usb means no firewall?

sharon

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

hi everyone

i have a netcomm nb5 adsl modem that supports both usb and ethernet. the
modem provides a firewall.

according to my understanding of how things work, the firewall is provided
by the router. the router is only used when you connect through the
ethernet because several computers can be connected. the router is not used
when connected through the usb because there's only one computer. so
there's no firewall if connected through the usb.

is it how it works? thanks for your comments

sharon wrote:
> hi everyone
>
> i have a netcomm nb5 adsl modem that supports both usb and ethernet. the
> modem provides a firewall.
>
> according to my understanding of how things work, the firewall is provided
> by the router. the router is only used when you connect through the
> ethernet because several computers can be connected. the router is not used
> when connected through the usb because there's only one computer. so
> there's no firewall if connected through the usb.
>
> is it how it works? thanks for your comments

The USB is just another 'port' and can be used at the same time as the
ethernet port. In other words, it's 'routed'.

It's also on the firewall.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On 29 Aug 2005 11:36:47 +1000, sharon
<sharon@dontspamme.com> wrote:

>hi everyone
>
>i have a netcomm nb5 adsl modem that supports both usb and ethernet. the
>modem provides a firewall.

I"m not familiar with that "modem" but if it provides a
firewall in any configuration then it's not just a modem as
most "modems" are, but rather a multi-function device.

>according to my understanding of how things work, the firewall is provided
>by the router.

Then it has a router built in?

> the router is only used when you connect through the
>ethernet because several computers can be connected. the router is not used
>when connected through the usb because there's only one computer. so
>there's no firewall if connected through the usb.
>
>is it how it works? thanks for your comments

It depends on how it achieves this USB connection. If it is
a client (modem) to host connection, no you wouldn't have
router functionality unless this is more integrated that I
would expect it to be, BUT if the USB is a terminating in a
network bridge inside the "modem", if the system sees the
USB connection as a network adapter, then yes it could
"potentially" be able to route and firewall that PC as well
as any on other ports.

OK... I took a look at the manual and see the following:

---------------------------------

"The NB5 can be connected via a USB cable or an Ethernet
cable or both. The reason for this is that
the USB connection is simply an ethernet simulation, as far
as your computer is concerned the USB
connection is an Ethernet connection, hence DHCP and other
protocols will work the same as for Ethernet."

---------------------------------

So from the above quote it does appear that the latter
option I'd proposed is that implemented, that it "should" be
able to firewall through USB because of the way it treats
the USB as a network connection.

jad

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

If the USB is 'emulated Ethernet then all works as if you were on a NIC

"David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in message
> sharon wrote:
> > hi everyone
> >
> > i have a netcomm nb5 adsl modem that supports both usb and ethernet. the
> > modem provides a firewall.
> >
> > according to my understanding of how things work, the firewall is
provided
> > by the router. the router is only used when you connect through the
> > ethernet because several computers can be connected. the router is not
used
> > when connected through the usb because there's only one computer. so
> > there's no firewall if connected through the usb.
> >
> > is it how it works? thanks for your comments
>
> The USB is just another 'port' and can be used at the same time as the
> ethernet port. In other words, it's 'routed'.
>
> It's also on the firewall.

You sure about that? I just had to install a brand new cable modem
(lightning got the old one) and the instructions specifically stated to use
one *OR* the other. Not both.

Lightning also fried all the PCI slots on the MOBO (due to a PCI LAN card)

At any rate, we were doing wireless networking at that location with the
computer closest to the router on a cat 5 cable.

With no way to get a cat 5 connection into the lighning hit computer, I had
to use USB. This eliminated everything else on the network until I replaced
the semi-smoked MOBO.

TFM®

TFM® wrote:
> "David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in message
>
>>sharon wrote:
>>
>>>hi everyone
>>>
>>>i have a netcomm nb5 adsl modem that supports both usb and ethernet. the
>>>modem provides a firewall.
>>>
>>>according to my understanding of how things work, the firewall is
>
> provided
>
>>>by the router. the router is only used when you connect through the
>>>ethernet because several computers can be connected. the router is not
>
> used
>
>>>when connected through the usb because there's only one computer. so
>>>there's no firewall if connected through the usb.
>>>
>>>is it how it works? thanks for your comments
>>
>>The USB is just another 'port' and can be used at the same time as the
>>ethernet port. In other words, it's 'routed'.
>>
>>It's also on the firewall.
>>

> You sure about that?

Yes, because I use a secret engineering trick: I google for and look at the
data sheet.

http://www.netcomm.com.au/Spec_Sheets/NB5_info.pdf

On the picture showing all the connections it specifically says "USB/RJ45
ports can be used simultaneously."

> I just had to install a brand new cable modem
> (lightning got the old one) and the instructions specifically stated to use
> one *OR* the other. Not both.

Then yours can't.

Can't say for sure because you didn't say what model your is but maybe it's
just a modem and not a modem/NAT router like the NB5 is.

TFM® wrote:
> "David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in message
>
>>sharon wrote:
>>
>>>hi everyone
>>>
>>>i have a netcomm nb5 adsl modem that supports both usb and ethernet. the
>>>modem provides a firewall.
>>>
>>>according to my understanding of how things work, the firewall is
>
> provided
>
>>>by the router. the router is only used when you connect through the
>>>ethernet because several computers can be connected. the router is not
>
> used
>
>>>when connected through the usb because there's only one computer. so
>>>there's no firewall if connected through the usb.
>>>
>>>is it how it works? thanks for your comments
>>
>>The USB is just another 'port' and can be used at the same time as the
>>ethernet port. In other words, it's 'routed'.
>>
>>It's also on the firewall.
>>

> You sure about that? I just had to install a brand new cable modem
> (lightning got the old one) and the instructions specifically stated to use
> one *OR* the other. Not both.

One or the other what? We're not mind readers.

The OP also didn't specify if his modem was connected to a router or if
he expects us to look up all the technical specs for his particular
modem and determine if it has router functionality and which type of
firewall it uses: SPI or just basic NAT. If it's the latter, and he's
not connected it to a router which provides SPI, he really should be
using a software firewall on his system.

> Lightning also fried all the PCI slots on the MOBO (due to a PCI LAN card)
>
> At any rate, we were doing wireless networking at that location with the
> computer closest to the router on a cat 5 cable.
>
> With no way to get a cat 5 connection into the lighning hit computer, I had
> to use USB.

USB to wireless adapter? Be specific please.

> This eliminated everything else on the network until I replaced
> the semi-smoked MOBO.
>

> TFM®

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

yogi

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

On 29 Aug 2005 11:36:47 +1000, sharon <sharon@dontspamme.com> wrote:

>hi everyone
>
>i have a netcomm nb5 adsl modem that supports both usb and ethernet. the
>modem provides a firewall.
>
>according to my understanding of how things work, the firewall is provided
>by the router. the router is only used when you connect through the
>ethernet because several computers can be connected. the router is not used
>when connected through the usb because there's only one computer. so
>there's no firewall if connected through the usb.
>
>is it how it works? thanks for your comments

I also have the NetComm NB5 Modem/Router and the way I read to
information, you are protected by the firewall both ways, however I
was using a software firewall before I purchased the NB5 and I still
do use it.
If you want to run some test you could try these 2 sites that I
believe safe and well known:
http://scan.sygatetech.com/
1.Quick Scan (about 30sec)
2.Stealth Scan (about 30sec)

http://www.grc.com/default.htm
Go down the page to Shields Up
at the bottom of the page is a proceed button, click on it ant the
popup continue twice.
Check the 1.Common Ports 2.All Service Ports.

Cheers
Keith

eTrust EZ Antivirus Protection
Version 7.0.7.7
Engine Version 11.9.1
©2004 Computer Associates International, Inc
Update Version 9363
Update Date August 26 2005

yogi

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 20:26:07 +1000, yogi <yogi@yellowstone.np> wrote:

>On 29 Aug 2005 11:36:47 +1000, sharon <sharon@dontspamme.com> wrote:
>
>>hi everyone
>>
>>i have a netcomm nb5 adsl modem that supports both usb and ethernet. the
>>modem provides a firewall.
>>
>>according to my understanding of how things work, the firewall is provided
>>by the router. the router is only used when you connect through the
>>ethernet because several computers can be connected. the router is not used
>>when connected through the usb because there's only one computer. so
>>there's no firewall if connected through the usb.
>>
>>is it how it works? thanks for your comments
>
>I also have the NetComm NB5 Modem/Router and the way I read to
>information, you are protected by the firewall both ways, however I
>was using a software firewall before I purchased the NB5 and I still
>do use it.
>If you want to run some test you could try these 2 sites that I
>believe safe and well known:
>http://scan.sygatetech.com/
>1.Quick Scan (about 30sec)
>2.Stealth Scan (about 30sec)
>
>http://www.grc.com/default.htm
>Go down the page to Shields Up, and click on it.
>at the bottom of the page is a proceed button, click on it ant the
>popup continue twice.
>Check the 1.Common Ports 2.All Service Ports.
>
>Cheers
>Keith
>

>eTrust EZ Antivirus Protection
>Version 7.0.7.7
>Engine Version 11.9.1
>©2004 Computer Associates International, Inc
>Update Version 9363
>Update Date August 26 2005

I purchased the NB3 first, and when I tested it at those two sites
with out my software firewall running, both sites blew it to hell, so
I returned the NB3 and purchased the NB5 instead, and I am very
pleased with it.

Cheers
Keith

eTrust EZ Antivirus Protection
Version 7.0.7.7
Engine Version 11.9.1
©2004 Computer Associates International, Inc
Update Version 9365
Update Date August 29 2005