Mostly a pavilion a320n blank screen/blinking power button

Last night it worked great, I left it on like I have for over a year
and this morning when I power up screen stays blank (not even a BIOS
screen) monitor power light blinks green and the tower power button
blinks also. I tried a different power supply, hard drive, video card
and I removed memory modules one at a time to check for a memory
problem with no results. I've unplugged and reseated everything short
of the processor and it also doesn't beep when I start it. Anyone have
any
suggestions? Your help would be much appreciated thanks! :)
5 answers Last reply
More about mostly pavilion a320n blank screen blinking power button

    Nicodimus wrote:
    > Last night it worked great, I left it on like I have for over a year
    > and this morning when I power up screen stays blank (not even a BIOS
    > screen) monitor power light blinks green and the tower power button
    > blinks also. I tried a different power supply, hard drive, video card
    > and I removed memory modules one at a time to check for a memory
    > problem with no results. I've unplugged and reseated everything short
    > of the processor and it also doesn't beep when I start it. Anyone have
    > any
    > suggestions? Your help would be much appreciated thanks! :)

    Update: for some reason the power light stopped blinking and stays on
    constant now but I still have a blank screen. When I unplug the
    monitor I get the self check message then I reattached the cable and it
    stays green for a few seconds then the power button on the monitor goes
    back to blinking.

    On 28 Sep 2005 12:59:21 -0700, "Nicodimus"
    <fernando.martinez@cannon.af.mil> wrote:

    >Nicodimus wrote:
    >> Last night it worked great, I left it on like I have for over a year
    >> and this morning when I power up screen stays blank (not even a BIOS
    >> screen) monitor power light blinks green and the tower power button
    >> blinks also. I tried a different power supply, hard drive, video card
    >> and I removed memory modules one at a time to check for a memory
    >> problem with no results. I've unplugged and reseated everything short
    >> of the processor and it also doesn't beep when I start it. Anyone have
    >> any
    >> suggestions? Your help would be much appreciated thanks! :)
    >
    >Update: for some reason the power light stopped blinking and stays on
    >constant now but I still have a blank screen. When I unplug the
    >monitor I get the self check message then I reattached the cable and it
    >stays green for a few seconds then the power button on the monitor goes
    >back to blinking.

    Yours is a classic failure-to-POST scenario. Try all the
    usual things, like unplugging AC for a few minutes, clearing
    CMOS, checking battery and power supply voltages with a
    multimeter. Inspect cables, cards, plugs, etc, especially
    if the system had been moved (or work done within) recently.

    I realize you wrote that you had unplugged and reseated,
    which is good, but I would briefly look again just in case
    you had missed something, while examining the motherboard
    for failed capacitors. Check whether all fans work, as all
    should be spinning in this on-but-not-posting situation.

    It might not hurt to tell us a bit more about the system
    than merely the model #.

    Sorry, I forgot to input them in my first post. :) I inspected all the
    capacitors but couldn't see any that were burned or deformed. Fans are
    working, reseated all cables and re-cleared CMOS with no results. What
    are the usual culprits of a failure-to-post situation? I had not been
    moved recently and was working a few hours prior to melt-down so I can
    only assume that it is a mobo problem...any takers?

    Motherboard Description

    Manufacturer's name - ASUS A7N8X-LA
    HP/Compaq name - Explorer 2

    Motherboard Supplier
    ASUS

    System BIOS Supplier
    ASUS/AMI

    Form Factor
    uATX

    Processor Brand
    AMD

    Processor Socket Type
    Socket A (PGA462)

    Processor Family
    AthlonXP 2.08

    Processor FSB Frequency
    266/333 MHz

    Chipset Name
    NVIDIA nForce2

    Chipset 'Northbridge', Revision/Stepping
    IGP, A03

    Chipset 'Southbridge', Revision/Stepping
    MPC2, A04

    Super I/O, Revision/Stepping
    ITE, 8712F-A

    Flash BIOS Device
    4 Mbit

    Memory Type
    DDR

    Memory Speed
    PC2700/PC2100

    Memory Sockets
    2DDR DIMM (184-pin)

    Maximum Memory
    2 GB (PC manufacturer's maximum memory may differ)

    Graphics Supplier
    NVIDIA nForce2

    Graphics Configuration
    On-Board

    Onboard Graphics Memory
    UMA up to 128 MB

    Graphics Connector
    AGP 8X

    TV-Out Device
    No

    TV-Out Configuration
    No

    Audio
    AC'97 On-Board

    AC'97 CODEC Device
    Realtek ALC650

    Audio Jacks
    Microphone, Line-In, Line-Out, Speaker, MIDI/Game

    External Audio Connectors
    Microphone, Line-In

    Ethernet 10/100 LAN Supplier
    Realtek 8201BL

    Ethernet Configuration
    Integrated, On-Board

    IDE UDMA Modes
    ATA-133/100/66/33

    Expansion Slots
    AGP 8X, Three PCI

    USB Ports
    Six USB 2.0 (2 front, 4 back)

    External Ports
    One Serial, One Parallel, One Floppy, PS/2 Keyboard, PS/2 Mouse, One
    1394 (front)

    Serial Port Front Chassis Option
    No

    Sorry, I forgot to input them in my first post. :) I inspected all the

    capacitors but couldn't see any that were burned or deformed. Fans are

    working, reseated all cables and re-cleared CMOS with no results. What

    are the usual culprits of a failure-to-post situation? It had not been

    moved recently and was working a few hours prior to melt-down so I can
    only assume that it is a mobo problem...any takers?

    Motherboard Description

    Manufacturer's name - ASUS A7N8X-LA
    HP/Compaq name - Explorer 2

    Motherboard Supplier
    ASUS

    System BIOS Supplier
    ASUS/AMI

    Form Factor
    uATX

    Processor Brand
    AMD

    Processor Socket Type
    Socket A (PGA462)

    Processor Family
    AthlonXP 2.08

    Processor FSB Frequency
    266 MHz

    Chipset Name
    NVIDIA nForce2

    Chipset 'Northbridge', Revision/Stepping
    IGP, A03

    Chipset 'Southbridge', Revision/Stepping
    MPC2, A04

    Super I/O, Revision/Stepping
    ITE, 8712F-A

    Flash BIOS Device
    4 Mbit

    Memory Type
    DDR

    Memory Speed
    PC2700/ 256mb

[...]

    On 29 Sep 2005 09:59:30 -0700, "Nicodimus"
    <fernando.martinez@cannon.af.mil> wrote:

    >Sorry, I forgot to input them in my first post. :) I inspected all the
    >capacitors but couldn't see any that were burned or deformed. Fans are
    >working, reseated all cables and re-cleared CMOS with no results. What
    >are the usual culprits of a failure-to-post situation?

    Bad power supply, motherboard, battery, video card...
    "maybe" in that order.

    > I had not been
    >moved recently and was working a few hours prior to melt-down so I can
    >only assume that it is a mobo problem...any takers?
    >
    >Motherboard Description
    >
    >Manufacturer's name - ASUS A7N8X-LA
    >HP/Compaq name - Explorer 2

    Try clearing CMOS (again).
    Does the system have a floppy drive?
    Some seem to have a lost-bios syndrome and if you had a
    floppy drive you might then see it trying ot acess it to
    automatically reflash it's bios.

    Not sure about the integrated video but IF it had been set
    to use a PCI card (or by default in the bios?) then putting
    in a PCI video card might result in screen output- you could
    watch it tell you that the bios is bad, _IF_ that is the
    problem (which it may easily not be, I mention it only
    because i happen to have the non-integrated video version of
    same board with that problem.

Homebuilt Power Systems