Why can't I get WPA to work with linkysy router and linksy..

The connection works without encryption. Once WPA-PSK is turn on the client and
the router connect, exchange data(seems to be attempting to authenticate) and
then fails.

It seems to be the 802.1x part I haven't setup correctly. What is the process
for WPA? Has my approach must be too simplistic(see below) and I missed a step.

1) Linksys Router befw11s4 v4 upgrade to the latest firmware (152.02), WPA-PSK
enable, TKIP enabled, shared key type in, 3600 for group key renewal.
2) Winxp upgrade for WPA supplicant. WPA_PSK selected from wireless network
properties. Same shared-key typed in to wireless network properties.
3) Linksys WUSB11 v2.8 (driver 4.10.0.430), besides upgraded the driver, made no
settings changes.

Any ideas on how to fix this would be appreciated.

Colin
2 answers Last reply
More about work linkysy router linksy

    what about the client?
    is it 802.11a/b/g?
    is the linksys router? It probably is

    Are there any known incompatabilities with the router and the w/nic? Maybe
    try and look for that at the linksys webpage?
    can either switch between a/b mode manually and have not been set the same?

    Cheers

    "Colin" wrote:

    > The connection works without encryption. Once WPA-PSK is turn on the client and
    > the router connect, exchange data(seems to be attempting to authenticate) and
    > then fails.
    >
    > It seems to be the 802.1x part I haven't setup correctly. What is the process
    > for WPA? Has my approach must be too simplistic(see below) and I missed a step.
    >
    > 1) Linksys Router befw11s4 v4 upgrade to the latest firmware (152.02), WPA-PSK
    > enable, TKIP enabled, shared key type in, 3600 for group key renewal.
    > 2) Winxp upgrade for WPA supplicant. WPA_PSK selected from wireless network
    > properties. Same shared-key typed in to wireless network properties.
    > 3) Linksys WUSB11 v2.8 (driver 4.10.0.430), besides upgraded the driver, made no
    > settings changes.
    >
    > Any ideas on how to fix this would be appreciated.
    >
    > Colin

    On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 10:22:02 -0700, "Whitecrane"
    <Whitecrane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >what about the client?
    >is it 802.11a/b/g?
    802.11b

    >is the linksys router? It probably is
    Yep 802.11b

    >Are there any known incompatabilities with the router and the w/nic? Maybe
    >try and look for that at the linksys webpage?
    I've looked there (even ran "netcheck" under WEP with no errors which is expect
    if you can connect) and goole/MS etc - all the indications are that this is easy
    - password on the router and passwor don the client - but its not working. I've
    reverted to WEP.

    >can either switch between a/b mode manually and have not been set the same?
    No, its b always

    I think this has something to do with the 802.1x certifcate business but can't
    figure that out yet.

    >Cheers

    Thanks for the interest
    Colin

    >"Colin" wrote:
    >
    >> The connection works without encryption. Once WPA-PSK is turn on the client and
    >> the router connect, exchange data(seems to be attempting to authenticate) and
    >> then fails.
    >>
    >> It seems to be the 802.1x part I haven't setup correctly. What is the process
    >> for WPA? Has my approach must be too simplistic(see below) and I missed a step.
    >>
    >> 1) Linksys Router befw11s4 v4 upgrade to the latest firmware (152.02), WPA-PSK
    >> enable, TKIP enabled, shared key type in, 3600 for group key renewal.
    >> 2) Winxp upgrade for WPA supplicant. WPA_PSK selected from wireless network
    >> properties. Same shared-key typed in to wireless network properties.
    >> 3) Linksys WUSB11 v2.8 (driver 4.10.0.430), besides upgraded the driver, made no
    >> settings changes.
    >>
    >> Any ideas on how to fix this would be appreciated.
    >>
    >> Colin

Routers Connection Wireless Networking