Getting Pocket Word & Excel Files to My PC

August 8, 2004 4:22:43 PM

I am also struggling with the spinning green wheel.

I have Pocket Word & Pocket Excel Files on my Dell Axim
and want to get them to my PC. I also have Word & Excel
files on my PC and want to get them to my Axim.

I can see my Axim "Mobil Device" on My Computer, but when
I click on it, I don't see any files.

Is there any simple way to exchange these files manually
without Active Sync?

Thanks ... Jim
Anonymous
August 9, 2004 1:22:39 AM

Jim can you elaborate please? For example, are the desktop files large or in
the case of word contain extensive formatting e.g.tables and the like.
Ray
"Jim" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am also struggling with the spinning green wheel.
>
> I have Pocket Word & Pocket Excel Files on my Dell Axim
> and want to get them to my PC. I also have Word & Excel
> files on my PC and want to get them to my Axim.
>
> I can see my Axim "Mobil Device" on My Computer, but when
> I click on it, I don't see any files.
>
> Is there any simple way to exchange these files manually
> without Active Sync?
>
> Thanks ... Jim
Anonymous
August 9, 2004 1:22:40 AM

imho, the best solution is to get a memory card reader and transfer
these files directly to the card.

much faster
much more reliable

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
August 11, 2004 6:55:30 PM

Reply to message from "Jim" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> (Sun, 08
Aug 2004 15:22:43) about "Getting Pocket Word & Excel Files to My PC":

J> I am also struggling with the spinning green wheel.

J> I have Pocket Word & Pocket Excel Files on my Dell Axim and want to get
J> them to my PC. I also have Word & Excel files on my PC and want to get
J> them to my Axim.

J> I can see my Axim "Mobil Device" on My Computer, but when I click on
J> it, I don't see any files.

J> Is there any simple way to exchange these files manually without Active
J> Sync?

Drop the into your My Documents\PocketPc folder and they load on the sync.
If you want to work directly with the files on the PocketPC from the
computer, then you need to first open up Explore in the Active Sync
program. That will "turn on" the ability to work with the files fRom within
Windos Explorer.

JPinOH
Jon Porter <jporteratnetwalk.com> Wed, 11 Aug 2004 13:58:34 -0400

August 21, 2004 6:23:36 PM

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 15:52:22 -0500, "Beverly Howard
[Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote:

>imho, the best solution is to get a memory card reader and transfer
>these files directly to the card.
>
>much faster
>much more reliable
>
>Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

I like this idea, but I thought the files had to go through some
sort of "translation" when moving from PC to PPC that could
only be done through ActiveSync. No?
Anonymous
August 21, 2004 6:23:37 PM

Older versions of WinCE ms apps did need "translation" but have heard of
no problems with accessing word and excel files transferred directly to
the memory card... been doing it since the first Jornada without problems.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
August 28, 2004 1:20:45 PM

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 13:36:16 -0500, "Beverly Howard
[Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote:

>Older versions of WinCE ms apps did need "translation" but have heard of
>no problems with accessing word and excel files transferred directly to
>the memory card... been doing it since the first Jornada without problems.
>
>Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

That's great to know! I wonder if the same holds true for HTML
documents such as Web pages that might be stored on a PC
and then moved to a storage card on a PPC for viewing with Pocket
IE. Any idea?

Barry
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 4:59:27 PM

>> I wonder if the same holds true for HTML
documents such as Web pages that might be stored on a PC
and then moved to a storage card on a PPC for viewing with Pocket
IE <<

html should work from the device without problems... except

accessing internet links

accessing hard coded links (i.e. http://barryssite.us/images/thisphoto.jpg)

Running Java code

Dealing with missing links such as page is downloaded but images are not.

hth,
Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
!