Loose Internet with WEP or WPA

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
June 14, 2005 9:36:09 AM

I have a Netgear DG834GT ADSL wireless modem/router. I am trying to connect
it to a Toshiba Tablet PC with Netgear 511T wireless card. With an open
protocol everything works fine, but the moment I put in any encryption either
WEP or WPA I loose the Internet connection on the Tablet PC although it gets
an IP address (starting with 192.168...) and shows an excellent wireless
connection. The router's connected devices list does not show the Tablet PC,
despite the excellent connection status on the Tablet PC. Once they are
connected with a cable, even with encryption everything works fine and it
also shows up on the router's connected devices status.

Any help, hint, advice most appreciated. I have also asked the question to
Netgear, but response is awaited.

More about : loose internet wep wpa

June 14, 2005 4:57:49 PM

I don't know much about WPA, but with WEP you have to have everything the
same on the router and computer. Use the same word to generate the keys,
make sure you are using the same key number, and make sure you have it
enabled on both devices. Do you know if you are using the Windows Wireless
controller or the one for your wireless card? You may be putting the
settings in your card's controller when Windows is in charge.

The wired connection doesn't use the encryption so it is not a factor.

Clark

"Navile" <Navile@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 254708F-0275-4EBD-A769-2587C07A74FE@microsoft.com...
>I have a Netgear DG834GT ADSL wireless modem/router. I am trying to connect
> it to a Toshiba Tablet PC with Netgear 511T wireless card. With an open
> protocol everything works fine, but the moment I put in any encryption
> either
> WEP or WPA I loose the Internet connection on the Tablet PC although it
> gets
> an IP address (starting with 192.168...) and shows an excellent wireless
> connection. The router's connected devices list does not show the Tablet
> PC,
> despite the excellent connection status on the Tablet PC. Once they are
> connected with a cable, even with encryption everything works fine and it
> also shows up on the router's connected devices status.
>
> Any help, hint, advice most appreciated. I have also asked the question to
> Netgear, but response is awaited.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 14, 2005 4:57:50 PM

Hi

Encryption is a Wireless thing, when you connect with a Cable it is not part of the
connection.

May be this can Help.

WEP, WPA, and the Future - http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote in message
> I don't know much about WPA, but with WEP you have to have everything the
> same on the router and computer. Use the same word to generate the keys,
> make sure you are using the same key number, and make sure you have it
> enabled on both devices. Do you know if you are using the Windows Wireless
> controller or the one for your wireless card? You may be putting the
> settings in your card's controller when Windows is in charge.
>
> The wired connection doesn't use the encryption so it is not a factor.
>
> Clark
>
> "Navile" <Navile@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D 254708F-0275-4EBD-A769-2587C07A74FE@microsoft.com...
> >I have a Netgear DG834GT ADSL wireless modem/router. I am trying to connect
> > it to a Toshiba Tablet PC with Netgear 511T wireless card. With an open
> > protocol everything works fine, but the moment I put in any encryption
> > either
> > WEP or WPA I loose the Internet connection on the Tablet PC although it
> > gets
> > an IP address (starting with 192.168...) and shows an excellent wireless
> > connection. The router's connected devices list does not show the Tablet
> > PC,
> > despite the excellent connection status on the Tablet PC. Once they are
> > connected with a cable, even with encryption everything works fine and it
> > also shows up on the router's connected devices status.
> >
> > Any help, hint, advice most appreciated. I have also asked the question to
> > Netgear, but response is awaited.

Related resources
June 14, 2005 10:06:43 PM

"Navile" <Navile@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 254708F-0275-4EBD-A769-2587C07A74FE@microsoft.com...
>I have a Netgear DG834GT ADSL wireless modem/router. I am trying to connect
> it to a Toshiba Tablet PC with Netgear 511T wireless card. With an open
> protocol everything works fine, but the moment I put in any encryption
> either
> WEP or WPA I loose the Internet connection on the Tablet PC although it
> gets
> an IP address (starting with 192.168...) and shows an excellent wireless
> connection. The router's connected devices list does not show the Tablet
> PC,
> despite the excellent connection status on the Tablet PC. Once they are
> connected with a cable, even with encryption everything works fine and it
> also shows up on the router's connected devices status.
>
> Any help, hint, advice most appreciated. I have also asked the question to
> Netgear, but response is awaited.

I have seen this issue many times in Netgear forum groups.
Try running your wireless connection at 54mbps rather than 108 mbps .
You can also try updating to the latest firmware which some posters have
said fixed the problem.

http://forum1.netgear.com/support/index.php?c=6&sid=7ba...
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 15, 2005 8:26:01 AM

Thanks to all of you who helped. I will try these suggestions and hopefully
something will work.

!