Looking for Hard Drive Rails . . . .

Hello Group, I'm looking for hard drive rails...! Oh, I can find those
thin, stamped steel cheapie ones that come with those self taping screws
that cannot really self-tap into anything - but I don't want those...!

I used to be able to buy a really good set from a supplier in Ohio for $1.00
per set of 2, but they closed. I see the same ones in CompUSA, but they are
bubble packaged and sell for 10.00 each(bundled with a HD ribbon cable).

Can anyone point me to a seller that carries decent hard drive rails ? ? ?

Thanks..!

Starz_Kid...

Starz_Kid wrote:

> Hello Group, I'm looking for hard drive rails...! Oh, I can find those
> thin, stamped steel cheapie ones that come with those self taping screws
> that cannot really self-tap into anything - but I don't want those...!
>
> I used to be able to buy a really good set from a supplier in Ohio for $1.00
> per set of 2, but they closed. I see the same ones in CompUSA, but they are
> bubble packaged and sell for 10.00 each(bundled with a HD ribbon cable).
>
> Can anyone point me to a seller that carries decent hard drive rails ? ? ?

Try here:

http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/nsearch?catalog=directron&query=
rails&.autodone=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.directron.com%2Ffloppyrails.html

Bryan

> Thanks..!
>
> Starz_Kid...

Stephen

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 03:13:48 GMT, "Starz_Kid" <Starz_Kid@inter.net>
wrote:

>Hello Group, I'm looking for hard drive rails...! Oh, I can find those
>thin, stamped steel cheapie ones that come with those self taping screws
>that cannot really self-tap into anything - but I don't want those...!
>
>I used to be able to buy a really good set from a supplier in Ohio for $1.00
>per set of 2, but they closed. I see the same ones in CompUSA, but they are
>bubble packaged and sell for 10.00 each(bundled with a HD ribbon cable).
>
>Can anyone point me to a seller that carries decent hard drive rails ? ? ?
>
>Thanks..!
>
>Starz_Kid...

http://www.cyberguys.com look for device mounting kits.

Stephen

Stephen wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 03:13:48 GMT, "Starz_Kid" <Starz_Kid@inter.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Hello Group, I'm looking for hard drive rails...! Oh, I can find those
> >thin, stamped steel cheapie ones that come with those self taping screws
> >that cannot really self-tap into anything - but I don't want those...!
> >
> >I used to be able to buy a really good set from a supplier in Ohio for $1.00
> >per set of 2, but they closed. I see the same ones in CompUSA, but they are
> >bubble packaged and sell for 10.00 each(bundled with a HD ribbon cable).
> >
> >Can anyone point me to a seller that carries decent hard drive rails ? ? ?
> >
> >Thanks..!
> >
> >Starz_Kid...
> >

> http://www.cyberguys.com look for device mounting kits.

Oooh! *HDD* mounting kits. Sorry 'bout that. I searched similar at
directron, and they've got the .99 babies. Minmum 10.00 order though
though, I think. Another caveat - they're on sale, and regular price
is 4.00.

http://store.yahoo.com/directron/mis-kit-hd.html

Bryan

<bhoover@wecs.com> wrote in message
> Stephen wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 03:13:48 GMT, "Starz_Kid" <Starz_Kid@inter.net>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >Hello Group, I'm looking for hard drive rails...! Oh, I can find
those
> > >thin, stamped steel cheapie ones that come with those self taping
screws
> > >that cannot really self-tap into anything - but I don't want those...!
> > >
> > >I used to be able to buy a really good set from a supplier in Ohio for
$1.00
> > >per set of 2, but they closed. I see the same ones in CompUSA, but
they are
> > >bubble packaged and sell for 10.00 each(bundled with a HD ribbon
cable).

> > >Can anyone point me to a seller that carries decent hard drive rails ?
? ?

> > >Thanks..!
> > >
> > >Starz_Kid...
> > >

> > http://www.cyberguys.com look for device mounting kits.
>
> Oooh! *HDD* mounting kits. Sorry 'bout that. I searched similar at
> directron, and they've got the .99 babies. Minmum 10.00 order though
> though, I think. Another caveat - they're on sale, and regular price
> is 4.00.
>
> http://store.yahoo.com/directron/mis-kit-hd.html
>
> Bryan
>
> > Stephen
> > --

Hello Sephen, Thanks for your help but the ones you found on Directron are
the thin ones with self taping screws that don't self-tap . . . .!

Thanks for your effort though....

Starz_Kid...

?

> >Thanks..!
> >
> >Starz_Kid...
> >

> http://www.cyberguys.com look for device mounting kits.
>
> Stephen
> --

Hello Stephen, Yep . . . . these are the ones I used to buy...! I'm
ordering 10 sets of them.

Thanks....!

Starz_Kid...

Starz_Kid wrote:

> <bhoover@wecs.com> wrote in message
> > Stephen wrote:

> those
> screws

> $1.00
> they are
> cable).

> ? ?

> > > http://www.cyberguys.com look for device mounting kits.
> >
> > Oooh! *HDD* mounting kits. Sorry 'bout that. I searched similar at
> > directron, and they've got the .99 babies. Minmum 10.00 order though
> > though, I think. Another caveat - they're on sale, and regular price
> > is 4.00.
> >
> > http://store.yahoo.com/directron/mis-kit-hd.html
> >
> > Bryan
> >
> > > Stephen
> > > --
> >

> Hello Sephen, Thanks for your help but the ones you found on Directron are
> the thin ones with self taping screws that don't self-tap . . . .!
>
> Thanks for your effort though....
>
> Starz_Kid...

He's Stephen. I'm Bryan. And I gotta admit, I really don't know the
difference between a self tapping screw, and a Riverdancer. But I'm
glad you got it worked out - albeit, for a bit more than 99 cents.

Bryan

On 30 Aug 2005 03:14:02 -0000, bhoover@wecs.com
<bhoover@wecs.com> wrote:

>He's Stephen. I'm Bryan. And I gotta admit, I really don't know the
>difference between a self tapping screw, and a Riverdancer. But I'm
>glad you got it worked out - albeit, for a bit more than 99 cents.

The Directron et al type with very thin sheet metal
essentially have to deform as the screw is forced into them,
as they're not thick enough for multiple threads to be cut
when manufacturered, so only one turn of the screw thread
holds the screw in.

Think piece-of-paper with a tiny round hole in it, how well
will a screw tap and hold into it after screwing or
unscrewing it a few times, compared to a much thicker piece
of wood? The older type of drive rails are not only
thicker, but the screw threads are already tapped into them
when manufacturered. I'm a bit surprised that Directron
even sells those thin ones as the better type aren't all
that expensive- It doesn't seem so long ago that retail
packaged drives usually came with these rails.

kony wrote:

> On 30 Aug 2005 03:14:02 -0000, bhoover@wecs.com
> <bhoover@wecs.com> wrote:
>
> >He's Stephen. I'm Bryan. And I gotta admit, I really don't know the
> >difference between a self tapping screw, and a Riverdancer. But I'm
> >glad you got it worked out - albeit, for a bit more than 99 cents.
>
> The Directron et al type with very thin sheet metal
> essentially have to deform as the screw is forced into them,
> as they're not thick enough for multiple threads to be cut
> when manufacturered, so only one turn of the screw thread
> holds the screw in.
>
> Think piece-of-paper with a tiny round hole in it, how well
> will a screw tap and hold into it after screwing or
> unscrewing it a few times, compared to a much thicker piece
> of wood? The older type of drive rails are not only
> thicker, but the screw threads are already tapped into them
> when manufacturered. I'm a bit surprised that Directron
> even sells those thin ones as the better type aren't all
> that expensive- It doesn't seem so long ago that retail
> packaged drives usually came with these rails.

I've still got the box - I am such a pack rat, and the box looks like
new - of 6GB WD drive from around '97, I think. The unused drive
rails in the box appear to be pre-tapped - threaded. No screws, but I
may have used them.

Should forward this thread to Directron.

Bryan

On 30 Aug 2005 12:08:56 -0000, bhoover@wecs.com
<bhoover@wecs.com> wrote:

<snip>

>>It doesn't seem so long ago that retail
>> packaged drives usually came with these rails.
>
>I've still got the box - I am such a pack rat, and the box looks like
>new - of 6GB WD drive from around '97, I think. The unused drive
>rails in the box appear to be pre-tapped - threaded. No screws, but I
>may have used them.
>
>Should forward this thread to Directron.

I'm fairly sure I recall some 40GB drives having them from 3
years ago, maybe even more recently but then the price of
HDDs fell through the floor and warranties started changing
too.

Stephen

wrote:

>Starz_Kid wrote:
>>
>> <bhoover@wecs.com> wrote in message

>> those
>> screws

>> $1.00
>> they are
>> cable).

>> ? ?

>> > Oooh! *HDD* mounting kits. Sorry 'bout that. I searched similar at
>> > directron, and they've got the .99 babies. Minmum 10.00 order though
>> > though, I think. Another caveat - they're on sale, and regular price
>> > is 4.00.
>> >
>> > http://store.yahoo.com/directron/mis-kit-hd.html
>> >
>> > Bryan

>> Hello Sephen, Thanks for your help but the ones you found on Directron are
>> the thin ones with self taping screws that don't self-tap . . . .!
>>
>> Thanks for your effort though....
>>
>> Starz_Kid...
>
>He's Stephen. I'm Bryan. And I gotta admit, I really don't know the
>difference between a self tapping screw, and a Riverdancer. But I'm
>glad you got it worked out - albeit, for a bit more than 99 cents.
>
>Bryan

The 3.5 to 5.25 HD adapters on cyberguys.com are just like the one
Compusa overcharges for.

Stephen

> On 30 Aug 2005 03:14:02 -0000, bhoover@wecs.com <bhoover@wecs.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Starz_Kid wrote:
> >>
> >> <bhoover@wecs.com> wrote in message

> >> those
> >> screws

> >> $1.00
> >> they are
> >> cable).

> >> ? ?

> >> Hello Sephen, Thanks for your help but the ones you found on Directron
are
> >> the thin ones with self taping screws that don't self-tap . . . .!
> >>
> >> Thanks for your effort though....
> >>
> >> Starz_Kid...
> >
> >He's Stephen. I'm Bryan. And I gotta admit, I really don't know the
> >difference between a self tapping screw, and a Riverdancer. But I'm
> >glad you got it worked out - albeit, for a bit more than 99 cents.
> >
> >Bryan
> >

> The 3.5 to 5.25 HD adapters on cyberguys.com are just like the one
> Compusa overcharges for.
>
> Stephen
> --

Hello Stephen, Yes.... I could tell that from the pic on the Cyberguys web
page.
Thanks for the info...

Starz_Kid...