interested in a code-freeze including bug-hunting.

just my two cents

Rieker

On 2005-08-18, Rieker Flaik <rieker_flaik@arcor.de> wrote:
> What about a fix release cycle in every 6 Months, like OpenBSD does?

Sounds way too much like "work" to me. As, "thing you get paid for",
you know?

OG.

mcr

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

Rieker Flaik wrote:
> Hi
>
> MAME is one of the best emulators I've seen because of it's quality, portability
> and game quantity. If there is something that could be improved, it's the
> release cycle (in my opinion).
> What about a fix release cycle in every 6 Months, like OpenBSD does? So the
> releases would get more stable, the count of different ROM-Sets would decrease,
> the changes/improvements between versions would be greater. So that ports and
> forks can relay on a conservative base.
> Users/Fans who love to stay at the bleeding edge could go with the CVS-Current
> Developer-Version.
> On the other hand I know that MAME is changing rapidly and no one is very
> interested in a code-freeze including bug-hunting.
>
> just my two cents
>
> Rieker

I dont know if you know, but MAME has a pretty speedy release cycle. In
between 97 - 98 - 99 etc there are 'U' releases, so if you want to stay
on the bleeding edge (as you call it) you simply download the 'U'
release and update any ROMs that have changed (If you are a Pokerom
collector!).

I've found MAME quite stable, the core program itself doesnt seem to
exhibit the behaviour of software in BETA cycle. Even the 'U' releases
aren't unstable, as the only MAIN changes between versions of MAME is
usually just the drivers.

--
MCR
MAME(tm) - History In The Making