cd player opening and closing constantly

The cd door keeps opening and closing. If I restart the computer,
it does stop for awhile. It appears that an AutoPlay function is being
called, but I can't find what is calling it. I have gone into Task Manager
while it is happening and there are no applications shown and none of
the processes seem to be active except TaskMgr.

I did a repair of operating system, have ran many
anti-virus programs (zero viruses) and spyware programs
(zero spyware) and cleaned the registry. I can't find
what is causing it.

Any suggestions??

Many Thanks!!!!

By the way, the cd-r/w is a Philips CDD4851

"Lyn" <lyn777@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> The cd door keeps opening and closing. If I restart the computer,
> it does stop for awhile. It appears that an AutoPlay function is being
> called, but I can't find what is calling it. I have gone into Task
Manager
> while it is happening and there are no applications shown and none of
> the processes seem to be active except TaskMgr.
>
> I did a repair of operating system, have ran many
> anti-virus programs (zero viruses) and spyware programs
> (zero spyware) and cleaned the registry. I can't find
> what is causing it.
>
> Any suggestions??
>
> Many Thanks!!!!

graham

Lyn wrote:
> The cd door keeps opening and closing. If I restart the computer,
> it does stop for awhile. It appears that an AutoPlay function is being
> called, but I can't find what is calling it. I have gone into Task Manager
> while it is happening and there are no applications shown and none of
> the processes seem to be active except TaskMgr.
>
> I did a repair of operating system, have ran many
> anti-virus programs (zero viruses) and spyware programs
> (zero spyware) and cleaned the registry. I can't find
> what is causing it.
>
> Any suggestions??
>
> Many Thanks!!!!

Try running your anti-spyware/antivirus software prog in safe mode. Top
of my head, it sounds like the Joke/Chospe [Panda] is running
http://tinyurl.com/9kqmt
Graham

"graham" <grahamremovethischapman@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

> Try running your anti-spyware/antivirus software prog in safe mode. Top
> of my head, it sounds like the Joke/Chospe [Panda] is running
> http://tinyurl.com/9kqmt
> Graham

Thanks Graham,
That was my first thought too. If so, someone has found a much better
way to hide it.

"graham" <grahamremovethischapman@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

> Try running your anti-spyware/antivirus software prog in safe mode. Top
> of my head, it sounds like the Joke/Chospe [Panda] is running
> http://tinyurl.com/9kqmt
> Graham

Thanks Graham, that did the trick although the puter is still running too
slowly so I am going to format and reinstall anyway. But thanks again for
the fix. I was able to find and fix the thing that was causing the
problem.
Spysweeper and counterspy both found it. It had a different name like
funwebproducts.

alex

Lyn wrote:
> The cd door keeps opening and closing. If I restart the computer,
> it does stop for awhile. It appears that an AutoPlay function is being
> called, but I can't find what is calling it. I have gone into Task Manager
> while it is happening and there are no applications shown and none of
> the processes seem to be active except TaskMgr.
>
> I did a repair of operating system, have ran many
> anti-virus programs (zero viruses) and spyware programs
> (zero spyware) and cleaned the registry. I can't find
> what is causing it.
>
> Any suggestions??
>
> Many Thanks!!!!

Do you have any cd/dvd burning software installed? That's the only
software I can readily think of that opens & closes the tray, though
usually only when you're burning discs!

Is the tray retracting fully and closing properly? Sometimes if there's
an obstruction then it will re-open on closing.

If possible, try another drive in the PC, then you'll know if it's
software to blame, or just a hardware fault with an old drive.

"aleX" <aleX@no-email-address.com> wrote in message

> If possible, try another drive in the PC, then you'll know if it's
> software to blame, or just a hardware fault with an old drive.

Great idea!!! I will do that if the spyware that I removed in safemode
didn't fix it. Thanks!!!

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 11:46:35 -0400, "Lyn" <lyn777@bellsouth.net> put
finger to keyboard and composed:

>The cd door keeps opening and closing. If I restart the computer,
>it does stop for awhile. It appears that an AutoPlay function is being
>called, but I can't find what is calling it. I have gone into Task Manager
>while it is happening and there are no applications shown and none of
>the processes seem to be active except TaskMgr.
>
>I did a repair of operating system, have ran many
>anti-virus programs (zero viruses) and spyware programs
>(zero spyware) and cleaned the registry. I can't find
>what is causing it.
>
>Any suggestions??
>
>Many Thanks!!!!

It may be that the rubber drive belt is slipping and preventing the
tray from hitting the end stop. The greatest resistance to movement
would occur during disc clamping which happens just after the door has
closed. Resetting the PC may temporarily reset the processor inside
the CD drive. You can verify whether or not software is causing your
problem by disconnecting the IDE ribbon cable and allowing the CD to
close under its own control.

- Franc Zabkar

graham

Lyn wrote:
> "graham" <grahamremovethischapman@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>

>>Try running your anti-spyware/antivirus software prog in safe mode. Top
>>of my head, it sounds like the Joke/Chospe [Panda] is running
>>http://tinyurl.com/9kqmt
>>Graham
>

> Thanks Graham, that did the trick although the puter is still running too
> slowly so I am going to format and reinstall anyway. But thanks again for
> the fix. I was able to find and fix the thing that was causing the
> problem.
> Spysweeper and counterspy both found it. It had a different name like
> funwebproducts.

no problems, glad to help.!! ...
Graham A+