Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • Windows 8
Last response: in News comments
July 18, 2012 10:13:23 PM

Release day: *cricket cricket*
Score
July 18, 2012 10:37:43 PM

Anyone one here planning on actually upgrading their desktops to Win8? Just curious.
Score
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 18, 2012 10:40:29 PM

*YAWN* I'm officially underwhelmed.
Score
July 18, 2012 10:44:55 PM

phatboeAnyone one here planning on actually upgrading their desktops to Win8? Just curious.

Me, but not on desktop at least not yet, i bought my mother an HP AIO with touch screen but it has only 2gb of ram (the damn thing is a laptop inside it uses frikin laptop Dimms ram) so i think W8 will be a little better with metro...i will use it if MS release an "old school" theme or a way to disable metro...officially of course if not when all aboard the W7 Sp2 Train.
Score
July 18, 2012 10:47:12 PM

Yeehhh!!!

I have been using the preview version and it seems to be working very well so far.
I will probably jump on the upgrade deal when it gets released to save a some money in the long run!!
I don't much care for the metro interface but after I learned my way around it I now have it setup they way I am used to it as in WinXP and Win7.

jer :) 
Score
July 18, 2012 10:48:42 PM

It's looking rather scary so moving it to October 30 (Devil's/Mischief Night) would make sense. Would give them a few more days for testing.
Score
Anonymous
July 18, 2012 11:04:30 PM

If I buy the upgrade, can I still use Vista and windows 8 as a dual boot?

Or do I loose my Vista completely, and be stuck with only windows 8?

If my windows Vista key still works on my PC, and I have the option to go back to it If I hate windows 8 then count me in. But if the "Upgrade" uttery makes my Vista key worthless and unable to use then I'll pass.
Score
July 18, 2012 11:08:17 PM

CanIdualbootvistaIf I buy the upgrade, can I still use Vista and windows 8 as a dual boot?Or do I loose my Vista completely, and be stuck with only windows 8?If my windows Vista key still works on my PC, and I have the option to go back to it If I hate windows 8 then count me in. But if the "Upgrade" uttery makes my Vista key worthless and unable to use then I'll pass.

Not that i know of but you would not want to go back in to windows vista after using 8 because you realize how much faster windows 8 is compared to vista but you coudl download the windows 8 RP version right now and dual boot but at anyrate windows 8 is far faster then even 7 of which it self is faster then windows vista
Score
July 18, 2012 11:10:50 PM

I'm more interested in the release date of the next version of Ubuntu then I am Windows 8.
Score
July 18, 2012 11:15:28 PM

Darn, was hoping they would release win 9 trough 20 before this metro crap!
Score
July 18, 2012 11:19:53 PM

nah i have no real reason to upgrade.
Score
July 18, 2012 11:26:48 PM

I'm upgrading. For the $40 I feel it's worth it to give Windows 8 a chance.

I'll just save an image of my current setup with win 7, and then if Windows 8 sucks, I can be back to my original setup in about 30 minutes anyways.
Score
Anonymous
July 18, 2012 11:29:54 PM

My windows vista after tweaked, is fine. All you vista haters always have made me laugh.

It has been proven time and time again, that it runs just fine for people with a brain. I have a windows 7 Pc with darn near the same system specs as the vista, and the benchmarks are very, very close.

Windows 7, has been, and was showed to be vista service pack 2. If you tweak what runs, and arnt a retard. It's a great OS. Never had a BSOD, no bad drivers, nodda.
Score
July 18, 2012 11:30:40 PM

beardguyI'm upgrading. For the $40 I feel it's worth it to give Windows 8 a chance. I'll just save an image of my current setup with win 7, and then if Windows 8 sucks, I can be back to my original setup in about 30 minutes anyways.

save the 80 bucks and download the preview. i doubt much will be changed
Score
July 18, 2012 11:34:53 PM

captaincharismasave the 80 bucks and download the preview. i doubt much will be changed

Yeah I've thought about it ... I'm always reluctant to install anything too early as it would be on my only desktop. Probably not bad advice though, cheers.
Score
July 18, 2012 11:40:43 PM

I will probably buy Windows 7 on October 26th. Windows 8 needs to fail really, really hard so Windows 9 will be something that makes sense on proper computers. Microsoft is trying to stage a coup by forcing all desktop users to the mobile market. If they succeed, Windows 9 won't even have a desktop mode and Microsoft will be the one to decide what software you can run on your computer.
Score
July 18, 2012 11:52:25 PM

Who cares, just hurry up and give us some tablets--a proper alternative to iOS and Android, and for the love of god, something where our apps aren't constantly crashing.
Score
July 18, 2012 11:53:02 PM

It's cheap enough to buy, but I don't see myself using it constantly on the desktop. Tablet/touchscreen is a different story however.
Score
July 18, 2012 11:57:48 PM

I am going to update to win 8 eventually. I am using the preview right now. I just watch video online and stuff like that. So Vista just has to go. Vista sucks anyway, so no big loss.
Score
July 19, 2012 12:23:48 AM

Windows 8's Doomsday has been set.

Score
July 19, 2012 1:19:00 AM

killerclickI will probably buy Windows 7 on October 26th. Windows 8 needs to fail really, really hard so Windows 9 will be something that makes sense on proper computers. Microsoft is trying to stage a coup by forcing all desktop users to the mobile market. If they succeed, Windows 9 won't even have a desktop mode and Microsoft will be the one to decide what software you can run on your computer.

It goes beyond that, Microsoft wants an "app store" so they can make even more money off their operating systems in the same way that they already do on the Xbox Live market place.

I really don't like the direction that personal computing is going...
Score
July 19, 2012 2:10:47 AM

I don't like where this is heading. Give me a GOOD OS for a desktop/laptop, and I will upgrade to it. I will be staying with Windows 7 until they manage to get their act together...
Score
July 19, 2012 2:16:13 AM

I don't like where this is heading. Give me a GOOD OS for a desktop/laptop, and I will upgrade to it. I will be staying with Windows 7 until they manage to get their act together...
Score
July 19, 2012 2:24:00 AM

phatboeAnyone one here planning on actually upgrading their desktops to Win8? Just curious.

I am definitely getting it for my touch screen netbook, it really works so much better than win7 ever did.
Still debating about getting it for the desktop... not so much for win8, but for the 'pro' part of the deal. It is a video editing machine with win7 home on it but I cannot do more than 16GB of ram with home edition. It would be cheaper to upgrade to 8pro for $40 to have 32GB of ram than to buy a new copy of win7 pro to unlock the Ram capacity. I'm also getting WP8, so there may be some (minor) advantage to having all 3 systems on the same basic OS.
If I do upgrade both of my machines, I may force my wife to upgrade as well so that we can domain the house... but she just might kill me if I touch her computer again (I kinda broke it the other day :X ).

But as much as I have enjoyed win8, it really is not for most people on a traditional desktop.
Score
July 19, 2012 2:24:21 AM

I'm on win8 right now; and if it wasn't for the metro UI I'd love everything about it.

I've got all my programs pinned to the bottom of the screen and I can use explorer for almost everything with out touching metro.
Score
July 19, 2012 2:38:46 AM

Not my desktop. I have an old laptop from 2009 that was still running Vista that I put the RC on over the weekend, and the speed difference is night-and-day.

I might also actually consider upgrading my media PC as well. It's often hard to read the text in Windows 7 while sitting on the couch, and in that respect if I could come up with a configuration that would let me stay in Metro most of the time, it seems like it could be a natural fit. Big buttons, maybe navigable via. the Harmony remote if I can get it to emulate arrow keys, etc.

The speed difference even over 7 is nice, the greatly improved boot time is nice, if there was just a way to disable Metro on the regular desktop and get the normal Windows UI back, they'd probably have a winner. As it is though, unless you have a noticeably slow machine, I couldn't recommend anyone upgrade their desktop at this point, because the UI is just plain worse in that setting.
Score
July 19, 2012 2:39:22 AM

captaincharismasave the 80 bucks and download the preview. i doubt much will be changed

Quite a few changes actuially;
Metro/Cosmo interface (no more Aero)
Stripping out more redundant/legacy code (as if being 1/2 the size of win7 was not small enough)
Huge improvements to multi monitor support including hard corners (to snap windows to 1/2 screen between 2 monitors), dedicated start menues, etc. (hopefully making programs like multimon entirely unnecessary)
Tweaking Metro for better keys/mouse support (already greatly improved between DP and CP)
native Multitouch commands for IE10 (possibly Metro version only)
There are always a ton of tiny little detail changes that are made at the end, but should be nothing worth writing home about.

However, for the most part it is done already.
Score
July 19, 2012 2:45:20 AM

caedenvdedicated start menues

Sorry, I meant dedicated task bars.

twelch82Not my desktop. I have an old laptop from 2009 that was still running Vista that I put the RC on over the weekend, and the speed difference is night-and-day.I might also actually consider upgrading my media PC as well. It's often hard to read the text in Windows 7 while sitting on the couch, and in that respect if I could come up with a configuration that would let me stay in Metro most of the time, it seems like it could be a natural fit. Big buttons, maybe navigable via. the Harmony remote if I can get it to emulate arrow keys, etc.The speed difference even over 7 is nice, the greatly improved boot time is nice, if there was just a way to disable Metro on the regular desktop and get the normal Windows UI back, they'd probably have a winner. As it is though, unless you have a noticeably slow machine, I couldn't recommend anyone upgrade their desktop at this point, because the UI is just plain worse in that setting.

Agreed, Win8 is simply faster, smaller, and handles system resources so much better than win8... it is just that Metro interface that gets in the way. I mean it is not that bad once you get use to it... but it isn't an improvement either... it is just different.
Score
July 19, 2012 3:24:25 AM

VistaHatersmakemelaughMy windows vista after tweaked, is fine. All you vista haters always have made me laugh.
I'm not a Vista hater. But back when it launched, it was subpar, and the driver situation was terrible - although that part wasn't Microsoft's fault. Either way, yes, after service packs and nice new stable drivers, Vista is fine. I've got a Vista box downstairs, it's perfectly good. But Win8 is still faster.
Score
Anonymous
July 19, 2012 4:18:49 AM

Everyone prepare to buy Windows 7
Score
July 19, 2012 5:53:45 AM

NoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooPE.
Score
July 19, 2012 7:10:19 AM

Quote:
Microsoft's Brandon LeBlanc. "We’ve continued to listen to our customers...
LOL!! No they didn't listen to anyone. If they did, the crap they farted out called Windows8 wouldn't be such garbage. Here is a shout out to the Microsoft Windows 8 Team and management : YOU FAILED!

Windows8 will be first MS GUI OS that nobody will pirate. And no, you cannot used the damn computer without using metro. Access to settings, programs (everything is an App), etc is metro... until you pin those to your desktop or task bar. The "start typing" is stupid since that is in Windows 7... in the start menu.

How hard would it have been to simply have the user option to use or NOT use Metro? None. But we know the game... MS wants to be Apple, in which they get their cut from ANY program that is sold. Why? because Windows is quickly becoming irreverent. Its a launcher for MS-Office and even that office suite is loosing it value. Proof: Compare the price of MS-Office today to the 2003, XP and 2000 versions. MS-Office used to cost $400~500, but you can get a 2~3 system/user licence for $125~250.

Windows 8 such garbage, that its not worth $40, its not worth $1 and it isn't even with using if Microsoft sent me a gift card for $50. Windows 8 is that bloody crappy. Why the hell would most of us want a touch-screen computer? I tried to use it, but everything is a pain in the ass. Charms popping up when you don't need them... or not when you do. Windows Key doing unexpected things... its ugly, not customizable, difficult and restrictive to use. Its metro Apps are substandard quality.

Yes, I can honestly say... you couldn't pay me $100 to install Windows8 on any of my computers that I use. Not a single computer. Its just not worth it.

I used 8bit computers, 16bit computers, MacOS, AmigaOS, MS-DOS (gag), Windows3, 95~98, XP etc. I've used beta OSes for much of my youth. I use Windows, iOS and Android every day - its not a big deal. It doesn't matter that they are different. Win8 Desktop will fail. Win8 tablets wil lfail because of lack of Apps and costs of tablets. Win8 Phone will fail because Win6/7 owners will remember how their devices threw orphaned. WinPhone7 market share is under 2% and is in worse shape than RIM.

2013 - the year Microsoft has a total flame out.
Score
July 19, 2012 7:27:55 AM

belardoLOL!! No they didn't listen to anyone

Your opinion, you do not represent me or anyone else, it's not as one sided as you think, but the haters and moaners are a lot louder.
Score
July 19, 2012 8:18:04 AM

I will get the upgrade disc, but I'll hold on upgrading until I bought an SSD.
Score
July 19, 2012 8:29:03 AM

Running the preview version now, so yes probably so. I've already made a recommendation to our boss to skip this version in the corporate enviroment however.
Score
July 19, 2012 8:30:10 AM

BloobI will get the upgrade disc, but I'll hold on upgrading until I bought an SSD.

I bought one of those seagate hybrid drives - win 8 boots to desktop in roughly 8 seconds
Score
July 19, 2012 9:48:25 AM

CanIdualbootvistaIf I buy the upgrade, can I still use Vista and windows 8 as a dual boot?Or do I loose my Vista completely, and be stuck with only windows 8?If my windows Vista key still works on my PC, and I have the option to go back to it If I hate windows 8 then count me in. But if the "Upgrade" uttery makes my Vista key worthless and unable to use then I'll pass.

you can use the windows 8 upgrade as a valid license for the installation of windows 7...
I'll be using this deal to upgrade a vista computer to windows 7.

NEVER will i be upgrading to the fail known as windows 8
Score
July 19, 2012 11:44:43 AM

Dont know about you guys, but for me the majority is just afraid of change, you guys are crying over a design change, windows 8 is far more improved than w7, its just a matter of time for everyone starting to like the metro.
Score
July 19, 2012 12:08:35 PM

andoverDont know about you guys, but for me the majority is just afraid of change, you guys are crying over a design change, windows 8 is far more improved than w7, its just a matter of time for everyone starting to like the metro.

I've got windows 8, but I don't like metro. I like it on my phone however.
Score
July 19, 2012 12:22:33 PM

thecolorblueyou can use the windows 8 upgrade as a valid license for the installation of windows 7...I'll be using this deal to upgrade a vista computer to windows 7.NEVER will i be upgrading to the fail known as windows 8

That's clever, but please don't, because MS will add you to the stats that show how popular W8 is. Me? Like so many others, I've loyally followed MS from DOS through Win3/3.1/95/98/2000/XP/Vista and 7. But this ends now. If W8 is the future, I'm staying put. For tablets, I'll stick with iOS and Android - Metro looks like something a 4 year old would use on a VTech 'computer'.
Score
July 19, 2012 12:50:29 PM

I might by a copy since i have a laptop coming for school. Just so i have the disk, I mean $15 doesn't sound too bad.
Score
July 19, 2012 1:21:38 PM

john_4You will accept and conform, obey....

Fine, don't buy it, stick with Windows 3.11 if you hate change so much
Score
July 19, 2012 1:33:03 PM

... windows 8 sux 10 times more, then windows me and windows vista combined... i like the engine guys @M$, but the design team sux big time... they tried metro on the zune to 'kill' or tickle iPod, and M$ failed... they tried metro and still use that tile crap in phones to make iPhone and android users laugh... now they trying to get a piece of the tablet pie, by fuckin up the one of two things, that is successful... the other thing is x-box... the one is windows...
Score
July 19, 2012 2:29:00 PM

Quote:
Microsoft Finally Sets Official Windows 8 Release Date

At least I now know when to sell my 100 shares by.
Score
July 19, 2012 2:32:32 PM

Will it be the flop that people here say that it is (or, perhaps, want it to be)? Or will it actually do well? Let the market speak for itself. We'll see what happens a few months after release.

If it does flop, then chances are Microsoft will go from "force-feed" mode (a la Vista) to "listen to the consumer" mode (a la Windows 7) during the development of Windows 9. That'll likely be the pattern from now on: force-feed--listen--force-feed--listen...
Score
July 19, 2012 4:02:31 PM

neiroatopelccI've got windows 8, but I don't like metro. I like it on my phone however.

You don't need to use Metro for anything more than logging in if you'd rather not use it. ViStart/ViOrb, Classic Shell, and many other programs can re-install a start menu so you can pretty much just ignore Metro if you dislike it. They're freeware and available at (among other places) softpedia/com and that site also has several other such programs. They'll work in the RTM and work in all Windows 8 previews.
Score
July 19, 2012 4:09:52 PM

If they do plan on increasing the upgrade price later, buy the copies you need at the lower price. They will have to change eventually because business will reject the upgrade due to the added training expenses. Remember how the Office Start Button was removed in Office 2012 because the average customer was confused as to where the File Menu was located? You don’t have to immediately install it to make a statement or you can modify it later if need be.
Score
July 19, 2012 4:14:38 PM

DjEaZy said:
... windows 8 sux 10 times more, then windows me and windows vista combined... i like the engine guys @M$, but the design team sux big time... they tried metro on the zune to 'kill' or tickle iPod, and M$ failed... they tried metro and still use that tile crap in phones to make iPhone and android users laugh... now they trying to get a piece of the tablet pie, by fuckin up the one of two things, that is successful... the other thing is x-box... the one is windows...

Funny, but WP is growing in popularity, Zunes are often called better than iPods even when many iPod owners are given one to try out by a friend, MS has other successful products (such as MS Office), and the only reason that Windows 8 could be said to suck is Metro, a UI that you don't even need to use if you use Windows 8 because you can simply install a freeware start menu replacement program.

Beyond that, you're comparing an OS that other than a UI that you don't even need to use extensively, has no serious problems, to OSs that failed for having wide varieties of severe problems. Heck, even with its problems, Vista still managed to get more market penetration than Linux and OSX combined in the consumer market. Vista didn't come close to killing XP, but to say that it failed is arguably incorrect. We don't say that iOS is a fail or that Android is a fail for not having almost the entire smart phone market right now.
Score
July 19, 2012 4:31:21 PM

Let's just be honest here.

The reason Metro is being forced on the Desktop is because it's the easiest way Microsoft can sell their app store and try to catch up with Apple and Google. There's really no other reason to have Metro on the Desktop other than for that.

To have Metro only on phones and tablets means Microsoft can't get much more market share. I mean how much share does Windows Phone have right now? Very little. That's the amount of market share Microsoft will have if Metro was only on tablets and phones. So yes, they're "Trojaning" it, much like Sony Trojan'd Blu-ray with the PlayStation 3 and sales suffered early on from the initial high costs.

Is Metro usable on the Desktop? Sure it is, but many see it as change-for-the-sake-of-change, their inner hedonist kicks in and says "DERP DISCOMFORT! WHY I NEEDZ 2 RELEARNZ DIS?" People want the most amount of pleasure in life with the least amount of "pain," and relearning things = "pain."

So yes, Microsoft is force-feeding Metro to everyone. That seems to be what everyone wants to hear on Tom's.

If you don't want Windows 8, don't get it. If you want it, get it. Personally I like it, and I can adapt, but I understand that not everyone can (or will). Like I said earlier, if Windows 8 is the steaming pile of dog crap that computer geeks want it to be, then Microsoft will very likely pull a "Windows 7" and actually listen to feedback to save face again...
Score
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!