Seagate or Maxtor

I've been a Seagate preferred...person for a long time.

Wow that sentence didn't work out the way I'd hoped.

Anyway, my local parts store has a Maxtor IDE (Ultra ATA) 250GB 16MB HDD
available. I'm awfully tempted by the 16MB buffer.

I've been told I need to get something better than my current (2MB), and was
originally gonna go with a 8MB, but this 16MB one...mmmmm.

The only prob is, it's Maxtor. I don't really like Maxtor. But how do other
people fare with Maxtor drives nowadays?

TIA.
--
http://silentrefusal.tk
or users.tpg.com.au/iaan_w

"Dragoncarer" wrote:
> I've been a Seagate preferred...person for a long time.
>
> Wow that sentence didn't work out the way I'd hoped.
>

> Anyway, my local parts store has a Maxtor IDE (Ultra ATA) 250GB 16MB HDD
> available. I'm awfully tempted by the 16MB buffer.
>
> I've been told I need to get something better than my current (2MB), and was
> originally gonna go with a 8MB, but this 16MB one...mmmmm.
>
> The only prob is, it's Maxtor. I don't really like Maxtor. But how do other
> people fare with Maxtor drives nowadays?

I used a 17GB 5400rpm Maxtor daily for 4 1/2 years with no problems.
Then I switched to 40GB, 60GB, 80GB, and 120GB Maxtor
DiamondMax Plus 9s which I use for day-to-day and for backups.
After 1 1/2 yrs still no problems. But I don't do heavy access -
no media editing or server usage, no daily defragging or cloning,
and the drives are kept cool by good air flow. I think cooling has
a lot to do with drive longevity.

*TimDaniels*

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 02:19:24 +1000, "Dragoncarer"
<wee@ihaveabrandspankingnew.computer> wrote:

>I've been a Seagate preferred...person for a long time.
>
>Wow that sentence didn't work out the way I'd hoped.
>

>Anyway, my local parts store has a Maxtor IDE (Ultra ATA) 250GB 16MB HDD
>available. I'm awfully tempted by the 16MB buffer.
>
>I've been told I need to get something better than my current (2MB), and was
>originally gonna go with a 8MB, but this 16MB one...mmmmm.
>
>The only prob is, it's Maxtor. I don't really like Maxtor. But how do other
>people fare with Maxtor drives nowadays?
>
>TIA.

Generally they work fine. Random drive failures are just
that, "random" amongst all brands. Personally I'd rather
the Seagate 5 year warranty than the Maxtor 16MB buffer over
the Seagate's 8MB, though there may be more differences than
only that?

If you really want best performance then get a higher RPM
drive like a WD Raptor or SCSI, or go for the highest
capacity the budget allows (or multiple drives, though not
necessarily RAIDed, just with the disk access divided as
much as possible) then partition off the faster, outer
portion of the drive(s) for the needed uses.

On 2005-09-15, Dragoncarer <wee@ihaveabrandspankingnew.computer> wrote:
> I've been a Seagate preferred...person for a long time.

> Anyway, my local parts store has a Maxtor IDE (Ultra ATA) 250GB 16MB HDD
> available. I'm awfully tempted by the 16MB buffer.
>
> I've been told I need to get something better than my current (2MB), and was
> originally gonna go with a 8MB, but this 16MB one...mmmmm.
>
> The only prob is, it's Maxtor. I don't really like Maxtor. But how do other
> people fare with Maxtor drives nowadays?

I'd say it's too early to say. It takes a while for any HDD to die, by which
time that disk is already hopelessly out of date, and manufacturers do seem
to vary over time with regards to reliability.

About 5-7 years ago I went through a phase of replacing dead Seagate drives:
these probably dated to early-mid nineties. I swore I'd never buy Seagate
again. Now people are rating them, although I suspect most people have a
different standard of reliabilty than most. expect machines to last at least
a year without a reboot (therefore no hardware changes, OS upgrades, BIOS
updates - you get the idea). I tend to install IBM/Hitachi units now and
I haven't had any problems with them. The last dead Maxtor I saw was back
in 97 or 98, but I don't deal with them really.

I wouldn't buy on the basis of the cache though - the OS has a far better
idea of what it might need next and a large one simply serves to obstruct
the system in it's attempts to journal the disk in case of power failiure.

--
Andrew Smallshaw
andrews@sdf.lonestar.org

Not much different between any hard drive. They all made in China.
So cheap these days. I'm still using 40gig that I got from garbage
dump.
Someone threw away 1Ghz computer set in garbage dump so I picked it up.
Everything was ok. I took out no error 40Gig HD.

I'm only a hobbyist but have built 150 or more systems over the last five
years or so. I was once an avid WD fan over all the others based on its
quietness and larger cache (WD was one of the first out with 8MB) but have
found in the last couple years the other drive manufacturers are getting
just has good, some better as you point out offering even larger cache. All
seem to be adequately quiet. I can say that WD had very good warranty
service. Never tried the others. Personally, I agree with the other poster
on RPM but that's usually a more costly alternative than cache.

"Dragoncarer" <wee@ihaveabrandspankingnew.computer> wrote in message
> I've been a Seagate preferred...person for a long time.
>
> Wow that sentence didn't work out the way I'd hoped.
>

> Anyway, my local parts store has a Maxtor IDE (Ultra ATA) 250GB 16MB HDD
> available. I'm awfully tempted by the 16MB buffer.
>
> I've been told I need to get something better than my current (2MB), and
> was originally gonna go with a 8MB, but this 16MB one...mmmmm.
>
> The only prob is, it's Maxtor. I don't really like Maxtor. But how do
> other people fare with Maxtor drives nowadays?
>
> TIA.
> --
> http://silentrefusal.tk
> or users.tpg.com.au/iaan_w

Philo

"Dragoncarer" <wee@ihaveabrandspankingnew.computer> wrote in message
> I've been a Seagate preferred...person for a long time.
>
> Wow that sentence didn't work out the way I'd hoped.
>

> Anyway, my local parts store has a Maxtor IDE (Ultra ATA) 250GB 16MB HDD
> available. I'm awfully tempted by the 16MB buffer.
>
> I've been told I need to get something better than my current (2MB), and
> was originally gonna go with a 8MB, but this 16MB one...mmmmm.
>
> The only prob is, it's Maxtor. I don't really like Maxtor. But how do
> other people fare with Maxtor drives nowadays?

Well...
In the machines that I've built over the last few years...
I've had at least one failure from every major brand out there...
so you might as well get the Maxtor.
As long as you back your data up you should be fine.

"Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in message
> "Dragoncarer" wrote:
>> I've been a Seagate preferred...person for a long time.
>>
>> Wow that sentence didn't work out the way I'd hoped.
>>

>> Anyway, my local parts store has a Maxtor IDE (Ultra ATA) 250GB 16MB HDD
>> available. I'm awfully tempted by the 16MB buffer.
>>
>> I've been told I need to get something better than my current (2MB), and
>> was originally gonna go with a 8MB, but this 16MB one...mmmmm.
>>
>> The only prob is, it's Maxtor. I don't really like Maxtor. But how do
>> other people fare with Maxtor drives nowadays?
>

> I used a 17GB 5400rpm Maxtor daily for 4 1/2 years with no problems.
> Then I switched to 40GB, 60GB, 80GB, and 120GB Maxtor
> DiamondMax Plus 9s which I use for day-to-day and for backups.
> After 1 1/2 yrs still no problems. But I don't do heavy access -
> no media editing or server usage, no daily defragging or cloning,
> and the drives are kept cool by good air flow. I think cooling has
> a lot to do with drive longevity.
>
> *TimDaniels*

Thanks!

After I posted this, I was suddenly able to find plenty of good reviews- but
they were all from sellers/ stores. Even still....so yeah, looks like I'll
be getting one of these puppies.
Thanks again.

"kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 02:19:24 +1000, "Dragoncarer"
> <wee@ihaveabrandspankingnew.computer> wrote:
>
>>I've been a Seagate preferred...person for a long time.
>>
>>Wow that sentence didn't work out the way I'd hoped.
>>

>>Anyway, my local parts store has a Maxtor IDE (Ultra ATA) 250GB 16MB HDD
>>available. I'm awfully tempted by the 16MB buffer.
>>
>>I've been told I need to get something better than my current (2MB), and
>>was
>>originally gonna go with a 8MB, but this 16MB one...mmmmm.
>>
>>The only prob is, it's Maxtor. I don't really like Maxtor. But how do
>>other
>>people fare with Maxtor drives nowadays?
>>
>>TIA.
>

> Generally they work fine. Random drive failures are just
> that, "random" amongst all brands. Personally I'd rather
> the Seagate 5 year warranty than the Maxtor 16MB buffer over
> the Seagate's 8MB, though there may be more differences than
> only that?
>
> If you really want best performance then get a higher RPM
> drive like a WD Raptor or SCSI, or go for the highest
> capacity the budget allows (or multiple drives, though not
> necessarily RAIDed, just with the disk access divided as
> much as possible) then partition off the faster, outer
> portion of the drive(s) for the needed uses.

OK. Something to think about. Thanks.

On 16 Sep 2005 00:41:25 -0700, mmdir2005@yahoo.com wrote:

> Not much different between any hard drive. They all made in China.
>So cheap these days. I'm still using 40gig that I got from garbage
>dump.

Maybe Singapore or Malaysia, not China? ... been made there
for the past decade, nothing's changed in that respect.

"philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in message

> "Dragoncarer" <wee@ihaveabrandspankingnew.computer> wrote in message
>> I've been a Seagate preferred...person for a long time.
>>
>> Wow that sentence didn't work out the way I'd hoped.
>>

>> Anyway, my local parts store has a Maxtor IDE (Ultra ATA) 250GB 16MB HDD
>> available. I'm awfully tempted by the 16MB buffer.
>>
>> I've been told I need to get something better than my current (2MB), and
>> was originally gonna go with a 8MB, but this 16MB one...mmmmm.
>>
>> The only prob is, it's Maxtor. I don't really like Maxtor. But how do
>> other people fare with Maxtor drives nowadays?
>>

> Well...
> In the machines that I've built over the last few years...
> I've had at least one failure from every major brand out there...
> so you might as well get the Maxtor.
> As long as you back your data up you should be fine.

lol...back up back up back up! Thank the heavens for DVD writers....

Yup, thanks heaps. I'm definitely gonna get the Maxtor now after everyone's
input.

Thanks all!