Crud in refilled magenta Canon BCI 3E ink tank

I've just posted, with the same subject as this message, two photos in
alt.binaries.photos.original of crud in a refilled tank. Any ideas what
caused the problem?

One person here suggested a reaction between the residue of the orignal
Canon ink with the new refill ink, like lemon juice curdling milk. I
welcome your comments.

Thanks,

Ray

I have seen this problem twice in Canon cartridges I refilled. Once it was
caused by a reaction of a plated screw I used in sealing the cartridge. Now
I never use metal. The other time I'm pretty sure it was the ink. Changed
vendors and have never had the problem since.

Crhoff wrote:
> I have seen this problem twice in Canon cartridges I refilled. Once it was
> caused by a reaction of a plated screw I used in sealing the cartridge. Now
> I never use metal.

Nothing wrong with using metal - as long as it's a "stainless steel"
screw. Been using them without any problems in my BCI-3's and BCI-6's.

I could see a potential "crud" problem if someone was to be as care-
less as to use a "universal" type refill ink - an ink not specifically
designed for THAT cartridge type ONLY. Basic advice: if you value your
printer, stay miles away from any universal inks. The correct place
for them is on the store shelves and *NOT* in your printer. If we
ignore them, perhaps they'll go away. ;-)

-Taliesyn

Did your new vendor use a non-metal plug? Who are you buying from? My
problems were with the Atlascopy refill kit. Not only with the crud in
the magenta tank, but their yellow ink had a distinct green color to it,
both while in the tank and on paper.

Ray

Crhoff wrote:

> I have seen this problem twice in Canon cartridges I refilled. Once it was
> caused by a reaction of a plated screw I used in sealing the cartridge. Now
> I never use metal. The other time I'm pretty sure it was the ink. Changed
> vendors and have never had the problem since.
>

> "Ray K" <raykosXXX@optonline.net> wrote in message
>
>>I've just posted, with the same subject as this message, two photos in
>>alt.binaries.photos.original of crud in a refilled tank. Any ideas what
>>caused the problem?
>>
>>One person here suggested a reaction between the residue of the orignal
>>Canon ink with the new refill ink, like lemon juice curdling milk. I
>>welcome your comments.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Ray

I don't understand the value in trying to refill ink tanks that are 12 bucks
OEM from Canon. You guys must print many hundreds of pages for the 'savings' to
offset the hassle and risk of damage to the print heads. I could understand it
if the canon cartidges were like 20 bucks or more a pop, and if they didnl;t
last so long, but this... just makes no sense to me...

Refilling a BCI-6 cartridge takes about two minutes if you aren't in a
hurry. It can be done in less time if it's that important. It isn't a messy
task if you exercise basic common sense. Why do we refill? Since it costs
anywhere from under 50¢ to about $2.00 for enough bulk ink (quality, not
universal) depending upon the quantity and vendor, the savings are
significant. There is also hassle involved in having to go to the store and
purchase more cartridges when a $12 OEM tank runs out. At $72 for a set of
six, not many of us are going to keep a supply on hand. Does refilling pose
a risk of damage to the printheads? Not according to my experience or from
any of us here on this newsgroup. However, even if there was a potential of
damage, at a savings of $10 or more per refill, it only takes a few refills
to save enough to purchase a new printer. As fast as Canon comes out with
new models, I almost wish that one of mine would break so I'd have an excuse
to get one of the new iP4000 or iP5000 models. You may or may not have seen
the responses I've posted in regards to ink refilling costs. I do print a
decent amount and based upon the amount of printing I do and the quantity of
ink used, it costs right at .012¢ (less than 2 cents) per 8.5 x 11 sheet.
BTW, at present I'm refilling four Canon printers, all of which use BCI-6
tanks, and none of them have ever had any printhead problems.
--
Ron Cohen

"MSu1049321" <msu1049321@aol.comnospamn> wrote in message
> I don't understand the value in trying to refill ink tanks that are 12
bucks
> OEM from Canon. You guys must print many hundreds of pages for the
'savings' to
> offset the hassle and risk of damage to the print heads. I could
understand it
> if the canon cartidges were like 20 bucks or more a pop, and if they
didnl;t
> last so long, but this... just makes no sense to me...

---
AVG reports Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

MSu1049321 wrote:
> I don't understand the value in trying to refill ink tanks that are 12 bucks
> OEM from Canon. You guys must print many hundreds of pages for the 'savings' to
> offset the hassle and risk of damage to the print heads. I could understand it
> if the canon cartidges were like 20 bucks or more a pop, and if they didnl;t
> last so long, but this... just makes no sense to me...

Is it really that difficult to comprehend?

I could see your point if a person only used one set of cartridges
per year. I assume you're in that category. ;-)

I'm not, and I'm not made of money. 5 OEM Canon carts for my i860 will
set me back $125 CDN here in Canada. Ouch! Unaffordable for someone on
my budget and my love of creating and printing stuff - greeting cards,
photos, CD liners, text, you name it. What am I supposed to do,
surrender to Canon or get another hobby? Neither!

Solution. I just paid $134 for 5 - 8 oz bottles of bulk ink that will
enable me to refill a couple of DOZEN times maybe (at least the color
carts). I've enough ink for several years. Compare the cost. ONE set of
Canon originals at $125 CDN, or the privilege of virtually unlimited
printing for several years at $134. Exact same quality. Damage to
printer? Doubt it. And who cares. Last year I estimate I saved (or not
spent) over $1000 in cartridge costs. How many new printers (not just
print heads) will that buy?

Does it make any more sense now?...

-Taliesyn