Pocket Streets+ARM2004

August 8, 2004 3:23:02 PM

I have a new Dell Axim30 which will not run pocket pc. I can install and
sync with no problem. I do get the message that this program is designed for
earlier processor and my not run. I load maps with no problem. When I try
to start Streets, system locks. It does not matter where the files are
located - on device in default folders or on storage card. It does not
matter if there are no other programs on device.

More about : pocket streets arm2004

Anonymous
August 9, 2004 1:26:34 AM

Hmm, let me get this right, you've a new axim 30 and it's refusing to run
pocket streets BUT it lets you install it with no issues?
Does the software ask you to soft reset your unit before trying to run
pocket streets? If it doesn't then I guess it's over to Marlof, Ed, Sven etc
(the MVPs).
Ray
"Nancy" <Nancy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a new Dell Axim30 which will not run pocket pc. I can install and
> sync with no problem. I do get the message that this program is designed
for
> earlier processor and my not run. I load maps with no problem. When I
try
> to start Streets, system locks. It does not matter where the files are
> located - on device in default folders or on storage card. It does not
> matter if there are no other programs on device.
Anonymous
August 9, 2004 2:06:18 AM

I hadn't even loaded it on my X30, but just did. Seems to work fine. I am
using the latest version from S&T 2004 (actually Mappoint 2004, but it's the
same Pocket Streets). Are you using an older one by chance? I did get the
popular, 'This may not display properly because it was written for an
earlier version of the OS' warning at install, but I got that a lot.
Software venders are working at fixing the SE glitches. Hopefully MS will as
well.

Does work fine in landscape BTW. Even lets you rotate while it is running.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"Ray Cheshire" <ray.cheshire@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hmm, let me get this right, you've a new axim 30 and it's refusing to run
> pocket streets BUT it lets you install it with no issues?
> Does the software ask you to soft reset your unit before trying to run
> pocket streets? If it doesn't then I guess it's over to Marlof, Ed, Sven
etc
> (the MVPs).
> Ray
> "Nancy" <Nancy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have a new Dell Axim30 which will not run pocket pc. I can install
and
> > sync with no problem. I do get the message that this program is
designed
> for
> > earlier processor and my not run. I load maps with no problem. When I
> try
> > to start Streets, system locks. It does not matter where the files are
> > located - on device in default folders or on storage card. It does not
> > matter if there are no other programs on device.

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 9, 2004 6:21:02 PM

I have tried again with the same results. Here is the information on my
system and what I did. Please let me know if I am doing something wrong.

Microsoft Streets & Trips 2004
(11.00.18.1900)

Microsoft ActiveSync Version 3.7.1 (Build 4034)

Dell Axim 30
with Intel PXA270
64 MB

Memory
16.89 MB used
46.52 MB free

Set up synch to the handheld
Installed using Setup.exe found in the folder PStreets on CD
Add a mapfile to MyDocuments (PDA) using ActiveSync Explore
When complete, tap Pocket Streets
Locks up. Must use soft reset.

After reset, still does not work.

I checked on aximsite.com boards and others have had similar problems.
I appreciate your help.

"Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices" wrote:

> I hadn't even loaded it on my X30, but just did. Seems to work fine. I am
> using the latest version from S&T 2004 (actually Mappoint 2004, but it's the
> same Pocket Streets). Are you using an older one by chance? I did get the
> popular, 'This may not display properly because it was written for an
> earlier version of the OS' warning at install, but I got that a lot.
> Software venders are working at fixing the SE glitches. Hopefully MS will as
> well.
>
> Does work fine in landscape BTW. Even lets you rotate while it is running.
>
> --
> Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
> "Ray Cheshire" <ray.cheshire@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Hmm, let me get this right, you've a new axim 30 and it's refusing to run
> > pocket streets BUT it lets you install it with no issues?
> > Does the software ask you to soft reset your unit before trying to run
> > pocket streets? If it doesn't then I guess it's over to Marlof, Ed, Sven
> etc
> > (the MVPs).
> > Ray
> > "Nancy" <Nancy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I have a new Dell Axim30 which will not run pocket pc. I can install
> and
> > > sync with no problem. I do get the message that this program is
> designed
> > for
> > > earlier processor and my not run. I load maps with no problem. When I
> > try
> > > to start Streets, system locks. It does not matter where the files are
> > > located - on device in default folders or on storage card. It does not
> > > matter if there are no other programs on device.

Anonymous
August 9, 2004 10:56:04 PM

How are you creating the pocket streets map file? I'm asking because you
didn't mention it. Don't see anything else weird. Are you selecting an area
in Streets and Trips and then right clicking inside the selection box. The
context menu has Export Map for Pocket Streets as an option. It should let
you save a map with a .mps extension, which you can name, such as
boston.mps. That is what would get dragged to the PPC somewhere.

If you have no maps on the PPC, can you launch Pocket Streets? It should
just open to a blank file selection page, with a direction block at the
bottom right.

You don't live in England do you? There does seem to be some issue with the
prime meridian (0 longitude) being included in Maps. I understand that runs
right through the middle of London.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
> I have tried again with the same results. Here is the information on my
> system and what I did. Please let me know if I am doing something wrong.
>
> Microsoft Streets & Trips 2004
> (11.00.18.1900)
>
> Microsoft ActiveSync Version 3.7.1 (Build 4034)
>
> Dell Axim 30
> with Intel PXA270
> 64 MB
>
> Memory
> 16.89 MB used
> 46.52 MB free
>
> Set up synch to the handheld
> Installed using Setup.exe found in the folder PStreets on CD
> Add a mapfile to MyDocuments (PDA) using ActiveSync Explore
> When complete, tap Pocket Streets
> Locks up. Must use soft reset.
>
> After reset, still does not work.
>
> I checked on aximsite.com boards and others have had similar problems.
> I appreciate your help.
>
> "Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices" wrote:
>
> > I hadn't even loaded it on my X30, but just did. Seems to work fine. I
am
> > using the latest version from S&T 2004 (actually Mappoint 2004, but it's
the
> > same Pocket Streets). Are you using an older one by chance? I did get
the
> > popular, 'This may not display properly because it was written for an
> > earlier version of the OS' warning at install, but I got that a lot.
> > Software venders are working at fixing the SE glitches. Hopefully MS
will as
> > well.
> >
> > Does work fine in landscape BTW. Even lets you rotate while it is
running.

> > --
> > Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
> > "Ray Cheshire" <ray.cheshire@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> > > Hmm, let me get this right, you've a new axim 30 and it's refusing to
run
> > > pocket streets BUT it lets you install it with no issues?
> > > Does the software ask you to soft reset your unit before trying to run
> > > pocket streets? If it doesn't then I guess it's over to Marlof, Ed,
Sven
> > etc
> > > (the MVPs).
> > > Ray
> > > "Nancy" <Nancy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > and
> > designed
> > > for
When I
> > > try

August 10, 2004 12:27:02 AM

I selected an area in Streets,then used the export to pocket streets, saving
as an .mps file. I put the file in the pockets transfer folder to synch and
dropped it in in MyDocuments on the PDA. I also tried putting it on my
storage card. The program file was directed to the default folder - I
assumed it had less chance of working if stored on the expansion card.

If I try to open Pocket Streets on my PDA before any map has been loaded, I
have the same problem. I tap on the icon in Programs and the system locks.
I even left it on for 45 minutes, but the only way to get out was to reset.

I live in Florida.

I have been able to load other programsand they work fine, e.g., Microsoft
Reader, OliveTree Bible Reader, Wordbook and a calculator. I did try loading
Streets before anything else was on, and it still did not work.

> [...]

> > After reset, still does not work.
> >
> > I checked on aximsite.com boards and others have had similar problems.
> > I appreciate your help.
> >
> > "Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices" wrote:
> >
> > > I hadn't even loaded it on my X30, but just did. Seems to work fine. I
> am
> > > using the latest version from S&T 2004 (actually Mappoint 2004, but it's
> the
> > > same Pocket Streets). Are you using an older one by chance? I did get
> the
> > > popular, 'This may not display properly because it was written for an
> > > earlier version of the OS' warning at install, but I got that a lot.
> > > Software venders are working at fixing the SE glitches. Hopefully MS
> will as
> > > well.
> > >
> > > Does work fine in landscape BTW. Even lets you rotate while it is

August 10, 2004 9:11:48 PM

I'm about out of ideas. You have likely re-installed before, but how about
un-installing using the Add/Remove programs option in ActiveSync, and make
sure you click the bottom button which removes PocketStreets from the PPC
and the desktop (it does just the install files). Then put you S&T CD in the
drive and right click the CD icon. There should be a menu option to install
Pocket Streets. Maybe something messed up on the original install and it
just kept redoing it if you've re-installed.

Incidentally, I have Pocket Streets installed to my Built-In-Storage, and
always keep my maps on an SD card, so that shouldn't be an issue.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
> [...]
my
> > > system and what I did. Please let me know if I am doing something
wrong.

> > > Microsoft Streets & Trips 2004
> > > (11.00.18.1900)
> > >
> > > Microsoft ActiveSync Version 3.7.1 (Build 4034)
> > >
> > > Dell Axim 30
> > > with Intel PXA270
> > > 64 MB
> > >
> > > Memory
> > > 16.89 MB used
> > > 46.52 MB free
> > >
> > > Set up synch to the handheld
> > > Installed using Setup.exe found in the folder PStreets on CD
> > > Add a mapfile to MyDocuments (PDA) using ActiveSync Explore
> > > When complete, tap Pocket Streets
> > > Locks up. Must use soft reset.
> > >
> > > After reset, still does not work.
> > >
> > > I checked on aximsite.com boards and others have had similar problems.

August 11, 2004 12:27:03 AM

Thank you. It worked! I had not tried using the ActiveSync Add/Remove.
After reinstall everything worked. The only minorissue is my prepared maps
are not pickedup automatically if on the storage card, but I can open from
Explorer. I appreciate your effort to help.

> [...]

> > > didn't mention it. Don't see anything else weird. Are you selecting an
> area
> > > in Streets and Trips and then right clicking inside the selection box.
> The
> > > context menu has Export Map for Pocket Streets as an option. It should
> let
> > > you save a map with a .mps extension, which you can name, such as
> > > boston.mps. That is what would get dragged to the PPC somewhere.
> > >
> > > If you have no maps on the PPC, can you launch Pocket Streets? It should
> > > just open to a blank file selection page, with a direction block at the
> > > bottom right.
> > >
> > > You don't live in England do you? There does seem to be some issue with
> the
> > > prime meridian (0 longitude) being included in Maps. I understand that

August 11, 2004 3:17:55 AM

Make sure your maps on the storage card are in a "My Documents" folder.

news:D DD2E208-EE92-44B2-9EA7-EA37023A80D9@microsoft.com...
!