Connector Block/Front Panel Connectors.

Hi, I having serious trouble with the connector block/pin connector,
I'm using a MSI K8N Neo Platinum nForce3 250 (Socket 754) (MS-7030)
Motherboard. There are two pin connectors with this motherboard JFP1
and JFP2, both have the power LED connector on each one, but I've only
got one lead (green +/white -) which one does it go in? Also here is a
description of the connector pins thus far.

I've placed the HDD pin into the connector block which stats HDD
(1and3) making sure the colored wire is placed into the + and the
white wire is in the "-" slot.

Next to this is the Reset (5and7) switch again I place the reset pin
into the connector leaving the last connector block pin spare (9).

Now I place the Power SW (6and8) pin into the connector block, as
earlier the "-" is the white wire and the "+" is the colored wire.

Pin 10 is left blank.

Now with regards to JFP2.... I noted that the speaker ( pin 2.4.6.8)
is not polarised so it can be connected either way round??? Now here
is the main problem the Power LED (green +/white -) does this go into
the JFP1 slot or the JFP2 slot? And what is the purpose of the GND
pin?

Thank-you in advance.

steveh

"sebastian." <anonymous@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I having serious trouble with the connector block/pin connector,
> I'm using a MSI K8N Neo Platinum nForce3 250 (Socket 754) (MS-7030)
> Motherboard. There are two pin connectors with this motherboard JFP1
> and JFP2, both have the power LED connector on each one, but I've only
> got one lead (green +/white -) which one does it go in? Also here is a
> description of the connector pins thus far.
>
> I've placed the HDD pin into the connector block which stats HDD
> (1and3) making sure the colored wire is placed into the + and the
> white wire is in the "-" slot.
>
> Next to this is the Reset (5and7) switch again I place the reset pin
> into the connector leaving the last connector block pin spare (9).
>
> Now I place the Power SW (6and8) pin into the connector block, as
> earlier the "-" is the white wire and the "+" is the colored wire.
>
> Pin 10 is left blank.
>
> Now with regards to JFP2.... I noted that the speaker ( pin 2.4.6.8)
> is not polarised so it can be connected either way round??? Now here
> is the main problem the Power LED (green +/white -) does this go into
> the JFP1 slot or the JFP2 slot? And what is the purpose of the GND
> pin?
>
> Thank-you in advance.

If they are both two pin, try either. You are only connecting an LED, it
will either light up or not. If not just turn the plug the other way round.

HTH
SteveH

Andy

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 17:31:30 GMT, sebastian. <anonymous@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>Hi, I having serious trouble with the connector block/pin connector,
>I'm using a MSI K8N Neo Platinum nForce3 250 (Socket 754) (MS-7030)
>Motherboard. There are two pin connectors with this motherboard JFP1
>and JFP2, both have the power LED connector on each one, but I've only
>got one lead (green +/white -) which one does it go in? Also here is a
>description of the connector pins thus far.
>
>I've placed the HDD pin into the connector block which stats HDD
>(1and3) making sure the colored wire is placed into the + and the
>white wire is in the "-" slot.
>
>Next to this is the Reset (5and7) switch again I place the reset pin
>into the connector leaving the last connector block pin spare (9).
>
>Now I place the Power SW (6and8) pin into the connector block, as
>earlier the "-" is the white wire and the "+" is the colored wire.
>
>Pin 10 is left blank.
>
>Now with regards to JFP2.... I noted that the speaker ( pin 2.4.6.8)
>is not polarised so it can be connected either way round??? Now here
>is the main problem the Power LED (green +/white -) does this go into
>the JFP1 slot or the JFP2 slot? And what is the purpose of the GND
>pin?

JFP2 is for Power LED connectors spaced 0.2" apart (white to pin 1,
green to pin5), while JFP1 is for connectors spaced 0.1" apart.

>Thank-you in advance.

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 01:22:21 GMT, Andy <1@2.3> wrote:

Sorry, I didn't understand... I'll write a few more lines to make
myself more coherent. On my motherboard manual it stats JFP1
MSG-LED-pull-up what does msg-led-pull-up mean?? The JFP2 - GND,
SLED/PLED, does my power LED go into this (sled/pled) pin connector
and what is the gnd used for???

Thank-you (kindest regards).

sebastian. wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 01:22:21 GMT, Andy <1@2.3> wrote:
>
> Sorry, I didn't understand... I'll write a few more lines to make
> myself more coherent. On my motherboard manual it stats JFP1
> MSG-LED-pull-up what does msg-led-pull-up mean?? The JFP2 - GND,
> SLED/PLED, does my power LED go into this (sled/pled) pin connector
> and what is the gnd used for???

An LED turns on with roughly 2 volts (varies depending on the LED) across
it but it's being driven by a 5 or 12 volt signal so a resistor is needed
to drop the voltage and limit the current through the LED.

That's the resistor they're calling a "pull-up."

e.g.

R (resistor) LED
+V -----/\/\/\/\/\/\/-------->|----- GND (ground)

In that circuit the '+' side of the LED goes to the resistor and the '-'
side to GND.

The above circuit has nothing turning the LED on/off and there's a couple
of ways to do that but I don't know which one your motherboard is using.

One typical method is

R (resistor) LED
+V -----/\/\/\/\/\/\/-------->|---- _ ----- GND (ground)
\ /\
\ /
------- Transistor

Control Signal

But in that case the LED is not connecting to 'GND' it is connecting to the
collector of the transistor. When the control signal turns the transistor
'on' it has the effect of connecting the LED to 'GND', through the
transistor, and when the control signal turns off the transistor the
current path to GND is blocked so the LED goes off.

Another way is

R (resistor) LED
+V -----/\/\/\/\/\/\/-------+------->|-------+---GND (ground)
| |
| _ ----------
\ /\
\ /
------- Transistor

Control Signal

In which case, when the transistor is turned on the resistor current goes
through the transistor instead of the LED so the LED is 'off'. When the
transistor is 'off' the circuit operates like the original, simple R-LED,
circuit up above and the LED glows.

It is when the resistor is used with what's called an "open collector" (in
the case of a transistor) that the term "pull up" is used. I.E. The
transistor can "pull down" it's collector (to GND) but something else, the
resistor, is needed to 'pull' the voltage on the collector 'up'. E.g. "pull
up."

Btw, the circuit drawings only work if your reader is using a fixed font as
won't line up as I drew it.

> Thank-you (kindest regards).
>

>>On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 17:31:30 GMT, sebastian. <anonymous@nowhere.com>
>>wrote:
>>

>>>Hi, I having serious trouble with the connector block/pin connector,
>>>I'm using a MSI K8N Neo Platinum nForce3 250 (Socket 754) (MS-7030)
>>>Motherboard. There are two pin connectors with this motherboard JFP1
>>>and JFP2, both have the power LED connector on each one, but I've only
>>>got one lead (green +/white -) which one does it go in? Also here is a
>>>description of the connector pins thus far.
>>>
>>>I've placed the HDD pin into the connector block which stats HDD
>>>(1and3) making sure the colored wire is placed into the + and the
>>>white wire is in the "-" slot.
>>>
>>>Next to this is the Reset (5and7) switch again I place the reset pin
>>>into the connector leaving the last connector block pin spare (9).
>>>
>>>Now I place the Power SW (6and8) pin into the connector block, as
>>>earlier the "-" is the white wire and the "+" is the colored wire.
>>>
>>>Pin 10 is left blank.
>>>
>>>Now with regards to JFP2.... I noted that the speaker ( pin 2.4.6.8)
>>>is not polarised so it can be connected either way round??? Now here
>>>is the main problem the Power LED (green +/white -) does this go into
>>>the JFP1 slot or the JFP2 slot? And what is the purpose of the GND
>>>pin?
>>
>>JFP2 is for Power LED connectors spaced 0.2" apart (white to pin 1,
>>green to pin5), while JFP1 is for connectors spaced 0.1" apart.
>>

>>>Thank-you in advance.

Andy

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 11:23:49 GMT, sebastian. <anonymous@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 01:22:21 GMT, Andy <1@2.3> wrote:
>
>Sorry, I didn't understand... I'll write a few more lines to make
>myself more coherent. On my motherboard manual it stats JFP1
>MSG-LED-pull-up what does msg-led-pull-up mean??

Pull up means both of those pins are connected to positive voltages.
The motherboard switches one of them to ground to turn on a two-color
LED to one color, and switches the other one to ground to turn on the
LED to the other color.

2.8.3.1.3 Power/Sleep/Message Waiting LED Connector
Pins 2 and 4 can be connected to a one- or two-color LED. Table 49
shows the possible states for a one-color LED. Table 50 shows the
possible states for a two-color LED.

Table 49. States for a One-Color Power LED
LED State Description
Off Power off/sleeping
Steady Green Running
Blinking Green Running/message waiting

Table 50. States for a Two-Color Power LED
LED State Description
Off Power off
Steady Green Running
Blinking Green Running/message waiting
Steady Yellow Sleeping
Blinking Yellow Sleeping/message waiting

NOTE
To use the message waiting function, ACPI must be enabled in the
operating system and a message-capturing application must be invoked.

>The JFP2 - GND,
>SLED/PLED, does my power LED go into this (sled/pled) pin connector

Yes

>and what is the gnd used for???
Either it could be hard wired to ground, thereby turning on the power
LED constantly, or, more likely, the motherboard could switch it to
ground to flash the LED (standby) or turn on the power LED
continuously.