No wireless network or net sharing

My problem: I cannot successfully set up a wireless network or have all PCs
accessing the Internet, apparently since SP2 was installed.

My set-up:
I have a DELL desktop PC and a DELL laptop, both with wireless cards. I can
connect them together using ethernet cables, but cannot do the same through
the wireless router. I can also only get the Internet working wirelessly
through one of them at a time. Router is a D-Link DI-524.

When I try to set up the network using DHCP addresses from the router to the
PCs I get the "Limited or no connvectivity" message and cannot even get
Internet working at all. If I manually assign IP addresses I no longer get
the "Limited or no connvectivity" message and can access the Internet from
only one PC (currently the desktop).

I have WEP encyption enabled and have triple checked that the keys are
correct on both machines and the router.

What I want to do:
Set up a wireless network that connects the PC and laptop (and a third PC in
time) together in a wireless network and have all computers able to access
the Internet.

Can anyone help please. I've tried searching through other online discussion
groups - thus the manual IP assignments.
3 answers Last reply
More about wireless network sharing

    Assuming your D-Link 524 firmware is up to date, I would suggest
    turning off WEP encryption and trying to make a connection to the
    Internet first. If that works, try turning WEP on. I once had a
    somewhat similar problem with WinXP that I could not connect to the
    Internet through the router (Netgear WGR614) with encryption on unless
    I first connected with it off. I think it had to do with running in
    mixed mode (802.11b and g), but it is no longer a problem.

    Does the 802.1x security setting ever cause a problem? It seems to be
    checked by default. Last night I could connect fine, but the systray icon
    had a red X. When I disabled the 802.1x protocol, the X went away. My
    router does not have that option, just my laptop.

    Clark

    <foxjh@rcn.com> wrote in message
    > Assuming your D-Link 524 firmware is up to date, I would suggest
    > turning off WEP encryption and trying to make a connection to the
    > Internet first. If that works, try turning WEP on. I once had a
    > somewhat similar problem with WinXP that I could not connect to the
    > Internet through the router (Netgear WGR614) with encryption on unless
    > I first connected with it off. I think it had to do with running in
    > mixed mode (802.11b and g), but it is no longer a problem.

    It only works if I turn off the encyption and (really strange) if I leave the
    SSID as "default". If I change any setting and reconnect it reverts to
    "limited or no connectivity". I'm checking into a firmware update, but I
    can't identify one that I need on the dlink site. Really strange not to be
    able to even change the SSID.

    "foxjh@rcn.com" wrote:

    > Assuming your D-Link 524 firmware is up to date, I would suggest
    > turning off WEP encryption and trying to make a connection to the
    > Internet first. If that works, try turning WEP on. I once had a
    > somewhat similar problem with WinXP that I could not connect to the
    > Internet through the router (Netgear WGR614) with encryption on unless
    > I first connected with it off. I think it had to do with running in
    > mixed mode (802.11b and g), but it is no longer a problem.

Internet Wireless Networking