Computer locking up and not sure why

I just put together a new PC. It is in an Antec P180 case and has a
ASUS SLI-Premium motherboard. As well, I have a 550W Antec Power
Supply, BFG 7800gt video card, and AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400 CPU.

My problem, it locks up from time to time. I"ve had it together for a
week and twice during that time it locked up. The first a couple days
after putting it together. Then last night it locked up again.

Once when I put a PC together I had frequent lockups, about every 4-5
hours and it turned out I found out the CPU was running around 130-135
degrees so I know that's the problem. This time with all the fans in
the case plus a Thermaltake Big Typhoon fan I can't see it doing that.
I did put the white paste on the CPU.

Anyway, I used ASUS Probe to check temperatures. It said the CPU is
running at 36/96 degrees. It said the motherboard is at 39/102 and
the CPU Fan is running at 1506RPM, the Chassis Fan at 1074RPM. These
temperatures seem fine, is that true? These are of cousre under no
load and I Have not ran the PC under a heavy load yet.

I am thinking as well it could be a driver issue. The first couple
days the PC was new and not much was installed and last night I
installed a lot of drivers. Anyway, any idea what could be causing
htis and most of all, are those temperatures okay? Thanks.

Fitz

How much and what type memory are you using?

I don't have an PCI-E/SLI motherboard...does the BIOS have a FASTWRITES
option, and if so, have you tried disabling it?

Fitz

I also left this out but I also updated the motherboard to the latest
BIOS.

Mark W wrote:

> Anyway, I used ASUS Probe to check temperatures. It said the CPU is
> running at 36/96 degrees. It said the motherboard is at 39/102 and

I would say this is pretty unusual.

A motherboard running hotter than the CPU?

Not right.

Odie
--
Retrodata
www.retrodata.co.uk

Odie Ferrous wrote:

> Mark W wrote:
>

>>Anyway, I used ASUS Probe to check temperatures. It said the CPU is
>>running at 36/96 degrees. It said the motherboard is at 39/102 and
>

> I would say this is pretty unusual.

Not really.

> A motherboard running hotter than the CPU?

Depends on where the sensor is and it's not at all unusual.

Mark W writes:

> I am thinking as well it could be a driver issue. The first couple
> days the PC was new and not much was installed and last night I
> installed a lot of drivers. Anyway, any idea what could be causing
> htis and most of all, are those temperatures okay? Thanks.

Run an OS that can boot from a CD, like Knoppix, and keep it busy
doing something for a day or so, and see if the machine locks up. If
it does, all software issues are ruled out. If it doesn't, virtually
all hardware issues are ruled out, including overheating.

I left this out but the memory I'm using is two 512 meg Corsair TWINX
1024-3200XLPT. These are in the first two 'blue' slots for memory. I
am showing 1 gig total. As well, I have a Maxtor 300GB SATA Hard
drive and am using Windows XP Professional with SP2.
I never did think of it but it would be odd to have the motherboard
temperature hotter than the CPU. Is it maybe becuase I have such a
strong fan on the CPU? The case does have two fans but there is a 3rd
that came with it that is supposed to be for the hard drives but since
I just have one drive I haven't mounted that.

BARTMAN

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2004

Mark W napisał(a):
> My problem, it locks up from time to time. I"ve had it together for a
> week and twice during that time it locked up. The first a couple days
> after putting it together. Then last night it locked up again.
Go to asus web site and search for BIOS updates
http://www.asus.com

--
Greetings,
BartMan

-=delete re_mo_ve from my email=-

Mark W writes:

> I left this out but the memory I'm using is two 512 meg Corsair TWINX
> 1024-3200XLPT. These are in the first two 'blue' slots for memory. I
> am showing 1 gig total. As well, I have a Maxtor 300GB SATA Hard
> drive and am using Windows XP Professional with SP2.
> I never did think of it but it would be odd to have the motherboard
> temperature hotter than the CPU. Is it maybe becuase I have such a
> strong fan on the CPU? The case does have two fans but there is a 3rd
> that came with it that is supposed to be for the hard drives but since
> I just have one drive I haven't mounted that.

It seems unlikely that the motherboard would become unacceptably hot,
especially with two case fans and the CPU fan. You'd have to have a
really strange airflow in the case to overheat the motherboard.

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 03:16:46 +0200, Mxsmanic
<mxsmanic@gmail.com> wrote:

>Mark W writes:
>
>> I left this out but the memory I'm using is two 512 meg Corsair TWINX
>> 1024-3200XLPT. These are in the first two 'blue' slots for memory. I
>> am showing 1 gig total. As well, I have a Maxtor 300GB SATA Hard
>> drive and am using Windows XP Professional with SP2.
>> I never did think of it but it would be odd to have the motherboard
>> temperature hotter than the CPU. Is it maybe becuase I have such a
>> strong fan on the CPU? The case does have two fans but there is a 3rd
>> that came with it that is supposed to be for the hard drives but since
>> I just have one drive I haven't mounted that.
>
>It seems unlikely that the motherboard would become unacceptably hot,
>especially with two case fans and the CPU fan. You'd have to have a
>really strange airflow in the case to overheat the motherboard.

It's not too hard for it to happen because the CPU can be
HALT-idling while the chip with the integral "system" temp
sensor in it, isn't. Granted it's less common even with the
box sitting idle (unused), but has a lot to do with specific
airflow pattens and specific chip taking the readings... not
that it's much of a concern though at the reported temps but
to isolate this is should be rather easy to point a desk fan
at the open case and/or run something like Prime95 to heat
up the CPU.

12 Sep 2005 16:56 UTC, Mark W typed:
> My problem, it locks up from time to time. I"ve had it together for a
> week and twice during that time it locked up. The first a couple days
> after putting it together. Then last night it locked up again.

Rule out memory errors, give it a good test with memtest86+ for 24 hours.
That'll also give the CPU a mild hammering.

--
Email: Martin Fenelon <fenm at freeuk dot com>