CarnEvil - Unplayable? Correct Mouse Support?

I can't find a way to play this game. I've enabled mouse support, but
everytime I fire, the 'bullet hole' type effect will appear off screen -
making the game completely unplayable, since you can't actually hit
anything.

Is there some kind of fix for this?

Thanks very much
19 answers Last reply
More about carnevil unplayable correct mouse support

    Well....of course you have to calibrate the mouse in carnevil's system
    menu first....You should know that procedure from your original
    carnevil arcade cab where you calibrate the gun.

    "Roman Scherzer" <roman.scherzer@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Well....of course you have to calibrate the mouse in carnevil's system
    > menu first....You should know that procedure from your original
    > carnevil arcade cab where you calibrate the gun.

    Aright! You got me... I never owned a CarnEvil cabinet. I owned a few arcade
    cabinets, but not this one. Are you telling me you've never played a game on
    Mame that you haven't owned? Eitherway, thanks very much for your help. I
    Have it working now.

    One final question though, the sound stutters. Is this just to be expected,
    or is there some magic cure I should be aware of? I have a 3Ghz CPU, which
    hopefully meets this games requirements.

    Sune Salminen wrote:
    > Roman Scherzer wrote:
    >
    > /snip
    >

    >>You should know that procedure from your original
    >>carnevil arcade cab where you calibrate the gun.
    >

    > Oh please.
    >
    > There's no need to give that speech here, this is a public, unmoderated
    > newsgroup.
    >
    > It's okay to "ask about roms and missing files"...
    >
    > -Sune

    LOL! Whats funny is in the EU and US, dumping and keeping a ROM is
    still illegal!

    --
    MCR
    MAME(tm) - History In The Making

    Your reply is totally out of scope and gives zero sense to the
    discussion. I gave a concrete answer to his question while my 'speech'
    was totally ok and there was no discussion about missing files nor a
    question about roms themselves either.
    And by the way, it doesn't play any role if this newsgroup is public
    and not moderated. Any violation of the MAME licence will be reported
    (not related to this post/reply though). If anyone uses this newsgroup
    to sell his MAME DVDs, he'll get into trouble.

    >Well....of course you have to calibrate the mouse in carnevil's system
    >menu first....You should know that procedure from your original
    >carnevil arcade cab where you calibrate the gun.

    1st of all..my reply was for Sune's posting..ok...clicked on the wrong
    post.
    2nd of all...as you can see above there is no talk about any 'dumping'
    instructions mentioned
    3rd of all...You are not correct claiming dumping as illegal.
    4th of all... I didn't advice him to do dump anything
    5th of all..your little sidenote on clrmampro is nonsense and shows
    that you don't have any clue when it comes to licence violations
    etc....but we know that from your earlier posts already.

    and before you ask about "3rd". Here it is absolutely allowed to make a
    "private copy of digital data", no matter if the copy is analog or
    digital itself. There are some restrictions about what to do with the
    data of course (not publishing/giving to other persons etc) and what
    you did to get the copy (you can't go to a theatre and get your private
    copy of the latest movie of course). Dumping standard IC data for your
    own purposes is allowed. Removing possible protection devices isn't
    though. The US also thinks about some 'private copy' law since early
    2002...currently I don't know what's the status on that one. Either
    way...your general statement was incorrect.

    Roman wrote:
    > Your reply is totally out of scope and gives zero sense to the
    > discussion. I gave a concrete answer to his question while my 'speech'
    > was totally ok and there was no discussion about missing files nor a
    > question about roms themselves either.

    The reply you gave was the standard MAME.NET one. The guy wants to know
    how to get his game working. Your answer about dumping from the
    original machine! (Something BTW that is illegal). Now, you are
    suggesting that he should do something illegal (assuming he is in the EU
    or US). There is no moral high ground here, how he obtained his ROMs is
    neither here nor there. If you yourself dumped all your ROMs from all
    your machines you undoubtable own, and I just had ROMs I downloaded from
    www.iwarezroms.com there is no legal difference, we will share a cell
    for the same amount of time.

    > And by the way, it doesn't play any role if this newsgroup is public
    > and not moderated. Any violation of the MAME licence will be reported
    > (not related to this post/reply though). If anyone uses this newsgroup
    > to sell his MAME DVDs, he'll get into trouble.

    oooOOOoooo.... Who cares? This discussion is not about wholesale ROM
    distribution! Let me see, the guy that makes the tool to enable large
    scale piracy is going to report the user for committing a licence
    violation. I'd like to see that one in court!

    BTW they welcome sanctimonious, patronising line towing here...
    www.mame.net
    --

    Roman Scherzer wrote:
    > and before you ask about "3rd". Here it is absolutely allowed to make a
    > "private copy of digital data", no matter if the copy is analog or
    > digital itself. There are some restrictions about what to do with the
    > data of course (not publishing/giving to other persons etc) and what
    > you did to get the copy (you can't go to a theatre and get your private
    > copy of the latest movie of course). Dumping standard IC data for your
    > own purposes is allowed. Removing possible protection devices isn't
    > though. The US also thinks about some 'private copy' law since early
    > 2002...currently I don't know what's the status on that one. Either
    > way...your general statement was incorrect.

    And I quote as it is easier...

    I can imagine the face of many an average user turning red in
    frustration right about now, and some might even be spluttering in rage.
    "But ... but ... you haven't told us anything! Backups are legal!
    The law says so! So what if the emulator has nothing to do with it? I
    HAVE THE LEGAL RIGHT TO BACK UP MY GAME CARTS!"
    Wrong. Users do not have the right to back up any kind of object
    code stored in ROM for any videogame system.
    "WHAT?!"
    Listen, and listen carefully. Any unauthorized copy of a computer
    program, regardless of the original or resultant media, can be
    considered a counterfeit copy under federal law. (15 USC 1127, 18 USC
    1030). The practice of dumping the videogame cartridges of a home
    videogame system by the average user is not justified under the backup
    proviso of copyright law (Atari v. JS&A Group, 1983), and this
    restriction also covers arcade videogames and any other ROM-derived
    formats as well (Tandy v. Personal Micro Computer, 1981). The one
    exception for ROM dumping is granted solely to bona fide developers and
    their associates (Sega v. Accolade and Nintendo v. Atari, 1992), with
    any resultant "intermediate copies" having exactly the same protections
    and restrictions as if they were the originals themselves. You, as a
    user, do not have the right to dump a piece of computer code stored in
    ROM format for use with an emulator, since you are not a developer (Sony
    v. Connectix, 2000). Also, this is not considered to be justifiable as
    an operational adaptation due to the necessary format change involved
    (Mirage v. Alberquerque ART, 1988). What you have produced is a
    derivative work, and all such works must be authorized by the copyright
    owner in order to be legal (17 USC 106). You cannot use fair use to
    justify ROM dumps, since the courts have denied this venue to the
    average user due to the illegal nature of the resultant copies (Sega v.
    MAPHIA, 1994).

    --

    -----8<-----
    -----8<-----
    > You cannot use fair use to
    > justify ROM dumps, since the courts have denied this venue to the
    > average user due to the illegal nature of the resultant copies (Sega v.
    > MAPHIA, 1994).

    "I like it better when you were stupid!"
    (Sorry, couldn't resist. <GBEG>)

    --
    Thnik about it!
    Deadly_Dad

    depredationist@handgriping.sisst.net
    dorsonasal@elpiditei.org
    copremia@dervishisma.com
    buttstock@antivirusu.com
    aiseweed@moanificationm.net

    Roman Scherzer wrote:
    >>Well....of course you have to calibrate the mouse in carnevil's system
    >>menu first....You should know that procedure from your original
    >>carnevil arcade cab where you calibrate the gun.
    >

    > 1st of all..my reply was for Sune's posting..ok...clicked on the wrong
    > post.
    > 2nd of all...as you can see above there is no talk about any 'dumping'
    > instructions mentioned
    > 3rd of all...You are not correct claiming dumping as illegal.
    > 4th of all... I didn't advice him to do dump anything
    > 5th of all..your little sidenote on clrmampro is nonsense and shows
    > that you don't have any clue when it comes to licence violations
    > etc....but we know that from your earlier posts already.

    NOOOOOOooooo!!!!! Stay good, Roman, stay good! Curse you, Stuart
    Campbell. You've poisoned the best of us, you obnoxious Scottish git!

    --
    Thnik about it!
    Deadly_Dad

    preeze@ophthalmology.cardiocirrhosisd.net
    alemite@wekeena.lv
    Blattodea@overvoltagef.int
    tumidness@refrustrates.org

    * MCR wrote in alt.games.mame:
    > Roman wrote:
    >> Your reply is totally out of scope and gives zero sense to the
    >> discussion. I gave a concrete answer to his question while my 'speech'
    >> was totally ok and there was no discussion about missing files nor a
    >> question about roms themselves either.

    > The reply you gave was the standard MAME.NET one. The guy wants to know
    > how to get his game working. Your answer about dumping from the
    > original machine! (Something BTW that is illegal).

    Not illegal to dump for the purpose of backup. Personal use of the image
    without the original equipment is illegal but ONLY if that hardware is
    still readily available, at least thats the way it works in the US.

    The latter part of that statement is a recent addition to the DMCA.
    --
    David
    Heard that the next Space Shuttle is supposed to carry several Guernsey cows?

    SINNER wrote:
    > * MCR wrote in alt.games.mame:
    >
    >>Roman wrote:
    >>
    >>>Your reply is totally out of scope and gives zero sense to the
    >>>discussion. I gave a concrete answer to his question while my 'speech'
    >>>was totally ok and there was no discussion about missing files nor a
    >>>question about roms themselves either.
    >

    >>The reply you gave was the standard MAME.NET one. The guy wants to know
    >>how to get his game working. Your answer about dumping from the
    >>original machine! (Something BTW that is illegal).
    >

    > Not illegal to dump for the purpose of backup. Personal use of the image
    > without the original equipment is illegal but ONLY if that hardware is
    > still readily available, at least thats the way it works in the US.
    >
    > The latter part of that statement is a recent addition to the DMCA.

    The DMCA also states that it does not oveerturn/change any previous rulings.

    "The practice of dumping the videogame cartridges of a home videogame
    system by the average user is not justified under the backup proviso of
    copyright law (Atari v. JS&A Group, 1983) and this restriction also
    covers arcade videogames and any other ROM-derived formats as well
    (Tandy v. Personal Micro Computer, 1981). The one exception for ROM
    dumping is granted solely to bona fide developers and their associates
    (Sega v. Accolade and Nintendo v. Atari, 1992)".

    Fair use and 'backup' are not applicable to ROMs. Also, we are not all
    covered by the DMCA :)
    --

    * MCR Wrote in alt.games.mame:

    > SINNER wrote:
    >> * MCR wrote in alt.games.mame:

    >>>The reply you gave was the standard MAME.NET one. The guy wants
    >>>to know how to get his game working. Your answer about dumping
    >>>from the original machine! (Something BTW that is illegal).
    >>

    >> Not illegal to dump for the purpose of backup. Personal use of
    >> the image without the original equipment is illegal but ONLY if
    >> that hardware is still readily available, at least thats the way
    >> it works in the US.
    >>
    >> The latter part of that statement is a recent addition to the
    >> DMCA.
    >
    > The DMCA also states that it does not oveerturn/change any
    > previous rulings.
    >
    > "The practice of dumping the videogame cartridges of a home
    > videogame system by the average user is not justified under the
    > backup proviso of copyright law (Atari v. JS&A Group, 1983) and
    > this restriction also covers arcade videogames and any other
    > ROM-derived formats as well (Tandy v. Personal Micro Computer,
    > 1981). The one exception for ROM dumping is granted solely to
    > bona fide developers and their associates (Sega v. Accolade and
    > Nintendo v. Atari, 1992)".
    >
    > Fair use and 'backup' are not applicable to ROMs. Also, we are
    > not all covered by the DMCA :)

    Fair use is not, backup is. It is specifically mentioned that use for
    repair is legal. THe RTOM may not be 'used' without the original
    hardware. Regarding the DMCA it was ruled that IF the hardware for a
    platform is no longer available that reverse engineering is no longer
    an issue.

    Small quote:

    Thirdly, in addition to being able to make copies of damaged,
    deteriorating, lost, or stolen items, eligible libraries and archives
    may now make copies of digital material in obsolete formats. A format
    is considered obsolete if the machine or device necessary to render
    perceptible a work stored in that formatis no longer manufactured or
    is no longer reasonably available in the commercial market-place. The
    law recognizes that hardware or software obsolescence is in itself a
    form of loss and has made it legallypossible to transfer files to
    newer media or file formats.

    http://cidc.library.cornell.edu/Pub_files/DMCA_Final.pdf

    --
    David

    SINNER wrote:
    Snipped in entirety

    Sinner, you may have been *half* right

    "

    It is legal for you to make a backup copy of a piece of computer
    software that you have obtained through appropriate means, and emulation
    sites are often fond of quoting paragraphs (a) and (b) of 17 USC 117 on
    that subject. Let's refresh our memory and see what the law as we know
    it says:

    a) Making of additional copy or adaptation by owner of copy

    Notwithstanding the provisions of section 106, it is not an
    infringement for the owner of a copy of a computer program to make or
    authorize the making of another copy or adaptation of that computer
    program provided:

    1. that such a new copy or adaptation is created as an
    essential step in the utilization of the computer program in conjunction
    with a machine and that it is used in no other manner, or
    2. that such new copy or adaptation is for archival purposes
    only and that all archival copies are destroyed in the event that
    continued possession of the computer program should cease to be rightful.

    "

    However, you can still see, you cannot use these ROM dumps for MAME ;-)
    --

    * MCR Wrote in alt.games.mame:

    > Peace Sinner... rememeber, it IS about the games...

    Dude! No hostility here. You didnt pick up any did you? Mere discussion
    among friends chappy :)

    --
    David

    * MCR Wrote in alt.games.mame:

    > However, you can still see, you cannot use these ROM dumps for
    > MAME ;-)

    I always knew that and thought I made it clear. You can backup your own
    machine and save that rom but you cannot play it unless its back on the
    board.

    --
    David

    SINNER wrote:
    > * MCR Wrote in alt.games.mame:
    >

    >>Peace Sinner... rememeber, it IS about the games...
    >

    > Dude! No hostility here. You didnt pick up any did you? Mere discussion
    > among friends chappy :)

    yeah of course mate... How could i fight you! :-)

    --

    SINNER wrote:
    > * MCR Wrote in alt.games.mame:
    >

    >>However, you can still see, you cannot use these ROM dumps for
    >>MAME ;-)
    >

    > I always knew that and thought I made it clear. You can backup your own
    > machine and save that rom but you cannot play it unless its back on the
    > board.

    LOL! The arguements we all have here! :-)

    --

    * MCR Wrote in alt.games.mame:

    > SINNER wrote:
    >> * MCR Wrote in alt.games.mame:
    >>

    >>>However, you can still see, you cannot use these ROM dumps for
    >>>MAME ;-)
    >>

    >> I always knew that and thought I made it clear. You can backup
    >> your own machine and save that rom but you cannot play it unless
    >> its back on the board.
    >>

    > LOL! The arguements we all have here! :-)

    Erm, Discussions.... ;)

    --
    David

Support Mice Games Video Games