Upgrade or New System?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned (More info?)

I use my PC for many things ranging from documents and
games to graphics and publishing. Hardware I want to
upgrade:
*XP1800 (on an Asus A7V333 using an Enermax 300W PSU)
*Geforce 3 Ti200

I prefer not to spend more than $250 on upgrades. Can
I upgrade with significant results (not a mere
difference of a few seconds loading or 10 FPS in a
game) or should I wait another year and build an
Athlon 64 system with better everything?

A B wrote:
> I use my PC for many things ranging from documents and
> games to graphics and publishing. Hardware I want to
> upgrade:
> *XP1800 (on an Asus A7V333 using an Enermax 300W PSU)
> *Geforce 3 Ti200
>
> I prefer not to spend more than $250 on upgrades. Can
> I upgrade with significant results (not a mere
> difference of a few seconds loading or 10 FPS in a
> game) or should I wait another year and build an
> Athlon 64 system with better everything?
If you do really serious gaming, or rendering of graphics, you could
wait and save for a 64 bit system, and the max amount of RAM you could
afford.

Otherwise, the 32bit systems are just fine, for now, for the majority of
us. (I run 26 of my systems on GNU/Linux - Debian, which is virus/worm
proof, and, quite FAST!). http://knopper.net/knoppix

But, then, I have over 28 systems here, from a Packard Bell SC300
(386-20) to an AMD 2000, 512MbRAM, 160Gb hard drive, ATI Radeo 9600 AGP
video. I rarely upgrade any system, as the new cases,
(including an AMD certified PSU, only cost ~$38 to ~$59), and the
mainboard usually has to be a new one, (often, requiring higher PSU
power!) to cope with all of the new technology of the CPU, peripherals,
and, devices.

jk

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned (More info?)

You can get an Athlon 64 3200+ and a motherboard for it
for around $250. Depending on what ram you have now,
you might have to get new ram though. That would be
a great upgrade from an Athlon XP1800+. Since you
video card is not such a heavy power consumer, your
current power supply might be okay, although ideally
one that is at least 350 watts should be used.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2065&p=1

A B wrote:

> I use my PC for many things ranging from documents and
> games to graphics and publishing. Hardware I want to
> upgrade:
> *XP1800 (on an Asus A7V333 using an Enermax 300W PSU)
> *Geforce 3 Ti200
>
> I prefer not to spend more than $250 on upgrades. Can
> I upgrade with significant results (not a mere
> difference of a few seconds loading or 10 FPS in a
> game) or should I wait another year and build an
> Athlon 64 system with better everything?

jk

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned (More info?)

Oops. I meant an Athlon 64 3000+.