Question for ACE!!!

August 9, 2004 12:24:36 AM

Hi Ace,

I have a question for you!

Do you have a URL that really explains how to download and install today
screen themes?

I've got all these zip file themes in my PDA that won't open. Along the way
of moving these zip files around, from my "workhorse" user to my "Axim"
user, somehow I did something that prevented me from copying my favorites on
to my backup disk. I'm preparing myself for a reinstall in a few weeks and
just thought I'd do an early backup and then do one more at month's end.

While trying to unsuccessfully move my favorites, I lost them. God knows
where they went. Fortunately they were backed up last month, so the bulk of
painstaking favorite organization was saved.

I've also just ordered Office 2003 (upgrading from office 2000), I'm waiting
on the Windows XP SP 2, and I will be attempting to expand my C drive with
Partition Magic. So once I get all this done, after my hair has been
entirely pulled out, I don't want to start screwing things up again with
these themes. And I really want the variety because I get really bored with
the same desktop (today screen) day after day.

OK ... This was a drawn out question, but you seem to know more about this
stuff than I do! I could use your help.

Thanks!

Janet

More about : question ace

Anonymous
August 9, 2004 12:24:37 AM

I'm flattered ;)

Okay, here's a few things that may help you.
In case you don't have it already; grab a copy of PocketRAR:
http://www.freewareppc.com/utilities/pocketrar.shtml
it can be a big help with unpacking files :)
PocketRAR works similar to the built-in Explorer, and lets
you work with ZIP and RAR files as if they were folders.

On this page is a small guide on installing themes for devices
running Pocket PC 2002, which also works for 2003:
http://www.pdagold.com/themes/message.asp?ID=1

And here:
http://www.pocketpcthemes.com/faq.shtm#2
You can find some information on how to install themes using ActiveSync.

In addition to both websites, here's how I manage themes on my 5550:

1. I extract any themes I have that are compressed in ZIP/RAR format;
2. I select all new themes, and cut these;
3. On my PPC I go into My Documents;
4. I create a new folder called 'Themes'
5. I paste all my new .tsk files into the new folder
And then, I either:
6. Tap one of the theme files;
Or:
7. Go into Start|Settings|Today and change the theme from there.

Hope it helps!

~S.

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.

ACE!

I am printing your e-mail, saving it on a zip disk for future reference, and
e-mailing it to myself so that I can start checking out the links and
instructions you provided.

I figured out how to save my favorites again before I do my reinstall. I
copied them directly from the C drive (not windows explorer) onto the
desktop and then sent them to the CD from there. My problems seems to be in
my "janet" user setting in windows explorer. If I can stay out of there, I
should be able to survive until I get this massive rehaul project completed.

THANK YOU and I will contact you again when I need more help. (If that's OK
with you!) :-)

Janet

"ACE!!!" <ace_rules_bbs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm flattered ;)
>
> Okay, here's a few things that may help you.
> In case you don't have it already; grab a copy of PocketRAR:
> http://www.freewareppc.com/utilities/pocketrar.shtml
> it can be a big help with unpacking files :)
> PocketRAR works similar to the built-in Explorer, and lets
> you work with ZIP and RAR files as if they were folders.
>
> On this page is a small guide on installing themes for devices
> running Pocket PC 2002, which also works for 2003:
> http://www.pdagold.com/themes/message.asp?ID=1
>
> And here:
> http://www.pocketpcthemes.com/faq.shtm#2
> You can find some information on how to install themes using ActiveSync.
>

> In addition to both websites, here's how I manage themes on my 5550:
>
> 1. I extract any themes I have that are compressed in ZIP/RAR format;
> 2. I select all new themes, and cut these;
> 3. On my PPC I go into My Documents;
> 4. I create a new folder called 'Themes'
> 5. I paste all my new .tsk files into the new folder
> And then, I either:
> 6. Tap one of the theme files;
> Or:
> 7. Go into Start|Settings|Today and change the theme from there.
>

> Hope it helps!
>

> ~S.
>

> "JD" <news@news.com> wrote in
>
> > Hi Ace,
> >
> > I have a question for you!
> >
> > Do you have a URL that really explains how to download and install today
> > screen themes?
> >
> > I've got all these zip file themes in my PDA that won't open. Along the
> > way of moving these zip files around, from my "workhorse" user to my
> > "Axim" user, somehow I did something that prevented me from copying my
> > favorites on to my backup disk. I'm preparing myself for a reinstall in
> > a few weeks and just thought I'd do an early backup and then do one more
> > at month's end.
> >
> > While trying to unsuccessfully move my favorites, I lost them. God knows
> > where they went. Fortunately they were backed up last month, so the bulk
> > of painstaking favorite organization was saved.
> >
> > I've also just ordered Office 2003 (upgrading from office 2000), I'm
> > waiting on the Windows XP SP 2, and I will be attempting to expand my C
> > drive with Partition Magic. So once I get all this done, after my hair
> > has been entirely pulled out, I don't want to start screwing things up
> > again with these themes. And I really want the variety because I get
> > really bored with the same desktop (today screen) day after day.
> >
> > OK ... This was a drawn out question, but you seem to know more about
> > this stuff than I do! I could use your help.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Janet
> >

> --
> ======================
> ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.
> OS. Osaris / Psion 5mx
> iPAQ 5550 / Nokia 6310
> HTTP://www.xarane.com
> ======================
August 9, 2004 1:41:36 AM

You're welcome, glad you could figure out the favorites part
on the desktop as well. user accounts can be a pain! (said the
'I lost 50 megs of business email' guy ;)
and you're always welcome to come back with any questions you
might have. Good luck! :)

~S.

--
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.

<< (said the 'I lost 50 megs of business email' guy ;) >>

OUCH! :-(

I'm sure you'll never forget that moment of discovery! Yikes ...

Have a great rest of the day, Ace!

Your pocket pc friend,

Janet

!