what solvent for pigmented ink?

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

I have seen many posts suggesting solvents for dye-based inks, but
none specifically for pigmented inks such as the Canon black. What
solvent can be used to clean the BCI-3eBK black ink portion of the
printhead?

I can't speak for Canon specifically. However, for Epson pigmented inks
(Both Durabrite and Ultrachrome, a mixture of ammoniated water of
ammoniated window cleaner (which has glycols in it) plus some rubbing
alcohol is effective. I have tested these inks with these cleaning
agents outside of the printer and they are effective with both wet and
dry inks.

Art

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 08:34:31 GMT, Arthur Entlich <artistic@telus.net>
wrote:

>I can't speak for Canon specifically. However, for Epson pigmented inks
>(Both Durabrite and Ultrachrome, a mixture of ammoniated water of
>ammoniated window cleaner (which has glycols in it) plus some rubbing
>alcohol is effective. I have tested these inks with these cleaning
>agents outside of the printer and they are effective with both wet and
>dry inks.

What ratio off ammoniated window cleaner to rubbing alcohol?

Will this also work for 'regular' dye inks?

Winey wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 08:34:31 GMT, Arthur Entlich <artistic@telus.net>
> wrote:
>

>>I can't speak for Canon specifically. However, for Epson pigmented inks
>>(Both Durabrite and Ultrachrome, a mixture of ammoniated water of
>>ammoniated window cleaner (which has glycols in it) plus some rubbing
>>alcohol is effective. I have tested these inks with these cleaning
>>agents outside of the printer and they are effective with both wet and
>>dry inks.

Different inks work better with different ratios. I found the Durabrite
and Ultrachtrome dissolve better with higher alcohol ratios.

For dye inks I suggest 2 parts isopropyl to 8 parts ammoniated window
cleaner

For pigmented inks from Epson OEM, you can double the amount of alcohol,
such as 4 parts isopropyl to 6 parts window cleaner.

However, it is not absolutely critical. Standard isopropyl alcohol
comes in 70% and 99%. The rest is usually just water. Since the 70% is
so much cheaper in some areas, I recommend using it.

Art