slim PC cases? know of any?

Anyone know of where I could find a SLIM(low profile) computer case
with at least 2 5.25" bays?

Nothing fancy, I want to put in a micro-ATX or a regular ATX
motherboard. I wish to use micro-ATX motherboards but I hear they could
be phasing out, so a micro-atx case may be useless in the future.

also, I have an old 486 computer here...very small. But I notice that
inside it there is a PCI converter. So instead of putting in PCI cards
vertically...I can put them horizontally with this converter. This is a
great way to slim down PC cases. Know where I could buy these
converters??

thanks.

-jer

thin to me is 2-3 inches in height. width and depth are not a great
factor to me.

thanks for the tip, I didn't realize they were called "risers". NOW I
can finally search for the item on the internet. Great little
invention...

-jer

rjerry@myway.com wrote:
> Anyone know of where I could find a SLIM(low profile) computer case
> with at least 2 5.25" bays?

Depends on how you define 'thin'. You might want to look at half height, or
notebook, drives so two fit in the space of one.

> Nothing fancy, I want to put in a micro-ATX or a regular ATX
> motherboard. I wish to use micro-ATX motherboards but I hear they could
> be phasing out, so a micro-atx case may be useless in the future.
>
> also, I have an old 486 computer here...very small. But I notice that
> inside it there is a PCI converter. So instead of putting in PCI cards
> vertically...I can put them horizontally with this converter. This is a
> great way to slim down PC cases. Know where I could buy these
> converters??

They're called "risers" and come in all types too so you're looking for a
"PCI Riser." Do a search but here is an example...

http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=8

> thanks.
>
> -jer

That case is very close to what I've been trying to look for. But the
only problem is that I need two 5.25 bays!

rjerry@myway.com wrote:
> thin to me is 2-3 inches in height. width and depth are not a great
> factor to me.
>
> thanks for the tip, I didn't realize they were called "risers". NOW I
> can finally search for the item on the internet. Great little
> invention...

Note that you cannot use a riser with multiple PCI slots unless the
riser has a provision to get the slot specific signals from other slots
on the motherboard. Normally, a daughter card that cables over from the
riser card to the PCI slots on the motherboard is used.

See "http://evercase.com/newsite/2product/e0229.htm"

rjerry@myway.com wrote:
> That case is very close to what I've been trying to look for. But the
> only problem is that I need two 5.25 bays!

The Aopen H360 is what you are looking for.
http://english.aopen.com.tw/products/housing/h360.htm

Load the video and look at #2. It is configurable for two 5.25" drives.

But it only supports low-profile PCI cards, no riser card option as the
rear slots cannot be rotated.