Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Mostly a pavilion a320n blank screen/blinking power button

Last response: in Systems
Share
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 28, 2005 2:48:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

Last night it worked great, I left it on like I have for over a year
and this morning when I power up screen stays blank (not even a BIOS
screen) monitor power light blinks green and the tower power button
blinks also. I tried a different power supply, hard drive, video card
and I removed memory modules one at a time to check for a memory
problem with no results. I've unplugged and reseated everything short
of the processor and it also doesn't beep when I start it. Anyone have
any
suggestions? Your help would be much appreciated thanks! :) 
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 28, 2005 4:59:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

Nicodimus wrote:
> Last night it worked great, I left it on like I have for over a year
> and this morning when I power up screen stays blank (not even a BIOS
> screen) monitor power light blinks green and the tower power button
> blinks also. I tried a different power supply, hard drive, video card
> and I removed memory modules one at a time to check for a memory
> problem with no results. I've unplugged and reseated everything short
> of the processor and it also doesn't beep when I start it. Anyone have
> any
> suggestions? Your help would be much appreciated thanks! :) 

Update: for some reason the power light stopped blinking and stays on
constant now but I still have a blank screen. When I unplug the
monitor I get the self check message then I reattached the cable and it
stays green for a few seconds then the power button on the monitor goes
back to blinking.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 29, 2005 12:50:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

On 28 Sep 2005 12:59:21 -0700, "Nicodimus"
<fernando.martinez@cannon.af.mil> wrote:

>
>Nicodimus wrote:
>> Last night it worked great, I left it on like I have for over a year
>> and this morning when I power up screen stays blank (not even a BIOS
>> screen) monitor power light blinks green and the tower power button
>> blinks also. I tried a different power supply, hard drive, video card
>> and I removed memory modules one at a time to check for a memory
>> problem with no results. I've unplugged and reseated everything short
>> of the processor and it also doesn't beep when I start it. Anyone have
>> any
>> suggestions? Your help would be much appreciated thanks! :) 
>
>Update: for some reason the power light stopped blinking and stays on
>constant now but I still have a blank screen. When I unplug the
>monitor I get the self check message then I reattached the cable and it
>stays green for a few seconds then the power button on the monitor goes
>back to blinking.


Yours is a classic failure-to-POST scenario. Try all the
usual things, like unplugging AC for a few minutes, clearing
CMOS, checking battery and power supply voltages with a
multimeter. Inspect cables, cards, plugs, etc, especially
if the system had been moved (or work done within) recently.

I realize you wrote that you had unplugged and reseated,
which is good, but I would briefly look again just in case
you had missed something, while examining the motherboard
for failed capacitors. Check whether all fans work, as all
should be spinning in this on-but-not-posting situation.

It might not hurt to tell us a bit more about the system
than merely the model #.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 29, 2005 1:59:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

Sorry, I forgot to input them in my first post. :)  I inspected all the
capacitors but couldn't see any that were burned or deformed. Fans are
working, reseated all cables and re-cleared CMOS with no results. What
are the usual culprits of a failure-to-post situation? I had not been
moved recently and was working a few hours prior to melt-down so I can
only assume that it is a mobo problem...any takers?

Motherboard Description

Manufacturer's name - ASUS A7N8X-LA
HP/Compaq name - Explorer 2


Motherboard Supplier
ASUS

System BIOS Supplier
ASUS/AMI

Form Factor
uATX

Processor Brand
AMD

Processor Socket Type
Socket A (PGA462)

Processor Family
AthlonXP 2.08

Processor FSB Frequency
266/333 MHz

Chipset Name
NVIDIA nForce2

Chipset 'Northbridge', Revision/Stepping
IGP, A03

Chipset 'Southbridge', Revision/Stepping
MPC2, A04

Super I/O, Revision/Stepping
ITE, 8712F-A

Flash BIOS Device
4 Mbit

Memory Type
DDR

Memory Speed
PC2700/PC2100

Memory Sockets
2DDR DIMM (184-pin)

Maximum Memory
2 GB (PC manufacturer's maximum memory may differ)

Graphics Supplier
NVIDIA nForce2

Graphics Configuration
On-Board

Onboard Graphics Memory
UMA up to 128 MB

Graphics Connector
AGP 8X

TV-Out Device
No

TV-Out Configuration
No

Audio
AC'97 On-Board

AC'97 CODEC Device
Realtek ALC650

Audio Jacks
Microphone, Line-In, Line-Out, Speaker, MIDI/Game

External Audio Connectors
Microphone, Line-In

Ethernet 10/100 LAN Supplier
Realtek 8201BL

Ethernet Configuration
Integrated, On-Board

IDE UDMA Modes
ATA-133/100/66/33

Expansion Slots
AGP 8X, Three PCI

USB Ports
Six USB 2.0 (2 front, 4 back)

External Ports
One Serial, One Parallel, One Floppy, PS/2 Keyboard, PS/2 Mouse, One
1394 (front)

Serial Port Front Chassis Option
No
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 29, 2005 2:04:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

Sorry, I forgot to input them in my first post. :)  I inspected all the

capacitors but couldn't see any that were burned or deformed. Fans are

working, reseated all cables and re-cleared CMOS with no results. What

are the usual culprits of a failure-to-post situation? It had not been

moved recently and was working a few hours prior to melt-down so I can
only assume that it is a mobo problem...any takers?


Motherboard Description


Manufacturer's name - ASUS A7N8X-LA
HP/Compaq name - Explorer 2


Motherboard Supplier
ASUS


System BIOS Supplier
ASUS/AMI


Form Factor
uATX


Processor Brand
AMD


Processor Socket Type
Socket A (PGA462)


Processor Family
AthlonXP 2.08


Processor FSB Frequency
266 MHz


Chipset Name
NVIDIA nForce2


Chipset 'Northbridge', Revision/Stepping
IGP, A03


Chipset 'Southbridge', Revision/Stepping
MPC2, A04


Super I/O, Revision/Stepping
ITE, 8712F-A


Flash BIOS Device
4 Mbit


Memory Type
DDR


Memory Speed
PC2700/ 256mb


Memory Sockets
2DDR DIMM (184-pin)


Maximum Memory
2 GB (PC manufacturer's maximum memory may differ)


Graphics Supplier
NVIDIA nForce2


Graphics Configuration
On-Board


Onboard Graphics Memory
UMA up to 128 MB


Graphics Connector
AGP 8X


TV-Out Device
No


TV-Out Configuration
No


Audio
AC'97 On-Board


AC'97 CODEC Device
Realtek ALC650


Audio Jacks
Microphone, Line-In, Line-Out, Speaker, MIDI/Game


External Audio Connectors
Microphone, Line-In


Ethernet 10/100 LAN Supplier
Realtek 8201BL


Ethernet Configuration
Integrated, On-Board


IDE UDMA Modes
ATA-133/100/66/33


Expansion Slots
AGP 8X, Three PCI


USB Ports
Six USB 2.0 (2 front, 4 back)


External Ports
One Serial, One Parallel, One Floppy, PS/2 Keyboard, PS/2 Mouse, One
1394 (front)


Serial Port Front Chassis Option
No
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 30, 2005 3:27:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

On 29 Sep 2005 09:59:30 -0700, "Nicodimus"
<fernando.martinez@cannon.af.mil> wrote:

>Sorry, I forgot to input them in my first post. :)  I inspected all the
>capacitors but couldn't see any that were burned or deformed. Fans are
>working, reseated all cables and re-cleared CMOS with no results. What
>are the usual culprits of a failure-to-post situation?

Bad power supply, motherboard, battery, video card...
"maybe" in that order.


> I had not been
>moved recently and was working a few hours prior to melt-down so I can
>only assume that it is a mobo problem...any takers?
>
>Motherboard Description
>
>Manufacturer's name - ASUS A7N8X-LA
>HP/Compaq name - Explorer 2
>

Try clearing CMOS (again).
Does the system have a floppy drive?
Some seem to have a lost-bios syndrome and if you had a
floppy drive you might then see it trying ot acess it to
automatically reflash it's bios.

Not sure about the integrated video but IF it had been set
to use a PCI card (or by default in the bios?) then putting
in a PCI video card might result in screen output- you could
watch it tell you that the bios is bad, _IF_ that is the
problem (which it may easily not be, I mention it only
because i happen to have the non-integrated video version of
same board with that problem.
!