Column: Set up a secure wireless network using Windows Con..

New Column: Set up a secure wireless network using Windows Connect Now

Columnist Barb Bowman explains how to use Windows Connect Now to set up a
secure wireless network without worrying about complicated network
configuration issues.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/bowman_05june13.mspx

Ask questions or post comments about the article here.

Katie Skibinski
Site Manager, vendor [MS]

How do I configure a wireless router using WCN if it does not have a USB
port? Can you email a list of generic settings that I can manually plug into
the router?

Thanks.

Bob Majcherek
majcherek@hotmail.com

"Katie Skibinski" wrote:

> New Column: Set up a secure wireless network using Windows Connect Now
>
> Columnist Barb Bowman explains how to use Windows Connect Now to set up a
> secure wireless network without worrying about complicated network
> configuration issues.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/bowman_05june13.mspx
>
> Ask questions or post comments about the article here.

> Katie Skibinski
> Site Manager, vendor [MS]

You'd have to configure the router manually. That's why WCN is so cool
- you avoid having to enter all the information on the router's admin
page. What kind of router (brand/model) do you have?

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

This is a truly insulting answer. Yea if you have the money to burn and buy
new a router I bet 'WCN is soooo cooool'. I do not, I am unemployed at the
moment.

I have the same problem and I could guess that I needed to manually
configure the router. What parameters and setting to I need to configure. I
had a hard disk crash and needed to re-install windows from scratch.
Suddenly I have this wizard which does not work for me.

"Barb Bowman MVP-Windows" wrote:

> You'd have to configure the router manually. That's why WCN is so cool
> - you avoid having to enter all the information on the router's admin
> page. What kind of router (brand/model) do you have?
>
> On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 10:28:16 -0700, Majcherek
> <Majcherek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >How do I configure a wireless router using WCN if it does not have a USB
> >port? Can you email a list of generic settings that I can manually plug into
> >the router?
> >
> >Thanks.
> >
> >Bob Majcherek
> >majcherek@hotmail.com
> >

> >"Katie Skibinski" wrote:
> >
> >> New Column: Set up a secure wireless network using Windows Connect Now
> >>
> >> Columnist Barb Bowman explains how to use Windows Connect Now to set up a
> >> secure wireless network without worrying about complicated network
> >> configuration issues.
> >>
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/bowman_05june13.mspx
> >>
> >> Ask questions or post comments about the article here.
> >>
> >> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Katie Skibinski
> >> Site Manager, vendor [MS]
> >>
> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP
> Expert Zone Columnist
> http://www.mcemvp.us/bbowman/

You need to post information on the brand and model of router and your
wireless you have to get specific help. You need to configure the
highest level of wireless security supported by your router and your
network card. I've actually written several columns on wireless
security which are posted on the Expert Zone which may help
"generically" but for specific help, I need some details.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

I am running into the same problem - I am using a D-Link DI-514 wireless
router.

Thanks,
Coop

"Barb Bowman MVP-Windows" wrote:

> You need to post information on the brand and model of router and your
> wireless you have to get specific help. You need to configure the
> highest level of wireless security supported by your router and your
> network card. I've actually written several columns on wireless
> security which are posted on the Expert Zone which may help
> "generically" but for specific help, I need some details.
>
> On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 11:39:01 -0700, RichSr
> <RichSr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >This is a truly insulting answer. Yea if you have the money to burn and buy
> >new a router I bet 'WCN is soooo cooool'. I do not, I am unemployed at the
> >moment.
> >
> >I have the same problem and I could guess that I needed to manually
> >configure the router. What parameters and setting to I need to configure. I
> >had a hard disk crash and needed to re-install windows from scratch.
> >Suddenly I have this wizard which does not work for me.
> >
> >"Barb Bowman MVP-Windows" wrote:
> >
> >> You'd have to configure the router manually. That's why WCN is so cool
> >> - you avoid having to enter all the information on the router's admin
> >> page. What kind of router (brand/model) do you have?

> >> --
> >>
> >> Barb Bowman
> >> MS Windows-MVP
> >> Expert Zone Columnist
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/bowman.mspx
> >> http://www.mcemvp.us/bbowman/
> >>
> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP
> Expert Zone Columnist
> http://www.mcemvp.us/bbowman/

I can't tell what problem you are really having. You can use a hard
wired ethernet connection to the DLink, open a web browser, and go to
192.168.0.1 and configure all settings there. DLink usually has admin
as the user name and no password as a default.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP