Motherboard for PC2100 RAM?

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Everything in the world of computers changes so fast these days - I know
that PC3700 RAM is now available. Thing is, a friend of mine bought 1GB of
PC2100 RAM for his machine just 2 months ago but his motherboard has now
gone faulty (RAM still OK-tested it in my computer).

Are there still any decent motherboards available that use PC2100 and if so,
what do the group recommend?

Cheers,

John.

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 18:12:30 +0100, "John"
<nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>Everything in the world of computers changes so fast these days - I know
>that PC3700 RAM is now available. Thing is, a friend of mine bought 1GB of
>PC2100 RAM for his machine just 2 months ago but his motherboard has now
>gone faulty (RAM still OK-tested it in my computer).
>
>Are there still any decent motherboards available that use PC2100 and if so,
>what do the group recommend?
>
>Cheers,
>
>John.

Memory is best used in conjunction with a CPU having
complimentary FSB. In other words, "most" modern CPUs how
have a higher FSB than would be optimally paired with PC2100
memory. However, most any motherboard that accepts DDR (1)
is backwards compatible. I suggest that you either buy a
motherboard to replace the one the friend had go bad, so
that system reuses same CPU, or for a completely new build
go with a Celeron-D as it still uses a lower FSB than a P4.

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

"kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 18:12:30 +0100, "John"
> <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>>Everything in the world of computers changes so fast these days - I know
>>that PC3700 RAM is now available. Thing is, a friend of mine bought 1GB of
>>PC2100 RAM for his machine just 2 months ago but his motherboard has now
>>gone faulty (RAM still OK-tested it in my computer).
>>
>>Are there still any decent motherboards available that use PC2100 and if
>>so,
>>what do the group recommend?
>>
>>Cheers,
>>
>>John.
>>

> Memory is best used in conjunction with a CPU having
> complimentary FSB. In other words, "most" modern CPUs how
> have a higher FSB than would be optimally paired with PC2100
> memory. However, most any motherboard that accepts DDR (1)
> is backwards compatible. I suggest that you either buy a
> motherboard to replace the one the friend had go bad, so
> that system reuses same CPU, or for a completely new build
> go with a Celeron-D as it still uses a lower FSB than a P4.

Thanks for that Kony, we'll look into it.

Cheers,

John.