Request opinions on this system

sc

Distinguished
May 3, 2004

I do a lot of graphics and multimedia stuff, plus some games. Don't have a
ton of money so I'm looking for best bang for the buck. Would you please
let me know what you think?

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Dual processor
Asus A8N-3 Motherboard
Samsung PC3200 RAM 2 GIGs
Seagate Barracuda 300GB SATA HD
Sapphire Radeon X800 GT 256 MB Video Card
Viewsonic GS790 monitor (I already have this)

==============

Any suggestions? Seem like a good combo of components?

Thanks.

Sounds powerful and effective.

--
DaveW

SC wrote:

" AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Dual processor "

Given that Newegg has the X2 for the following prices, I see no better
value than the 3800+.

X2 3800+ 2.0GHz 512KB $374.00
X2 4200+ 2.2GHz 512KB $473.00
X2 4400+ 2.2GHz 1MB $559.00
X2 4600+ 2.4GHz 512KB $690.00
X2 4800+ 2.4GHz 1MB $884.00

I hear so many people recommending the X2 4400+ because it's the
cheapest X2 with 2x 1MB L2 cache. The on-die memory controller doesn't
benefit from L2 cache as much as other sockets have needed it, hence the
fact that a 0.2GHz clock increase outperforms a doubling of the cache.

" Asus A8N-3 Motherboard "

Are you sure you don't mean the A8N-E ?

" Samsung PC3200 RAM 2 GIGs "

Depending on the extent of your *graphics and multimedia* work, it could
well be better having 2x 1GB with *standard* timings than 2x 512MB with
tighter timings. You'd probably pay the same, given the cost of
enthusiast RAM.

" Seagate Barracuda 300GB SATA HD "

The warranty makes Seagate a wiser choice than most other manufacturers.
The following prices at Newegg for the SATA 7200.8 series probably
make the 250GB a better choice at the moment (with the rebate), but if
you need 300GB you may as well make the jump.

200GB $111.25
250GB $112.00
300GB $165.25
400GB $259.25

" Sapphire Radeon X800 GT 256 MB Video Card "

If that's your price range then there's no better card, as it's taken
the mid-range crown from the 6600GT.

" Any suggestions? "

Yes. Tell us the PSU you plan to use so we can bitch about it.