Rumor: Seagate May Acquire OCZ; Stocks Soar

Status
Not open for further replies.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Would give OCZ access to substantial funding of course.
Use of Segate's distribution channels, manufacturing expansion and resulting increased sales may lead to lower prices.

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
[citation][nom]leo2kp[/nom]Not sure what to think about this. Didn't realize OCZ was in need of a buyer or would even want something like this. Someone explain this to me![/citation] OCZ's board could reject this unsolicited offer if the offered price isn't view as sufficient to be in the best interest of the shareholders. But, this is what is normally called a takeover. In principle, anybody with enough capital could just buy 50%+1 share (or whatever according to corp. gov. rules) and takeover the board of directors and replace the company's management. Though generally, its the case that a purchasing company will swap the disappearing stock in exchange for the purchaser's stock by the consent of the company's governing board or through a shareholder's referendum. In this case, I imagine the board will take a premium excess in Seagate stock to offset the faster growing potential of the OCZ stock, which in the short term benefits share holders and leads people buying up stock in the run up to such a merger, hence the jump in the OCZ stock price.

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
The last thing we need is homogenization of the solid state storage market to happen. As things stand now prices are low because there are so many manufacturers competing against each other.

I really don't want to see the SSD market turn into another Seagate vs. Western Digital.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
seagate and western digital are way behind in the SSD market. Not surprising that one is jumping to buy up a SSD manufacturer. They pretty much have to, or get left behind and eventually put under. I'm just surprised that WD hasn't made the move first.

PS: might wanna look into buying stocks of other SSD manufacturers, like Kingston, Sandisk, Crucial...etc.

hannibal

Distinguished
Well it would allso allow some new ssd upgraded hybrid drives with bigger ssd part?... But hard to say what would happen to competition... There are so many players in SSD market that I don't think that this would affect SSD prices. OCZ is not the most aggressive in that front (allthough it have had guite competative prices). But if if we ever get in the same situation that is in HD segment (only two players) there is allways a posibility that prices can climp up...

pfdman

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
Not sure that Western Digital needs to buy an SSD company right now. Remember that they just closed on their purchase of Hitachi's drive business and along with that came Hitachi's SSD products. They currently make some of the best SSDs in the enterprise market.

http://www.hgst.com/solid-state-drives/

With a little engineering work they should be able to change the interface from a SAS interface to a SATA interface and have a pretty good desktop/laptop SSD in their lineup.

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
two favourite companies but i don't think they should merge (or OCZ taken over).

OCZ is better off running as a separate company then merging with seagate, as saagate will just slow down progress and innovation.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]teh_chem[/nom]Curious to see what happens to the stock price if this rumor isn't backed by fact.[/citation]
It's likely the stock will dive if the rumor turns out to be false....

[citation][nom]s3anister[/nom]The last thing we need is homogenization of the solid state storage market to happen. As things stand now prices are low because there are so many manufacturers competing against each other.I really don't want to see the SSD market turn into another Seagate vs. Western Digital.[/citation]
True, but OCZ is an interesting and innovative company, I would love to see what would come if they had some real money to play with on research. This is not a consolidation as Seagate does not have an SSD branch yet, but I am with you... the last thing I would want to see is Seagate vs Corsair/Intel/Crucial... that would be as bad as things are now in the HDD market where everyone has recovered, and yet they are all pacing with eachother on price so that they all make a killing.
Keep in mind though that Seagate has been the first to lower prices after the floods, so they are not entirely evil.

[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]Personally, I do not want to see this happen.Last time Seagate bought another storage device manufacturer (SamSung HDD division)the quality got worse and now samsung's 3 Year warranty has dropped to just 1[/citation]
Sammy's quality was going to go down regardless as they were hit bad by the flood. While they were down Seagate bought them up, it was just good business. Sammy's quality has sense returned to almost what it use to be, while their warranty will go back up after they are sure all the kinks are out of their manufacturing process. Keep in mind that for a little while there ALL major HDD manufacturers when down to 1 year warranty on consumer drives, and where 3-5 years use to be normal, we are now only seeing 2-3 year warranties.

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
[citation][nom]caedenv[/nom]True, but OCZ is an interesting and innovative company, I would love to see what would come if they had some real money to play with on research. This is not a consolidation as Seagate does not have an SSD branch yet, but I am with you... the last thing I would want to see is Seagate vs Corsair/Intel/Crucial... that would be as bad as things are now in the HDD market where everyone has recovered, and yet they are all pacing with eachother on price so that they all make a killing.Keep in mind though that Seagate has been the first to lower prices after the floods, so they are not entirely evil.[/citation]
I agree completely with the sentiment of having more funds for R&D, I would love to see the result of it.

Anyway, what I'm replying to is the reduction of price after the floods. Seagate/WD would have had to do that at some point regardless; they would face a price fixing class-action lawsuit if they didn't.

[citation][nom]urban legend[/nom]OCZ quality will go back up I hope and maybe fix the bugs with the Vertex series in the process.I wish them luck.[/citation]
What the hell are you talking about?
I barely had any problem with them on multiple kind of components. Their SSD are the ebst on the market period. Okay, I admit the fuzz with Vertex 3, but I Vertex 4 is already a prove they are in a field of their own.

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]urban legend[/nom]OCZ quality will go back up I hope and maybe fix the bugs with the Vertex series in the process.I wish them luck.[/citation]
We are talking about seagate, and you think the quality will go up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS