Sign in with
Your question

Question with hidden folders

Last response: in Windows 7
February 26, 2011 7:56:41 AM

Would it be possible to be able to enable/disable hidden files and folders with a batch file or something similar?
I unhide my hidden folders often make changes to them, but have to go to folder options > show hidden files and folders.

Would there be a way to just click on something (batch file or something similar) to hide or show the hidden folders without having to go to Folder Options, etc?

I've done a lot of searching (Google, etc.) and can't seem to find anything at all. If this is in the incorrect place I apologize.

Any help would be appreciated.
a b $ Windows 7
February 26, 2011 3:35:46 PM

Once you have turned them on, why are you turning them off ? When a new machine arrives, I turn them on (All folders) and leave it that way.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
February 26, 2011 3:43:15 PM

I leave them off when I give the computer to those who can barely surf the net. My own computer always has them on, and I don't hide the file extensions either. I know what I'm doing, don't hide $h!7 on me!

Perhaps he has someone using his computer who doesn't understand?
a c 209 $ Windows 7
February 27, 2011 12:11:07 AM

You'd have to update the Registry to change the settings in Explorer, but it's easy to change the files and folders themselves to hidden or non-hidden. For example, to change the "D:\Data" folder and all its contents to hidden, use:

attrib +h D:\Data
attrib +h D:\Data\* /s

To change them to not hidden, use:

attrib -h D:\Data
attrib -h D:\Data\* /s
February 27, 2011 7:05:17 AM

I hide folders that contain files for game emulators or things I don't want to clutter up my desktop. It's just kind of a personal preference for me (I guess I have OCD). Lol
!