intel chip, intel board... but no dice. help?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Can someone help me try to figure out what's up with this?

I have an intel D815EEA mobo, which has been running a 600EB P3 (flip
chip 370) for some time and everything works fine. I recently picked up
a cheap 1Ghz P3 to make the machine a little more usable.

The problem is, although the 1G passes through the bios and stuff fine,
the machine reboots itself right before XP is about to load (right
before the logo would pop up). Swapping back in the 600EB everything
works fine...

For reference, the chip says:

1000/256/133/1.75v
L123A723-0243
PENTIUM III SL52R

... which ought to work according to...
support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d815eea/sb/cs-013068.htm
... right? Am I reading something wrong here? Is the chip just bad or
something? I'm using the latest bios version (p11) and there are no
cpu-speed jumpers on the board that I can see.... anyone have any ideas?

____
- Quartz -
there are 10 types of people in the world: those who get this joke, and
those who don't.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 16:34:05 -0400, Quartz
<in@the.message.body> wrote:

>I have an intel D815EEA mobo, which has been running a 600EB P3 (flip
>chip 370) for some time and everything works fine. I recently picked up
>a cheap 1Ghz P3 to make the machine a little more usable.
>
>The problem is, although the 1G passes through the bios and stuff fine,
>the machine reboots itself right before XP is about to load (right
>before the logo would pop up). Swapping back in the 600EB everything
>works fine...

Are you certain the heatsink is on good, that it wasn't
overheating? If you had tried reinstalling it multiple
times, that's probably not the problem but one time, maybe.

It should use more power too, is your power supply adequate?
You might take voltage readings. Also check it with
memtest86+. IIRC, the "EB" P3 was a 133MHz FSB CPU, so it
shouldn't be an issue of a higher memory bus speed from the
new CPU, though if you had changed no jumpers or bios
settings, we'd be assuming the speed but perhaps not proven
yet? Memtest86+ will also show the operational speed of the
CPU, not just what it's "supposed" to be.

>For reference, the chip says:
>
>1000/256/133/1.75v
>L123A723-0243
>PENTIUM III SL52R
>

>.. which ought to work according to...
>support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d815eea/sb/cs-013068.htm
>.. right? Am I reading something wrong here? Is the chip just bad or
>something? I'm using the latest bios version (p11) and there are no
>cpu-speed jumpers on the board that I can see.... anyone have any ideas?

You could try clearing CMOS. I

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Quartz, <in@the.message.body>, the necrotic, spur-galled toilet cleaner, and
itinerant dealer in small goods and general pedlar, objurgated:

> Can someone help me try to figure out what's up with this?
>

> I have an intel D815EEA mobo, which has been running a 600EB P3 (flip
> chip 370) for some time and everything works fine. I recently picked
> up a cheap 1Ghz P3 to make the machine a little more usable.
>
> The problem is, although the 1G passes through the bios and stuff
> fine, the machine reboots itself right before XP is about to load
> (right before the logo would pop up). Swapping back in the 600EB
> everything works fine...
>

> For reference, the chip says:
>
> 1000/256/133/1.75v
> L123A723-0243
> PENTIUM III SL52R
>

> .. which ought to work according to...
> support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d815eea/sb/cs-013068.htm
> .. right? Am I reading something wrong here? Is the chip just bad or
> something? I'm using the latest bios version (p11) and there are no
> cpu-speed jumpers on the board that I can see.... anyone have any
> ideas?

There may be something wrong with the cpu, but you should eliminate XP as
the problem before you conclude anything. Do this:

http://kadaitcha.cx/xp_how_to.html#b
Take the link to "Parallel Installation", then read the section called
"Install Windows XP to a new folder".

XP is known for not working with different chipsets. It is likely that XP is
trying to load the wrong microcode into the CPU, hence the reboot.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

> XP is known for not working with different chipsets. It is likely that XP is
> trying to load the wrong microcode into the CPU, hence the reboot.

hmm... well that's interesting. I'll have to check that.

____
- Quartz -
there are 10 types of people in the world: those who get this joke, and
those who don't.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

> [heatsink]

hmm... well, lemme buy some more thermal grease and slap it on just to
make sure.

> Wattage rating means less if it's a generic.

yeah I know, but what I'm getting at is that I've never had problems
with this before when taxing the system, so...

this mobo also has onboard voltage sensor readings, they've never shown
anything to be wrong before, should I trust them?

> Probably right then, though 'something' is wrong, best to
> get another confirmation when the opportunity arises, IMO.

yeah... I was hoping someone had a simple answer, but it looks like I
just have to run down the list and check things one by one.

> Disconnect AC to the PSU, then either pull the battery for
> ~10 minutes or use the clear-cmos jumper (should be shown in
> your manual or look around near the battery, though
> sometimes further away from it).

err... there is a distinct lack of labeled jumpers on this board, other
than the 'special bios config' one.

____
- Quartz -
there are 10 types of people in the world: those who get this joke, and
those who don't.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

> http://kadaitcha.cx/xp_how_to.html#b
> Take the link to "Parallel Installation", then read the section called
> "Install Windows XP to a new folder".

hmm... is there any reason I'd *need* to install it to the same drive?
(as opposed to just stuffing an xbox HD or something in there and
installing to that)

____
- Quartz -
there are 10 types of people in the world: those who get this joke, and
those who don't.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 16:48:29 -0400, Quartz
<in@the.message.body> wrote:

>> [heatsink]
>
>hmm... well, lemme buy some more thermal grease and slap it on just to
>make sure.
>

>> Wattage rating means less if it's a generic.
>
>yeah I know, but what I'm getting at is that I've never had problems
>with this before when taxing the system, so...

While that it a reasonable presumption, now your faster CPU
has a higher PSU load. With that in mind, it's still among
possible culprits.

>this mobo also has onboard voltage sensor readings, they've never shown
>anything to be wrong before, should I trust them?

yes/no/maybe.

you can trust then within the context of having trusted them
previously? If you want an accurate voltage reading, you
will have to use a multimeter to measure at the connector to
the load (for this purpose, a drive connector, or
motherboard connector, etc), BUT, the deviation of an
onboard sensor is somewhat linear with amperage such that if
it were off and you were aware of it, you can still use the
software report to note a relative change in voltage.

>> Probably right then, though 'something' is wrong, best to
>> get another confirmation when the opportunity arises, IMO.
>
>yeah... I was hoping someone had a simple answer, but it looks like I
>just have to run down the list and check things one by one.

Well the simple answer is it should work. Who knows, maybe
you received that one CPU out of a million that's defective
in some way? Odds are against it, but that doesn't help
that 1 person figure out what's going on.

>> Disconnect AC to the PSU, then either pull the battery for
>> ~10 minutes or use the clear-cmos jumper (should be shown in
>> your manual or look around near the battery, though
>> sometimes further away from it).
>
>err... there is a distinct lack of labeled jumpers on this board, other
>than the 'special bios config' one.

Special bios config? Odd, try it.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 16:27:02 -0400, Quartz
<in@the.message.body> wrote:

>> XP is known for not working with different chipsets. It is likely that XP is
>> trying to load the wrong microcode into the CPU, hence the reboot.
>
>hmm... well that's interesting. I'll have to check that.

Since you continue to use the same board, you're using the
same chipset. It's even the same family of CPU, just one
with a higher multiplier and "Maybe" a different stepping.
XP should not be the problem unless there was already some
kind of timing bug that only surfaced due to the higher
performing CPU.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Quartz, <in@the.message.body>, the confused, stillborn glove puppet, and
employee who improves old saws by deepening the cuts with his tongue,
declaimed:

>> http://kadaitcha.cx/xp_how_to.html#b
>> Take the link to "Parallel Installation", then read the section
>> called "Install Windows XP to a new folder".
>
> hmm... is there any reason I'd *need* to install it to the same drive?
> (as opposed to just stuffing an xbox HD or something in there and
> installing to that)

No - stuff it on another drive.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

>It would be
> good to try booting safemode

no dice on that either, I don't get any of the text on the screen, it
instantly reboots (same as if I try to boot normally)

I don't have any other OSs handy at the moment... (and I dont' really
feel like messing with linux). lemme ask someone for some other disc and
I'll get back to you on that.

____
- Quartz -
there are 10 types of people in the world: those who get this joke, and
those who don't.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

> >yeah I know, but what I'm getting at is that I've never had problems
> >with this before when taxing the system, so...
>
> While that it a reasonable presumption, now your faster CPU
> has a higher PSU load. With that in mind, it's still among
> possible culprits.

bleh.... I don't really feel like going out and dropping $50 on a new
psu...

>If you want an accurate voltage reading, you
> will have to use a multimeter to measure at the connector to
> the load (for this purpose, a drive connector, or
> motherboard connector, etc),

speaking of, can I just needle an unused drive power plug, or do I need
to find the mains on the actual mobo itself? (I have no idea how to go
about doing any of this)

>Who knows, maybe
> you received that one CPU out of a million that's defective
> in some way?

I bought it second-hand from a guy who had about 50 of them, he said
they were all tested and working.

> >> Disconnect AC to the PSU, then either pull the battery for
> >> ~10 minutes or use the clear-cmos jumper (should be shown in
> >> your manual or look around near the battery, though
> >> sometimes further away from it).
> >
> >err... there is a distinct lack of labeled jumpers on this board, other
> >than the 'special bios config' one.
>
> Special bios config? Odd, try it.

no, it just enables a hidden menu in the bios that allows me to screw
around with the RAS#/CAS# delay and other low-level stuff. all it lets
me clear is the bios password and the BIS credentials.

oh, it does say this about the 1g CPU though:

CPU Microcode Update Rev. [MU168A01]
CPU Stepping Signature [68A]

I dunno if that helps anyone in any way.

____
- Quartz -
there are 10 types of people in the world: those who get this joke, and
those who don't.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 18:51:20 -0400, Quartz
<in@the.message.body> wrote:

>> >yeah I know, but what I'm getting at is that I've never had problems
>> >with this before when taxing the system, so...
>>
>> While that it a reasonable presumption, now your faster CPU
>> has a higher PSU load. With that in mind, it's still among
>> possible culprits.
>
>bleh.... I don't really feel like going out and dropping $50 on a new
>psu...

May not be PSU but if it is, does it matter if you feel like
it? Take some voltage measurements.

>>If you want an accurate voltage reading, you
>> will have to use a multimeter to measure at the connector to
>> the load (for this purpose, a drive connector, or
>> motherboard connector, etc),
>
>speaking of, can I just needle an unused drive power plug, or do I need
>to find the mains on the actual mobo itself? (I have no idea how to go
>about doing any of this)

You could measure an unused plug, but technically the
correct voltage is at the plug, plugged into the load. That
means a used plug, for example the video card (when
applicable) and the motherboard connectors, through the back
while the system is running.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

> >> http://kadaitcha.cx/xp_how_to.html#b
> >> Take the link to "Parallel Installation", then read the section
> >> called "Install Windows XP to a new folder".
> >
> > hmm... is there any reason I'd *need* to install it to the same drive?
> > (as opposed to just stuffing an xbox HD or something in there and
> > installing to that)
>
> No - stuff it on another drive.

setup won't run, it dies before it even gets to the blue screen with
"the file txtsetup.sif is missing or corrupt, status 8192". and before
anyone asks, this is a legit cd that works fine if I put the 600 back in.

any ideas?

____

On 23 Sep 2005 12:16:35 -0700, DWalker <none@none.com>
wrote:

>XP doesn't load code INTO the CPU. XP has chipset drivers, and it
>*might* have code that runs in XP that varies depending on which
>processor it's being runon , but I thought it was all related to which
>chipset is used, not which CPU specifically.
>
>But I'll probably get cussed out by Kadaitcha. Why does he have to
>criticize everyone so much? Fears of inadequacy?

There are rare cases where WinXP at SP2 level (or in the
future, higher SP level) won't load the newer microcode.
This is significant when the CPU, particularly L2 cache
IIRC, has changed. We are not facing such a situation in
this thread as the two CPUs are both Coppermine P3, with
merely a different multiplier. These two different CPUs the
op has are for most purposes, *identical*.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

[resintall XP]

> setup won't run, it dies before it even gets to the blue screen with
> "the file txtsetup.sif is missing or corrupt, status 8192". and before
> anyone asks, this is a legit cd that works fine if I put the 600 back in.
>
> any ideas?

anyone?

____
- Quartz -
there are 10 types of people in the world: those who get this joke, and
those who don't.

Stephen

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 20:13:26 -0400, Quartz <in@the.message.body> had
a flock of green cheek conures squawk out:

>[resintall XP]
>
>> setup won't run, it dies before it even gets to the blue screen with
>> "the file txtsetup.sif is missing or corrupt, status 8192". and before
>> anyone asks, this is a legit cd that works fine if I put the 600 back in.
>>
>> any ideas?
>

>anyone?

The one time I was getting read errors from a cd for an os install
(Win2k). I found that one of my memory sticks was bad.

Stephen

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

> >[resintall XP]
> >
> >> setup won't run, it dies before it even gets to the blue screen with
> >> "the file txtsetup.sif is missing or corrupt, status 8192". and before
> >> anyone asks, this is a legit cd that works fine if I put the 600 back in.
> >>
> >> any ideas?
> >

> >anyone?
>
> The one time I was getting read errors from a cd for an os install
> (Win2k). I found that one of my memory sticks was bad.

hmm.... is it possible that there's some issue with the bus speed? maybe
I should try swapping out my pc133's with pc100's...

____