help with securing network

Last response: in Wireless Networking
June 13, 2005 6:35:04 PM

I just got a laptop with a wireless LAN. I already have a wireless router and
I'd like to know how to connect to the Internet without having to plug in any
cords. The SSID of my router is available as a wireless network but is
unsecured. How do I secure it, or even better, how do I make my own network
that actually works? Thanks.

More about : securing network

Anonymous
June 13, 2005 10:06:56 PM

"lilsnowdrops" <lilsnowdrops@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just got a laptop with a wireless LAN. I already have a wireless router
>and
> I'd like to know how to connect to the Internet without having to plug in
> any
> cords. The SSID of my router is available as a wireless network but is
> unsecured. How do I secure it, or even better, how do I make my own
> network
> that actually works? Thanks.

Take a look at the documentation that came with your router-- it will lay it
out pretty simply for you. If you don't have the manual or CD, go to their
website-- same deal. In short, RTFM.

Failing that, there's several threads a day in this NG that spell it out
too...

Doc
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 11:14:15 PM

These FAQs from the Broadband Reports forums may be of some help with this issue...Consider using
WPA (either AES (best) or TKIP) if your hardware supports it...

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/wifisecurity
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/wlan/40.0%20Security

As noted by "Doc", read your users manuals that will, or should, explain the basics for connecting
to your wireless router... Also, see this page for some basic help...

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/wireless_en...

An online key generator...

http://www.warewolflabs.com/portfolio/programming/wlans...

--