  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
Share
September 22, 2005 1:39:51 AM

Here is a budget system that I am looking at building. Does anyone have any
alternate suggestions? Except for the mobo, prices are from Newegg (they
currently only carry a refurb of the MSI).

CASE: IN WIN C Series ATX Mid Tower w/ 300W Power Supply: $44

FAN: Antec 75012 120mm 2 Ball Case Cooling Fan: $19 (better than the
stock fan in the case)

MOBO: MSI RS480M2-IL Motherboard (socket 939) $83

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 1GHz FSB: $146

MEM: GeIL Value 1GB (2 x 512MB) PC 3200: $84

HD: Seagate Barracuda 250GB 7200 RPM SATA $109

Total (+shipping): $485

Video: I may initially just use the on-board shared video as my graphic needs
are very modest. Or I may spring for an ASUS EN6600/TD/128 Geforce 6600 128MB
DDR PCI Express: $110

Will be transferring other components (DVD RW drive, floppy) from existing PC.

Thanks for any suggestions -

jon
--
jw@nospamforme.com

More about : comment budget system

September 22, 2005 5:13:44 PM

"badgolferman" <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote:

>JW, 9/21/2005, 5:39:51 PM, <lkk3j1hn2382i5jlf0cpinj538rr4c3sau@4ax.com>
>wrote:
>
>> Here is a budget system that I am looking at building. Does anyone
>> have any alternate suggestions? Except for the mobo, prices are from
>> Newegg (they currently only carry a refurb of the MSI).
>>
>> CASE: IN WIN C Series ATX Mid Tower w/ 300W Power Supply: $44
>
>I would be leery of the power supply aboard this case. I bought a
>cheap case with power supply about the same price as that and the PS
>died within a couple of months. When I replaced it, I couldn't believe
>how light and cheaply it was made. You may also want something a bit
>more beefy than 300W.

Are there reasonably priced cases with good power supplies, or must I buy a
separate PS?

And any suggestions for a good budget power supply?

jon
--
jw@nospamforme.com
September 22, 2005 6:19:42 PM

JW <jdub@doesntlikespam.net> wrote:

> "badgolferman" <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > JW, 9/21/2005, 5:39:51 PM, <lkk3j1hn2382i5jlf0cpinj538rr4c3sau@4ax.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Here is a budget system that I am looking at building. Does anyone
> > > have any alternate suggestions? Except for the mobo, prices are from
> > > Newegg (they currently only carry a refurb of the MSI).
> >>
> > > CASE: IN WIN C Series ATX Mid Tower w/ 300W Power Supply: $44
> >
> > I would be leery of the power supply aboard this case. I bought a cheap
> > case with power supply about the same price as that and the PS died
> > within a couple of months. When I replaced it, I couldn't believe how
> > light and cheaply it was made. You may also want something a bit more
> > beefy than 300W.
>
> Are there reasonably priced cases with good power supplies, or must I buy
> a separate PS?
>
> And any suggestions for a good budget power supply?

InWin cases are generally good as are the PSUs they use.
For the system you mention it should be adequate.
If you go for a separate graphics card and or a faster CPu then maybe a bit
more oomph might be needed.
Cheers!

--
Graham
Anonymous

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 13:13:44 GMT, JW
<jdub@doesntlikespam.net> wrote:

>Are there reasonably priced cases with good power supplies, or must I buy a
>separate PS?
>
>And any suggestions for a good budget power supply?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6852943&t...

In the under $40 power supply category you might try a
Thermaltake 420W @ Newegg. Otherwise Sparkle/Fortron are
generally the best value. Since you aren't getting a
high-end gaming card, the Antec 350W included in above case
should be sufficient.
!