Small Socket 940 Server?

I have 1GB of OCZ Registered ECC that was designed specifically for
Socket 940 motherboards. It was for a project about a year or so ago
that never materialized.

Right now I need to build a small Linux server for my home network.
Nothing fancy - mostly file serving, but it will also run
Apache/PHP/MySQL for some web development work that I do. It will run
headless and won't be use for gaming or any console apps.

The server does need to be small - I'd prefer mini ATX if there were a
mobo available. Anything out there in which I could use this memory?
Or is everything in Socket 940 currently sold really intended to be
server-class? I see a number of pricey dual processor boards but not
much else.

Or should I just sell or trade the memory?

"Eli" <no@one.com> wrote in message news:464ig1165ugge9hq4un2v77m0oi3977kqj@4ax.com...
>I have 1GB of OCZ Registered ECC that was designed specifically for
> Socket 940 motherboards. It was for a project about a year or so ago
> that never materialized.
>
> Right now I need to build a small Linux server for my home network.
> Nothing fancy - mostly file serving, but it will also run
> Apache/PHP/MySQL for some web development work that I do. It will run
> headless and won't be use for gaming or any console apps.
>
> The server does need to be small - I'd prefer mini ATX if there were a
> mobo available. Anything out there in which I could use this memory?
> Or is everything in Socket 940 currently sold really intended to be
> server-class? I see a number of pricey dual processor boards but not
> much else.
>
> Or should I just sell or trade the memory?

Maybe this will help: http://www.amdboard.com/opteron_boards.html

-- Bob Day
http://bobday.vze.com

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 18:10:05 -0600, Eli <no@one.com> wrote:

>I have 1GB of OCZ Registered ECC that was designed specifically for
>Socket 940 motherboards. It was for a project about a year or so ago
>that never materialized.
>
>Right now I need to build a small Linux server for my home network.
>Nothing fancy - mostly file serving, but it will also run
>Apache/PHP/MySQL for some web development work that I do. It will run
>headless and won't be use for gaming or any console apps.
>
>The server does need to be small - I'd prefer mini ATX if there were a
>mobo available. Anything out there in which I could use this memory?
>Or is everything in Socket 940 currently sold really intended to be
>server-class? I see a number of pricey dual processor boards but not
>much else.
>
>Or should I just sell or trade the memory?

miniATX <> socket 940 server

Sell it or build a full sized server.

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 01:03:18 GMT, "Bob Day" <xxxxxx@yyyyyy.com> wrote:

>"Eli" <no@one.com> wrote in message news:464ig1165ugge9hq4un2v77m0oi3977kqj@4ax.com...
>>I have 1GB of OCZ Registered ECC that was designed specifically for
>> Socket 940 motherboards. It was for a project about a year or so ago
>> that never materialized.
>>
>> Right now I need to build a small Linux server for my home network.
>> Nothing fancy - mostly file serving, but it will also run
>> Apache/PHP/MySQL for some web development work that I do. It will run
>> headless and won't be use for gaming or any console apps.
>>
>> The server does need to be small - I'd prefer mini ATX if there were a
>> mobo available. Anything out there in which I could use this memory?
>> Or is everything in Socket 940 currently sold really intended to be
>> server-class? I see a number of pricey dual processor boards but not
>> much else.
>>
>> Or should I just sell or trade the memory?
>
>Maybe this will help: http://www.amdboard.com/opteron_boards.html
>
>-- Bob Day
>http://bobday.vze.com

Thanks for the link. Lot's of food for thought there.