Network password

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
June 14, 2005 1:31:16 AM

I have tried setting up my Netgear WGR614 v1 (firmware 1.4) with WPA-PSK.
When I set my password and tried to log back in, I got this error
message:

The network password needs to be 40bits or 104bits depending on your
network configuration. This can be entered as 5 or 13 ascii characters or
10 or 26 hexadecimal characters.

What does this mean?
What 'Key Lifetetime' should I set (minutes)?

Also, if I have this enabled, does this mean I do not need to use Zone
Alarm anymore?

More about : network password

Anonymous
June 14, 2005 8:19:15 AM

"Amy" <amygooglegroups@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:EWmre.22250$iy2.15936@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net...
> I have tried setting up my Netgear WGR614 v1 (firmware 1.4) with WPA-PSK.
> When I set my password and tried to log back in, I got this error
> message:
>
> The network password needs to be 40bits or 104bits depending on your
> network configuration. This can be entered as 5 or 13 ascii characters or
> 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters.
>
> What does this mean?

This means that if you enter the password as hexadecimal characters,
you must type exactly 10 characters (5 bytes) for 40-bit key,
or exactly 26 characters (13 bytes) for 104-bit key).
If you typed other number of characters than 10 or 26, or any
character that is not a hexadecimal digit, this is interpreted as ascii string.
In this mode, each character is a byte by itself.
So, valid length of the string in this case is either 5 or 13 charachers.
If this condition is not met, the string can't be accepted as a valid password.
Please check carefully what you type.
Perhaps you typed letter O instead if zero, or small L instead of 1 etc.

Regards,
--PA
Anonymous
June 8, 2009 11:53:25 AM

Hey,

just install your latest driver for networking hardware (wireless LAN card). I did that with my intel hardware and it did the trick. My previous driver was dated to 2002.

Miha
Related resources
July 11, 2009 8:08:08 AM

I am getting this error.. odd thing is my XP computer was connecting fine until I updated my driver to the current version. I didn't change my network password from the previous driver version and my other computer (Vista) still connects fine with the same password which is eight characters.

So all of the sudden the password I have used for a year is not working on XP computer with the driver update, yet it is fine on the Vista laptop... confusing

I suppose I will go back and try the old driver..
September 30, 2009 8:09:57 PM

One way I've tried and it worked was that you need to be sure what the settings you've put when you set the security of your wireless (such as Security Type, Encryption Type etc.) are and they have to compatible with your laptop version.
Older versions usually have 64bitWEP or 128bit WEP and newer versions have WPA, WPA2-Personal(PSK).

The 64bit and 128bit require 5 or 13 hex characters. These characters can be obtained from when setting up the wireless (it'll ask you to put the characters and those characters will be automatically converted into hex characters which you need to remember as they are the wireless password).

The WPA or WPA2-Personal(PSK) are easier to set up and the passwords are just normal characters as you want it to be.

So go on your wireless security set up page and re-set the password or the network type and it should help :)  :)  :wahoo:  :wahoo:

Punim
!