What is the average life expectancy of..................??

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
September 21, 2005 10:41:00 PM

Hello I own several WD hard drives (see list) on two machines. My
question is what is the life expectancy of each drive?
Each machine has the drives spinning constantly (under windows XP
power management) by my choice (I cant wait for HDD to spin up, I want
access right away).
When should I consider replacement? I can not afford to lose the data
on these drives!
Thank You.

AMD PC
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
AMD Athlon XP, 1921 MHz (11.5 x 167) 2600+
Promise Ultra100 TX2

Drive #1 - WDC WD60 0BB-32CXA0 SCSI Disk Device (55 GB)
Drive #2 - WDC WD20 00JB-34EVA0 SCSI Disk Device (186 GB)
Drive #3 - WDC WD12 00BB-53CAA0 SCSI Disk Device (111 GB)
Drive #4 - WDC WD25 00JB-00FUA0 SCSI Disk Device (232 GB)
Drive #5 - WDC WD400BB-00CLB0 (37 GB)- straight IDE connection
=======================================
Intel PC
Intel Pentium 4 530, 3000 MHz (15 x 200)
Asus P5P800
Promise Ultra133 TX2

Drive #1 - WDC WD200BB-75AUA1 (18 GB)-straight IDE connection
Drive #2 - WDC WD20 0BB-00AUA1 SCSI Disk Device (18 GB)
Drive #3 - WDC WD32 00JB-00KFA0 SCSI Disk Device (298 GB)
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 21, 2005 10:41:01 PM

In article <du93j15bjqhs3i6je86q302ivr5og8jube@4ax.com>,
Sammy Smith <myemail@email.net> wrote:
>Hello I own several WD hard drives (see list) on two machines. My
>question is what is the life expectancy of each drive?
>Each machine has the drives spinning constantly (under windows XP
>power management) by my choice (I cant wait for HDD to spin up, I want
>access right away).
>When should I consider replacement? I can not afford to lose the data
>on these drives!

Average life expectancy is interesting to Dell becuase they buy
thousands of disks and have to eat the cost of failures. It's an
abuse of statistics to use a statistical figure to try to anticipate
when _your_ disk is going to die.

The other way to look at is that your computer could be stolen or burn
up and day. The reliability of the disk has nothing to do wth the fact
that your data is lost to you.

Backup. test. backup.

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
September 21, 2005 10:41:01 PM

Hi Sammy,

Your approach to data security (estimate life of HD) is all wrong
because drives (even when of the exact same make) do not fail
consistently at a certain age. Despite talk of MTBF, a particular drive
may last a day, month, year, or ten years.

The only way to secure your data reasonably is to have it duplicated
in another location. The first step is to duplicate it to another drive
- then, if your data warants additional security -- archive it to a
different location.

Duplicating your data is really easy nowdays. Just organize your data
so that the most critical information is centralized (email, desktop,
my documents, favorites etc.) and then use a freeware tool like
TaskZIP, Back2zip or SyncBack to keep running backups to a second drive
(not a second partition on the same drive).

If you have multiple networked computers, you can even run the backup
program on a second computer and backup your data constantly from
across the network. Here are a few freeware backup tools which you may
find useful:

http://free-backup.info/backup-software.htm

Regards,
Chad
a b B Homebuilt system
September 21, 2005 11:29:27 PM

"Sammy Smith" <myemail@email.net> wrote in message
news:D u93j15bjqhs3i6je86q302ivr5og8jube@4ax.com...
> Hello I own several WD hard drives (see list) on two machines. My
> question is what is the life expectancy of each drive?
> Each machine has the drives spinning constantly (under windows XP
> power management) by my choice (I cant wait for HDD to spin up, I want
> access right away).
> When should I consider replacement? I can not afford to lose the data
> on these drives!
> Thank You.

> AMD PC
> Asus A7N8X Deluxe
> AMD Athlon XP, 1921 MHz (11.5 x 167) 2600+
> Promise Ultra100 TX2
>
> Drive #1 - WDC WD60 0BB-32CXA0 SCSI Disk Device (55 GB)
> Drive #2 - WDC WD20 00JB-34EVA0 SCSI Disk Device (186 GB)
> Drive #3 - WDC WD12 00BB-53CAA0 SCSI Disk Device (111 GB)
> Drive #4 - WDC WD25 00JB-00FUA0 SCSI Disk Device (232 GB)
> Drive #5 - WDC WD400BB-00CLB0 (37 GB)- straight IDE connection
> =======================================
> Intel PC
> Intel Pentium 4 530, 3000 MHz (15 x 200)
> Asus P5P800
> Promise Ultra133 TX2
>
> Drive #1 - WDC WD200BB-75AUA1 (18 GB)-straight IDE connection
> Drive #2 - WDC WD20 0BB-00AUA1 SCSI Disk Device (18 GB)
> Drive #3 - WDC WD32 00JB-00KFA0 SCSI Disk Device (298 GB)

Impossible to say, `cos how long is a piece of string ?.. You`ll get a few
different answers to your query. What you could do, is download the hard
drive test tools from the manufacturer and run tests on them occasionally.
best wishes..OJ
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 22, 2005 12:00:57 AM

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 18:41:00 GMT, Sammy Smith
<myemail@email.net> wrote:

>Hello I own several WD hard drives (see list) on two machines. My
>question is what is the life expectancy of each drive?
>Each machine has the drives spinning constantly (under windows XP
>power management) by my choice (I cant wait for HDD to spin up, I want
>access right away).
>When should I consider replacement? I can not afford to lose the data
>on these drives!

Life expectancy is only an average- an average that cannot
be used for replacment purposes in order to safeguard data
as it varies far too widely and does not conver other
potential data risks.

Common rotation intervals for drives might be every couple
years, 3 at most, but may be viewed as it relates to uptime
more than data retention because it is done within the
context of having a proven backup solution in addtion to the
online drives. Translated- make offline/removable backups,
and test them, as the odds of any particular drive failing
before the average/expected lifespan has expired, are too
great. With your expressed use, that you can not afford to
lose the data, it is not reasonable to consider the average
lifespan of the drive as a safeguard against o data loss.

If you will be adding significant amounts of valuable data
inbetween backup intervals, also consider RAID arrays for
data redundancy.

Also it is generally good to not rely on a
motherboard-integral RAID controller in this role unless you
also have a compatible PCI controller that could be
substituted in the event of motherboard failure.
September 22, 2005 10:07:18 PM

To help me in "predicting" failure, I use HDD Health.
Available here: http://www.panterasoft.com/

!