Please comment on this budget system

Here is a budget system that I am looking at building. Does anyone have any
alternate suggestions? Except for the mobo, prices are from Newegg (they
currently only carry a refurb of the MSI).

CASE: IN WIN C Series ATX Mid Tower w/ 300W Power Supply: $44

FAN: Antec 75012 120mm 2 Ball Case Cooling Fan: $19 (better than the
stock fan in the case)

MOBO: MSI RS480M2-IL Motherboard (socket 939) $83

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 1GHz FSB: $146

MEM: GeIL Value 1GB (2 x 512MB) PC 3200: $84

HD: Seagate Barracuda 250GB 7200 RPM SATA $109

Total (+shipping): $485

Video: I may initially just use the on-board shared video as my graphic needs
are very modest. Or I may spring for an ASUS EN6600/TD/128 Geforce 6600 128MB
DDR PCI Express: $110

Will be transferring other components (DVD RW drive, floppy) from existing PC.

Thanks for any suggestions -

jon
--
jw@nospamforme.com
3 answers Last reply

    "badgolferman" <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote:

    >JW, 9/21/2005, 5:39:51 PM, <lkk3j1hn2382i5jlf0cpinj538rr4c3sau@4ax.com>
    >wrote:
    >
    >> Here is a budget system that I am looking at building. Does anyone
    >> have any alternate suggestions? Except for the mobo, prices are from
    >> Newegg (they currently only carry a refurb of the MSI).
    >>
    >> CASE: IN WIN C Series ATX Mid Tower w/ 300W Power Supply: $44
    >
    >I would be leery of the power supply aboard this case. I bought a
    >cheap case with power supply about the same price as that and the PS
    >died within a couple of months. When I replaced it, I couldn't believe
    >how light and cheaply it was made. You may also want something a bit
    >more beefy than 300W.

    Are there reasonably priced cases with good power supplies, or must I buy a
    separate PS?

    And any suggestions for a good budget power supply?

    jon
    --
    jw@nospamforme.com

    JW <jdub@doesntlikespam.net> wrote:

    > "badgolferman" <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > > JW, 9/21/2005, 5:39:51 PM, <lkk3j1hn2382i5jlf0cpinj538rr4c3sau@4ax.com>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > > Here is a budget system that I am looking at building. Does anyone
    > > > have any alternate suggestions? Except for the mobo, prices are from
    > > > Newegg (they currently only carry a refurb of the MSI).
    > >>
    > > > CASE: IN WIN C Series ATX Mid Tower w/ 300W Power Supply: $44
    > >
    > > I would be leery of the power supply aboard this case. I bought a cheap
    > > case with power supply about the same price as that and the PS died
    > > within a couple of months. When I replaced it, I couldn't believe how
    > > light and cheaply it was made. You may also want something a bit more
    > > beefy than 300W.
    >
    > Are there reasonably priced cases with good power supplies, or must I buy
    > a separate PS?
    >
    > And any suggestions for a good budget power supply?

    InWin cases are generally good as are the PSUs they use.
    For the system you mention it should be adequate.
    If you go for a separate graphics card and or a faster CPu then maybe a bit
    more oomph might be needed.
    Cheers!

    --
    Graham

    On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 13:13:44 GMT, JW
    <jdub@doesntlikespam.net> wrote:

    >Are there reasonably priced cases with good power supplies, or must I buy a
    >separate PS?
    >
    >And any suggestions for a good budget power supply?

    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6852943&type=product&productCategoryId=cat01069&id=1093469383939

    In the under $40 power supply category you might try a
    Thermaltake 420W @ Newegg. Otherwise Sparkle/Fortron are
    generally the best value. Since you aren't getting a
    high-end gaming card, the Antec 350W included in above case
    should be sufficient.

Homebuilt Systems