Advice on power supply desired

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
March 14, 2005 3:07:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned (More info?)

Guys,

First off I have to order a power supply in the next few days. I need
advice on what to order. Price is a concern, but I am willing to spend up
to $200 shipping and tax included, if there is shipping or tax.

I am looking at this supply,

http://www.maxpoint.com/products/pow_supp/spec_pg/noist...

The Enermax Noisetaker AX 2.0. It offers excellent specs, even the ripple
on the 12V #1 rail is very low so that the CPU/RAM get a clean source for
better overclocking etc.

My system specs will be these:

Asus A8V (later on I may end up getting a SLI motherboard)

1 up to 2 Gig (2 to 4 sticks of RAM) in Dual Channel mode. Possibly either
Patriot or OCZ TCCD RAM

A Sapphire 9600 Pro vid card (will be a better card later on obviously)

Up to 6 hard drives (Important to me) 4 in SATA two in PATA.

1 DVD Burner

1 CD Burner

Several fans, 1 CPU, 3 to 5 Case fans run at lower speeds via fan control
for quietness but improved air flow (1 top blow hole, 1 or 2 rear, 1 facing
CPU/Video card(s) 1 to 2 in front of case, depending upon the case, I want
to keep the hard drives cool, they get hot).

2 Cold Cathode lamps (I have them, so I might as well use them).

Added Sound Card with Live! Drive.

Case will be a full tower until I build my "hand made from scratch case" in
a year or so.

So... I want a Power Supply that will support a high performance AGP video
card for now, but will support a PCI Express SLI setup later, and all of
the above specs. I have calculated that it would be best to get a good
strong 600Watter at least, since I will be eventually running a lot of hard
drives as I accumulate them.

If there is a case comperable to this Enermax case for a lower price let me
know, and no matter what, I'd love some opinions on what cases you all
like, where to get them, and what *you* use.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
March 21, 2005 2:13:34 AM

"signmeuptoo" <signmeuptoo_no_spam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Guys,
>
> First off I have to order a power supply in the next few days. I need
> advice on what to order. Price is a concern, but I am willing to spend up
> to $200 shipping and tax included, if there is shipping or tax.
>
> I am looking at this supply,
>
> http://www.maxpoint.com/products/pow_supp/spec_pg/noist...
>
> The Enermax Noisetaker AX 2.0. It offers excellent specs, even the ripple
> on the 12V #1 rail is very low so that the CPU/RAM get a clean source for
> better overclocking etc.
>
> My system specs will be these:
>
> Asus A8V (later on I may end up getting a SLI motherboard)

If you are going to get an SLI board later, you will probably need the new
24-pin power plug to the mobo.. if I recall right, the Antec Neopower has
both the 20 and 24-pin connectors.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
March 21, 2005 2:53:13 AM

signmeuptoo wrote:
> Guys,
>
> First off I have to order a power supply in the next few days. I need
> advice on what to order. Price is a concern, but I am willing to spend up
> to $200 shipping and tax included, if there is shipping or tax.
>
> I am looking at this supply,
>
> http://www.maxpoint.com/products/pow_supp/spec_pg/noist...
>
> The Enermax Noisetaker AX 2.0. It offers excellent specs, even the ripple
> on the 12V #1 rail is very low so that the CPU/RAM get a clean source for
> better overclocking etc.

the specs on the 12v #1 & 12v #2 are 18a each, combined 35a.

is this good or misleading?
!