cd player opening and closing constantly

The cd door keeps opening and closing. If I restart the computer,
it does stop for awhile. It appears that an AutoPlay function is being
called, but I can't find what is calling it. I have gone into Task Manager
while it is happening and there are no applications shown and none of
the processes seem to be active except TaskMgr.

I did a repair of operating system, have ran many
anti-virus programs (zero viruses) and spyware programs
(zero spyware) and cleaned the registry. I can't find
what is causing it.

Any suggestions??

Many Thanks!!!!
8
answers
Last reply
More about player opening closing constantly

    By the way, the cd-r/w is a Philips CDD4851

    Lyn wrote:
    > The cd door keeps opening and closing. If I restart the computer,
    > it does stop for awhile. It appears that an AutoPlay function is being
    > called, but I can't find what is calling it. I have gone into Task Manager
    > while it is happening and there are no applications shown and none of
    > the processes seem to be active except TaskMgr.
    >
    > I did a repair of operating system, have ran many
    > anti-virus programs (zero viruses) and spyware programs
    > (zero spyware) and cleaned the registry. I can't find
    > what is causing it.
    >
    > Any suggestions??
    >
    > Many Thanks!!!!

    Try running your anti-spyware/antivirus software prog in safe mode. Top
    of my head, it sounds like the Joke/Chospe [Panda] is running
    http://tinyurl.com/9kqmt
    Graham

    "graham" <grahamremovethischapman@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

    > Try running your anti-spyware/antivirus software prog in safe mode. Top
    > of my head, it sounds like the Joke/Chospe [Panda] is running
    > http://tinyurl.com/9kqmt
    > Graham

    Thanks Graham,
    That was my first thought too. If so, someone has found a much better
    way to hide it.

    "graham" <grahamremovethischapman@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

    > Try running your anti-spyware/antivirus software prog in safe mode. Top
    > of my head, it sounds like the Joke/Chospe [Panda] is running
    > http://tinyurl.com/9kqmt
    > Graham

    Thanks Graham, that did the trick although the puter is still running too
    slowly so I am going to format and reinstall anyway. But thanks again for
    the fix. I was able to find and fix the thing that was causing the
    problem.
    Spysweeper and counterspy both found it. It had a different name like
    funwebproducts.

    Lyn wrote:
    > The cd door keeps opening and closing. If I restart the computer,
    > it does stop for awhile. It appears that an AutoPlay function is being
    > called, but I can't find what is calling it. I have gone into Task Manager
    > while it is happening and there are no applications shown and none of
    > the processes seem to be active except TaskMgr.
    >
    > I did a repair of operating system, have ran many
    > anti-virus programs (zero viruses) and spyware programs
    > (zero spyware) and cleaned the registry. I can't find
    > what is causing it.
    >
    > Any suggestions??
    >
    > Many Thanks!!!!

    Do you have any cd/dvd burning software installed? That's the only
    software I can readily think of that opens & closes the tray, though
    usually only when you're burning discs!

    Is the tray retracting fully and closing properly? Sometimes if there's
    an obstruction then it will re-open on closing.

    If possible, try another drive in the PC, then you'll know if it's
    software to blame, or just a hardware fault with an old drive.

    "aleX" <aleX@no-email-address.com> wrote in message

    > If possible, try another drive in the PC, then you'll know if it's
    > software to blame, or just a hardware fault with an old drive.

    Great idea!!! I will do that if the spyware that I removed in safemode
    didn't fix it. Thanks!!!

    On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 11:46:35 -0400, "Lyn" <lyn777@bellsouth.net> put
    finger to keyboard and composed:

    >The cd door keeps opening and closing. If I restart the computer,
    >it does stop for awhile. It appears that an AutoPlay function is being
    >called, but I can't find what is calling it. I have gone into Task Manager
    >while it is happening and there are no applications shown and none of
    >the processes seem to be active except TaskMgr.
    >
    >I did a repair of operating system, have ran many
    >anti-virus programs (zero viruses) and spyware programs
    >(zero spyware) and cleaned the registry. I can't find
    >what is causing it.
    >
    >Any suggestions??
    >
    >Many Thanks!!!!

    It may be that the rubber drive belt is slipping and preventing the
    tray from hitting the end stop. The greatest resistance to movement
    would occur during disc clamping which happens just after the door has
    closed. Resetting the PC may temporarily reset the processor inside
    the CD drive. You can verify whether or not software is causing your
    problem by disconnecting the IDE ribbon cable and allowing the CD to
    close under its own control.

    - Franc Zabkar

    Lyn wrote:
    > "graham" <grahamremovethischapman@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
    >

    >>Try running your anti-spyware/antivirus software prog in safe mode. Top
    >>of my head, it sounds like the Joke/Chospe [Panda] is running
    >>http://tinyurl.com/9kqmt
    >>Graham
    >

    > Thanks Graham, that did the trick although the puter is still running too
    > slowly so I am going to format and reinstall anyway. But thanks again for
    > the fix. I was able to find and fix the thing that was causing the
    > problem.
    > Spysweeper and counterspy both found it. It had a different name like
    > funwebproducts.

    no problems, glad to help.!! ...
    Graham A+

Homebuilt CD-Rom Spyware Systems