crash,no boot what went wrong? bad vid card?

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
September 19, 2005 5:36:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Hey guys,

Kinda a rookie here, but pretty competetent.

My computer is about a year and a half old. Heres my setup:

ASUS P4S800 mobo
Intel P4 Prescott 2.8 w/HT
512mb Corsair Value Select DDR3200
ATI Radeon 9600SE 128MB video
Western Digital 80gig HD 7200rpm
dvd-rom, cd-rw, dvd-rw drives
Antec case

This computer has been running great for a year and a half. Has the
newest software versions of everything incl XP fully updated. My
computer was running fabulous and then all of a sudden during a disk
cleanup, it locked up. So, powered off my computer and tried powering
back up and the HDD LED comes on solid (no flashing). The cd drives
and fans power up. No response from my monitor, it turns on and then
goes into standby.

I formatted the hard drive with another computer, no fix. Ordered a
repl motherboard, no fix. Tried a different HD, no fix. Tried a
known good ram chip, no fix. Tried unplugging all the peripherals, no
fix. I’m down to basically the power supply, processor, or the video
card. I would think the power supply would be okay since all the
peripherals and fans power up.

I have tested my monitor with a working computer and it is fine. That
wouldn’t cause a no boot condition anyway, lol.

Basically, I need to know if a bad video card will cause a computer
not to boot? If so, then i will return the motherboard i just put in
and try the video card. If not, then I’m gonna throw the dart at the
processor.

Any experienced assistance would be great at this point.

P.S. I am building a computer for my gf’’s dad and its doing the same
thing. He built it and got about half done. I put a HD in it and
hooked up all the cables on the computer. When I went to start it, it
does the exact same thing as mine.

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Home-Built-crash-boot-wro...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=313462
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 19, 2005 5:10:11 PM

"bikewiz" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
> Hey guys,
>
> Kinda a rookie here, but pretty competetent.
>
> My computer is about a year and a half old. Heres my setup:
>
> ASUS P4S800 mobo
> Intel P4 Prescott 2.8 w/HT
> 512mb Corsair Value Select DDR3200
> ATI Radeon 9600SE 128MB video
> Western Digital 80gig HD 7200rpm
> dvd-rom, cd-rw, dvd-rw drives
> Antec case
>
> This computer has been running great for a year and a half. Has the
> newest software versions of everything incl XP fully updated. My
> computer was running fabulous and then all of a sudden during a disk
> cleanup, it locked up. So, powered off my computer and tried powering
> back up and the HDD LED comes on solid (no flashing). The cd drives
> and fans power up. No response from my monitor, it turns on and then
> goes into standby.
>
> I formatted the hard drive with another computer, no fix. Ordered a
> repl motherboard, no fix. Tried a different HD, no fix. Tried a
> known good ram chip, no fix. Tried unplugging all the peripherals, no
> fix. I’m down to basically the power supply, processor, or the video
> card. I would think the power supply would be okay since all the
> peripherals and fans power up.
>
> I have tested my monitor with a working computer and it is fine. That
> wouldn’t cause a no boot condition anyway, lol.
>
> Basically, I need to know if a bad video card will cause a computer
> not to boot? If so, then i will return the motherboard i just put in
> and try the video card. If not, then I’m gonna throw the dart at the
> processor.
>
> Any experienced assistance would be great at this point.
>
> P.S. I am building a computer for my gf’’s dad and its doing the same
> thing. He built it and got about half done. I put a HD in it and
> hooked up all the cables on the computer. When I went to start it, it
> does the exact same thing as mine.

I would start with the PSU. Make sure it is a name brand and actually puts
out the rated power. Many people skimp on the power supply when it is one of
the most important part of any build. Because the fans power up does not
mean that other voltages are not marginal.

Ed
September 19, 2005 5:10:12 PM

"Ed Medlin" <ed@edmedlin.com> wrote in message

> "bikewiz" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
> > Hey guys,
> >
> > Kinda a rookie here, but pretty competetent.
> >
> > My computer is about a year and a half old. Heres my setup:
> >
> > ASUS P4S800 mobo
> > Intel P4 Prescott 2.8 w/HT
> > 512mb Corsair Value Select DDR3200
> > ATI Radeon 9600SE 128MB video
> > Western Digital 80gig HD 7200rpm
> > dvd-rom, cd-rw, dvd-rw drives
> > Antec case
> >
> > This computer has been running great for a year and a half. Has the
> > newest software versions of everything incl XP fully updated. My
> > computer was running fabulous and then all of a sudden during a disk
> > cleanup, it locked up. So, powered off my computer and tried powering
> > back up and the HDD LED comes on solid (no flashing). The cd drives
> > and fans power up. No response from my monitor, it turns on and then
> > goes into standby.
> >
> > I formatted the hard drive with another computer, no fix. Ordered a
> > repl motherboard, no fix. Tried a different HD, no fix. Tried a
> > known good ram chip, no fix. Tried unplugging all the peripherals, no
> > fix. I’m down to basically the power supply, processor, or the video
> > card. I would think the power supply would be okay since all the
> > peripherals and fans power up.
> >
> > I have tested my monitor with a working computer and it is fine. That
> > wouldn’t cause a no boot condition anyway, lol.
> >
> > Basically, I need to know if a bad video card will cause a computer
> > not to boot? If so, then i will return the motherboard i just put in
> > and try the video card. If not, then I’m gonna throw the dart at the
> > processor.
> >
> > Any experienced assistance would be great at this point.
> >
> > P.S. I am building a computer for my gf’’s dad and its doing the same
> > thing. He built it and got about half done. I put a HD in it and
> > hooked up all the cables on the computer. When I went to start it, it
> > does the exact same thing as mine.
> >

> I would start with the PSU. Make sure it is a name brand and actually puts
> out the rated power. Many people skimp on the power supply when it is one
of
> the most important part of any build. Because the fans power up does not
> mean that other voltages are not marginal.
>
> Ed

Agreed, PSU would be my starting point. the newer rigs are now pushing the
limits of marginal power supplies.
!