Voltage Selection for System ROM

I'm in the process of putting together a P3 cpu with a 440BX chipset MB. The
manual gives an option for a the System ROM (Flash EPROM), 5V or 12V. Which
setting should be selected? The manual does not suggest either one.

Any thoughts on the matter would certainly be appreciated.

ed.

multi-post:
alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
comp.hardware

emc wrote:
> I'm in the process of putting together a P3 cpu with a 440BX chipset MB. The
> manual gives an option for a the System ROM (Flash EPROM), 5V or 12V. Which
> setting should be selected?

It should match the one plugged into the motherboard.

> The manual does not suggest either one.
>
> Any thoughts on the matter would certainly be appreciated.

I have another thought. Mentioning what motherboard it is would help.

> ed.
>

> multi-post:
> alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt
> alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
> comp.hardware

It's a DTK PRM-27i MB.

emc wrote:

> It's a DTK PRM-27i MB.

Well, as Kony said, it should be in the right place to begin with as that
jumper is usually set at the factory but the only way to know for absolute
sure is to read the part number off the BIOS chip (peel the label if it has
one) and look it up.

Here are some typical ones.

Am29F010: AMD 5 volt flash ROM
Am28F010, Am28F010A: AMD 12 volt flash ROM
AT28C010, AT28MC010, AT29C010, AT29LC010, AT29MC010: Atmel 5 volt flash ROM
CAT28F010V5, CAT28F010V5I: Catalyst 5 volt flash ROM
CAT28F010, CAT28F010I: Catalyst 12 volt flash ROM
28F010: Fujitsu 12 volt flash ROM or ISSI 12 volt flash ROM
HN58C1000: Hitachi 5 volt flash ROM
HN28F101, HN29C010, HN29C010B, HN58C1001, HN58V1001: Hitachi 12 volt flash ROM
A28F010, 28F001BX-B, 28F001BX-T, 28F010: Intel 12 volt flash ROM
M5M28F101FP, M5M28F101P, M5M28F101RV, M5M28F101VP: Mitsubishi 12 volt flash
ROM
MX28F1000: MXIC 12 volt flash ROM
MSM28F101: OKI 12 volt flash ROM
KM29C010: Samsung 5 volt flash ROM
DQ28C010, DYM28C010, DQM28C010A: SEEQ 5 volt flash ROM
DQ47F010, DQ48F010: SEEQ 12 volt flash ROM
M28F010, M28F1001: SGS-Thomson 12 volt flash ROM
28EE011, 29EE010: SST 5 volt flash ROM
PH29EE010: SST ROM Chip - Flashable
TMS29F010: Texas-Instr. 5 volt flash ROM
TMS28F010: Texas-Instr. 12 volt flash ROM
W29EE011: Winbond 5 volt flash ROM
W27F010: Winbond 12 volt flash ROM
X28C010, X28C010I, XM28C010, XM28C010I: XICOR 5 volt flash ROM
29LVxxx - 3V Flash memory (rare)
28Cxxx - EEPROM, similar to Flash memory
27Cxxx - With window. EPROM: read-only, requires programmer to write and UV
to erase.

However, don't take that list as definitive and even if you see the same
one in there do a google to look up the official datasheet for it.

> "David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in message
>
>>emc wrote:
>>
>>>I'm in the process of putting together a P3 cpu with a 440BX chipset MB.
>>>The manual gives an option for a the System ROM (Flash EPROM), 5V or 12V.
>>>Which setting should be selected?
>>
>>It should match the one plugged into the motherboard.
>>

>>> The manual does not suggest either one.
>>>
>>>Any thoughts on the matter would certainly be appreciated.
>>
>>I have another thought. Mentioning what motherboard it is would help.
>>

>>>ed.
>>>

>>>multi-post:
>>>alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt
>>>alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
>>>comp.hardware

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 20:30:48 -0400, "emc"
<emac96duffie@nobellspam.net> wrote:

>I'm in the process of putting together a P3 cpu with a 440BX chipset MB. The
>manual gives an option for a the System ROM (Flash EPROM), 5V or 12V. Which
>setting should be selected? The manual does not suggest either one.

You should not select either, you should leave the jumper
where it started. Likewise with all other jumpers you have
no specific reason to change. However, as D.Maynard pointed
out, it is for support of different EEPROMs and if you
wanted to get to know the details here you'd take the number
off that EEPROM and download the data sheet.