HELP - Brother TCP/IP print problem in XP SP2

The oddest thing happened...

I upgraded to XP SP2 and everything went fine during install.

I have completely disabled the SP2 built-in firewall (via
the security center AND administration/services).

Now, I could print ok to my Brother HL-1670N (built-in
NC-4100h print server) using TCP/IP port and PCL and
PS (Br-Script3 emulated) drivers, BEFORE I upgraded.

Now after sp2 the documents from my printer queu don't
go anywhere. The default printer queue just states
"Error - Printing" and the documents stay in the queu.

The printer itself does not indicate that it is receiving
a single bit of data (it usually flashes when receiving,
now it doesn't).

What I have tried the following for debugging:

- ping my printer: OK
- print from another computer: ok
- run all printer self tests and test pages (from printer): ok
- no IP address conflicts: ok
- tried making a new TCP/IP port in XP to print to: ok
- tried making a new default printer to print to: ok
- accessing printer via BRAdmin: OK (no problems)
- accessing printer via www-browser: OK (no problems)
- going through the printer menus and checking that
tcp/ip is enabled: Ok
- Printing is not paused: check
- Printer is online (both as a physical device and as XP printer): check
- paused/resumed and offlined/again onlined all printers in XP: check
- tried both LPR and NT EMF 1.008 datatypes in the Port config
- tested my computer for local network and internet access: check

This is most baffling. I can access the printer from
my computer in almost anyway, except send print jobs
from my computer to the printer.

I'm at loss, after having scoured Brother and MS knowledgebases
(and printer troubleshooters).

Does anybody have any wild suggestions sans re-instaling XP
from scratch?

All help would be appreciated.

--
Pasi Keinänen
"God made the integers, all else is the work of man." Kronecker, Leopold

From Alan Morris od the MSFT Printung Team:
There is a qfe available for this. It's in tcpip.sys.

Programs that connect to IP addresses that are in the loopback address range
may not work as you expect in Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;884020

www.coribright.com

"Pasi Keinänen" <pasi.keinanen@surfeu.fi.spamblock.remove.this> wrote in
message news:Xns9552DBF611CBpkatsurfeufi@195.197.54.116...
> The oddest thing happened...
>
> I upgraded to XP SP2 and everything went fine during install.
>
> I have completely disabled the SP2 built-in firewall (via
> the security center AND administration/services).
>
> Now, I could print ok to my Brother HL-1670N (built-in
> NC-4100h print server) using TCP/IP port and PCL and
> PS (Br-Script3 emulated) drivers, BEFORE I upgraded.
>
> Now after sp2 the documents from my printer queu don't
> go anywhere. The default printer queue just states
> "Error - Printing" and the documents stay in the queu.
>
> The printer itself does not indicate that it is receiving
> a single bit of data (it usually flashes when receiving,
> now it doesn't).
>
> What I have tried the following for debugging:
>
> - ping my printer: OK
> - print from another computer: ok
> - run all printer self tests and test pages (from printer): ok
> - no IP address conflicts: ok
> - tried making a new TCP/IP port in XP to print to: ok
> - tried making a new default printer to print to: ok
> - accessing printer via BRAdmin: OK (no problems)
> - accessing printer via www-browser: OK (no problems)
> - going through the printer menus and checking that
> tcp/ip is enabled: Ok
> - Printing is not paused: check
> - Printer is online (both as a physical device and as XP printer): check
> - paused/resumed and offlined/again onlined all printers in XP: check
> - tried both LPR and NT EMF 1.008 datatypes in the Port config
> - tested my computer for local network and internet access: check
>
> This is most baffling. I can access the printer from
> my computer in almost anyway, except send print jobs
> from my computer to the printer.
>
> I'm at loss, after having scoured Brother and MS knowledgebases
> (and printer troubleshooters).
>
> Does anybody have any wild suggestions sans re-instaling XP
> from scratch?
>
> All help would be appreciated.
>

> --
> Pasi Keinänen
> "God made the integers, all else is the work of man." Kronecker, Leopold

I tried the fixed TCPIP.SYS, but it didn't fix my problems.

Something else is amiss, I just can't figure out what.

Guess I need to uninstall SP2.