Dead Mobo, New Mobo, Slow load Windows, CPU Idle at 50%

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Alright, I had a motherboard that died (ASUS P4S800) I needed a quick
fix so I ran to Compusa and bought a new motherboard (Abit VT7) After
putting it in I repaired windows, but everything was running slow as
far as boot up. The Windows black screen with the blue bar goes quick
and fine, and then once the screen blinks and the mouse appears on
black it takes a while before the windows login screen (I have it set
to autologin with tweakui). Then it takes a while before it says

Right now I’m idling and running CPU at 53%. The load up and idle cpu
were the same when I ran msconfig and rebooted into diagnostic mode.
Next I ran disk defrag and check disk, still no fix. So I reformatted
the disk and reinstalled windows. Same story. Everything runs pretty
alright, but the cpu rocking the 50% area is no good.

Under Processes in task manager, System Idle Process is at 88-90% so
obviously something is off here. Anyway, I’ve got a new mobo (Asus
P4P800SE) coming from newegg and when it gets here I’m returning this
Abit board. However I’d like to find out what is up with this crazy
cpu idle. Any suggestions or things I should try and do?

here’s the system specs
abit vt7
p4 2.8GHz Prescott
1GB Kingston DDR
80GB Western Digital (system) ATA
160GB Seagate (storage) ATA
Nvidia Geforce FX 5200

I ran FreshDiagnose’s CPU Benchmark and it ranked my processor lower
than all the others on the chart. Even lower than the Celeron 700MHz.
All other benchmarks ranked as they should have.

Please help me guys! Thanks!

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Home-Built-Dead-Mobo-Mobo-Slow-load-Windows-CPU-Idle-50-ftopict62246.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=313622

"slazareth" wrote:
> Alright, I had a motherboard that died (ASUS P4S800) I needed
> a quick fix so I ran to Compusa and bought a new motherboard
> (Abit VT7) After putting it in I repaired windows, but
> everything was running slow as far as boot up. The Windows
> black screen with the blue bar goes quick and fine, and then
> once the screen blinks and the mouse appears on black it takes
> a while before the windows login screen (I have it set to
> autologin with tweakui). Then it takes a while before it says
> windows.
>
> Right now I'm idling and running CPU at 53%. The load up and
> idle cpu were the same when I ran msconfig and rebooted into
> diagnostic mode. Next I ran disk defrag and check disk, still
> no fix. So I reformatted the disk and reinstalled windows.
> Same story. Everything runs pretty alright, but the cpu
> rocking the 50% area is no good.
>
> Under Processes in task manager, System Idle Process is at
> 88-90% so obviously something is off here. Anyway, I've got a
> new mobo (Asus P4P800SE) coming from newegg and when it gets
> here I'm returning this Abit board. However I'd like to find
> out what is up with this crazy cpu idle. Any suggestions or
> things I should try and do?
>
> here's the system specs
> abit vt7
> p4 2.8GHz Prescott
> 1GB Kingston DDR
> 80GB Western Digital (system) ATA
> 160GB Seagate (storage) ATA
> Nvidia Geforce FX 5200
>
> I ran FreshDiagnose's CPU Benchmark and it ranked my processor
> lower than all the others on the chart. Even lower than the
> Celeron 700MHz. All other benchmarks ranked as they should
> have.
>
> Please help me guys! Thanks!

Some more info... CPU-Z info

Core Speed: 2813.8MHz (around this fluctuating)
Multiplier: x14.0
FSB: 201.0MHz
Bus Speed: 804MHz (around this fluctuating)
L1 Data: 16 KBytes
L1 Trace: 12 Kuops
Level 2: 1024KBytes

Also, I ran CPU Benchmark in FreshDiagnose... My processor ranked
lowest on the charts. Below an Intel Celeron 700MHz that’s horrible.
something is terribly wrong.

jad

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

do you have a winmodem installed or integrated audio enabled while having a
PCI expansion sound card enabled? Do you have 'indexing' enabled?

"slazareth" <DoNotEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
> [...]

> > 1GB Kingston DDR
> > 80GB Western Digital (system) ATA
> > 160GB Seagate (storage) ATA
> > Nvidia Geforce FX 5200
> >
> > I ran FreshDiagnose's CPU Benchmark and it ranked my processor
> > lower than all the others on the chart. Even lower than the
> > Celeron 700MHz. All other benchmarks ranked as they should
> > have.
> >
> > Please help me guys! Thanks!
>
> Some more info... CPU-Z info
>
> Core Speed: 2813.8MHz (around this fluctuating)
> Multiplier: x14.0
> FSB: 201.0MHz
> Bus Speed: 804MHz (around this fluctuating)
> L1 Data: 16 KBytes
> L1 Trace: 12 Kuops
> Level 2: 1024KBytes
>
> Also, I ran CPU Benchmark in FreshDiagnose... My processor ranked
> lowest on the charts. Below an Intel Celeron 700MHz that's horrible.
Just to confirm, after reformatting/reinstalling Windows, you installed
drivers from Abit's CD/Website? No yellow/red marks in Device Manager?
What's the CPU temp? If, perchance, the HSF is misaligned, hi cpu temp
might be causing the cpu to throttle.
No tweaks to the BIOS?
Don't know if it would be of any use, but how are you determining the 50%
cpu useage?
Any chance there's a virus/worm on any of the other drives/partitions?
Lastly, since the CPU was known good only before the previous MB died, you
wonder if the CPU is damaged. How do you know the previous MB died?
You would think that a CPU would be good or bad, not somewhere in between.
You'll find out with the new MB.

slazareth wrote:
> Alright, I had a motherboard that died (ASUS P4S800) I needed a quick
> fix so I ran to Compusa and bought a new motherboard (Abit VT7) After
> putting it in I repaired windows, but everything was running slow as
> far as boot up. The Windows black screen with the blue bar goes quick
> and fine, and then once the screen blinks and the mouse appears on
> black it takes a while before the windows login screen (I have it set
> to autologin with tweakui). Then it takes a while before it says
>
> Right now I’m idling and running CPU at 53%. The load up and idle cpu
> were the same when I ran msconfig and rebooted into diagnostic mode.
> Next I ran disk defrag and check disk, still no fix. So I reformatted
> the disk and reinstalled windows. Same story. Everything runs pretty
> alright, but the cpu rocking the 50% area is no good.
>
> Under Processes in task manager, System Idle Process is at 88-90% so
> obviously something is off here. Anyway, I’ve got a new mobo (Asus
> P4P800SE) coming from newegg and when it gets here I’m returning this
> Abit board. However I’d like to find out what is up with this crazy
> cpu idle. Any suggestions or things I should try and do?
>
> here’s the system specs
> abit vt7
> p4 2.8GHz Prescott
> 1GB Kingston DDR
> 80GB Western Digital (system) ATA
> 160GB Seagate (storage) ATA
> Nvidia Geforce FX 5200
>
> I ran FreshDiagnose’s CPU Benchmark and it ranked my processor lower
> than all the others on the chart. Even lower than the Celeron 700MHz.
> All other benchmarks ranked as they should have.
>
> Please help me guys! Thanks!

New motherboards should be set up with a clean install of Windows.
Every motherboard has slightly different hardware and needs its own
chipset drivers which usually come on a CD with the motherboard. You
might try using a repair install and then installing the chipset
drivers. However, a fresh install is more desirable. It always seems
like after a fresh install, that the computer always runs better.