Upgrade for an ultra budget system

Hi,

I am thinking of upgrading my family's PC which is mainly used for
games (RTS stuff such as Empire Earth etc) and a bit of homework.

It's a K75SA v1.0 (Sis 735) m/b, 950M Duron, 512M PC2700, GF2 MX200.

I don't want to spend much on the upgrade so I am limited to 2nd hand
bits. The m/b will only take CPUs up to 266M FSB and I can't find
many sellers of these (Athlon XP) chips at reasonable prices even
secondhand.

I could get a cheap ATI Radeon 9600XT card. Would this help or make
little difference with a 950M processor?

I don't intend to do any overclocking.

Cheers, R

You have a decent amount of memory. Unless you're doing 3D work, you may
not notice a performance (speed) increase with a better video card but might
see better 2D images.

I'd recommend the fastest Athlon XP it will take. Looks like the XP2100+
based on the following table. You should see a noticeable difference.

http://www.ecsusa.com/support/table_amd.html