graham

Hi, I've got a strange problem with a graphics card, on a very old PC. I
took the cards out while moving the back plate where the motherboard
is,trying to fit a new HDD, and then refitted it to the same slot. But
now, the card doesn't work! Normally, when I turn the PC on, the monitor
switches on, and the BIOS setting appear, and then the O/S kick in. But
now, no matter what I try, the card doesn't want to work. I've even
tried another card, but with no success. I've tried refitting the card
to another slot. Do you think the motherboard maybe be shot? It is a
rather old PC ( at least 6 years old...), running a 266MHz, slot 2
pentium, with a 5GIG (!!!) HDD, windows 95 (!) and a 8MB video card!!!
with an ISA sound card! and I'm tempted to ditch the machine, my friend
found it in a tip, and he's asking me if it is worth anything!!!
(Haahaahaa!!) Should I give up the ghost, or keep on trying to work out
what is wrong??
Graham

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 10:59:41 +0100, graham
<grahamremovethischapman@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi, I've got a strange problem with a graphics card, on a very old PC. I
>took the cards out while moving the back plate where the motherboard
>is,trying to fit a new HDD, and then refitted it to the same slot.

So essentially the potential stresses are ESD, mechanical
flexing, or dirty contacts now making (poorer contact).

>But
>now, the card doesn't work! Normally, when I turn the PC on, the monitor
>switches on, and the BIOS setting appear, and then the O/S kick in. But
>now, no matter what I try, the card doesn't want to work.

Are you 100% certain you've reconnected everything? You
might disconnect all parts again and examine the contacts
(on both board and adjoined part) and confirm all parts are
aligned good after reinstalled. Also try clearing CMOS with
AC disconnected. A box that age may have a failing battery,
check that too.

>I've even
>tried another card, but with no success. I've tried refitting the card
>to another slot. Do you think the motherboard maybe be shot? It is a
>rather old PC ( at least 6 years old...), running a 266MHz, slot 2
>pentium, with a 5GIG (!!!) HDD, windows 95 (!) and a 8MB video card!!!

If it worked prior to opening it up, no it's not that the
board is shot from age.

>with an ISA sound card! and I'm tempted to ditch the machine, my friend
>found it in a tip, and he's asking me if it is worth anything!!!

One might question why it was thrown away. Could be because
it's old, but could instead be because it does have a
continual or intermittent problem already.

>(Haahaahaa!!) Should I give up the ghost, or keep on trying to work out
>what is wrong??
>Graham

Does your friend have a reasonable use for a 7-8 year old
box? If so, it could be worth the time, if you have
plenty of time or the friend is a good friend. Otherwise,
cannibalize it for anything you might find useful and toss
the rest out.

graham

kony wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 10:59:41 +0100, graham
> <grahamremovethischapman@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>Hi, I've got a strange problem with a graphics card, on a very old PC. I
>>took the cards out while moving the back plate where the motherboard
>>is,trying to fit a new HDD, and then refitted it to the same slot.
>

> So essentially the potential stresses are ESD, mechanical
> flexing, or dirty contacts now making (poorer contact).
>

>>But
>>now, the card doesn't work! Normally, when I turn the PC on, the monitor
>>switches on, and the BIOS setting appear, and then the O/S kick in. But
>>now, no matter what I try, the card doesn't want to work.
>

> Are you 100% certain you've reconnected everything? You
> might disconnect all parts again and examine the contacts
> (on both board and adjoined part) and confirm all parts are
> aligned good after reinstalled. Also try clearing CMOS with
> AC disconnected. A box that age may have a failing battery,
> check that too.
>

>>I've even
>>tried another card, but with no success. I've tried refitting the card
>>to another slot. Do you think the motherboard maybe be shot? It is a
>>rather old PC ( at least 6 years old...), running a 266MHz, slot 2
>>pentium, with a 5GIG (!!!) HDD, windows 95 (!) and a 8MB video card!!!
>

> If it worked prior to opening it up, no it's not that the
> board is shot from age.
>

>>with an ISA sound card! and I'm tempted to ditch the machine, my friend
>>found it in a tip, and he's asking me if it is worth anything!!!
>

> One might question why it was thrown away. Could be because
> it's old, but could instead be because it does have a
> continual or intermittent problem already.
>

>>(Haahaahaa!!) Should I give up the ghost, or keep on trying to work out
>>what is wrong??
>>Graham
>

> Does your friend have a reasonable use for a 7-8 year old
> box? If so, it could be worth the time, if you have
> plenty of time or the friend is a good friend. Otherwise,
> cannibalize it for anything you might find useful and toss
> the rest out.

he's hoping to make a few bucks out of it, but You're right, I suppose
that's why the damm thing got ditched in the first place.... I did have
it going ONCE, but then it died, and no life now :-( The parts that are
any good here is the pitifully small HDD, the memory, ( I could sell the
memory onto Fleabay..) and perhaps the CD ROM, the rest looks like it's
going to the great PC grave....... Just think, a few years ago, this was
the dogs nuts!
Graham

Could be about 5 things.
Most likely the cable wrong way around on the HD or pins wring on the back
of it.
Next check that the mouse & keyboard are in properly.