Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Some Nexus 7 Already Plagued With Hardware Problems

Last response: in News comments
July 19, 2012 10:08:51 PM

I just got mine last night, Sleep Of Death right out of box. Couldn't wake it up from sleep, had to do hard reset everytime, factory reset seems to fixed the problem tho.
Score
July 19, 2012 10:14:36 PM

Google PlaySorry! Devices on Google Play is not available in your country yet.
We're working to bring devices to more countries as quickly as possible.
Please check back again soon.

The new iPad may costs 2.5x as much, but Apple will actually accept my money.
Of course, to Google we're not customers, we're the product so it's hardly suprising.
Score
Related resources
July 19, 2012 10:41:57 PM

killerclickThe new iPad may costs 2.5x as much, but Apple will actually accept my money.Of course, to Google we're not customers, we're the product so it's hardly suprising.

Right, hello employee. Don't forget to worship Steve Jobs!
Score
July 19, 2012 10:44:44 PM

Is there any data on what percentage of devices sold are actually experiencing the issues?
Score
July 19, 2012 10:54:34 PM

Google, a company that were supposed to take the tablet market (as much as I don't care for tablets) by storm, seems to have gotten lax in quality control. Perhaps they are overworking the factories that are producing these Nexus 7 tablets in an attempt to catch up to demand, but something got screwed up along the way.

killerclickThe new iPad may costs 2.5x as much, but Apple will actually accept my money.Of course, to Google we're not customers, we're the product so it's hardly suprising.

Well, to Apple, we're just a resource, so it's not like they're any better in how they view us.
Score
July 19, 2012 11:03:21 PM

Android fanboy will always find excuse to forgive their master...
Score
July 19, 2012 11:05:49 PM

nuvonAndroid fanboy will always find excuse to forgive their master...

The same is true for Apple fanboys, Nvidia fanboys, AMD fanboys, Intel fanboys, etc. etc... Do you see a pattern here? It doesn't matter who a fanboy is a fanboy for because they are still fanboys.
Score
July 19, 2012 11:05:57 PM

I have not seen these issues on mine (fingers X) and I hope it won't happen.

Score
July 19, 2012 11:06:55 PM

jojesa said:
I have not seen these issues on mine (fingers X) and I hope it won't happen.

Good luck.
Score
July 19, 2012 11:30:55 PM

So much for the quality of things that are made in the USA (I couldn't help it--the first thing that came to mind when I saw this was all of the "the Nexus was constructed in the USA" articles that popped up in the last couple weeks).
Score
July 19, 2012 11:33:25 PM

Widely reported from @mac.com email addresses....

Seriously its probably either not happening at all or its happening here and there to a handful of people. Asus has made many different tablets before. This isn't their first rodeo, so its unlikely that they'd screw up the adhesive on the production runs. Dead pixels sounds sketchy too unless they used their time machine to buy some panels from 2007.
Score
July 19, 2012 11:34:07 PM

teh_chemSo much for the quality of things that are made in the USA (I couldn't help it--the first thing that came to mind when I saw this was all of the "the Nexus was constructed in the USA" articles that popped up in the last couple weeks).

It wasn't made in the USA. You're think of the Q.
Score
July 19, 2012 11:38:23 PM

The Nexus Q was built in the USA, the Nexus 7 that everyone is having issue with is manufactured by Asus and is built in Taiwan and China. So Google is not to blame for QC or build issue. That also falls on Asus.
Score
July 20, 2012 12:06:33 AM

fyendIt wasn't made in the USA. You're think of the Q.

sgtgimpyThe Nexus Q was built in the USA, the Nexus 7 that everyone is having issue with is manufactured by Asus and is built in Taiwan and China. So Google is not to blame for QC or build issue. That also falls on Asus.

DOH!!! My bad. Totally right.

Realizing now it's an asus product, I wouldn't be surprised--my original transformer tab has had no hardware functionality issues, but their user support is god-awful.
Score
July 20, 2012 12:09:17 AM

sgtgimpyThe Nexus Q was built in the USA, the Nexus 7 that everyone is having issue with is manufactured by Asus and is built in Taiwan and China. So Google is not to blame for QC or build issue. That also falls on Asus.

It's still an issue for Google considering it's built specifically for them. Also, claiming that anything built in China or Taiwan is of shotty quality compared to anything in the U.S.A.... Compare any car built here to those built overseas. /end argument.

Besides that blatant fanboy comment, overall I'm curious to see how Google handles this. Microsoft, after much flack, owned up to their RRoD issue. Sony didn't own up to their YLoD issue. Apple didn't own up to ANY of their issues. So Google, I'm not MS fanboy but you should really take queue from them in this regard.
Score
July 20, 2012 12:36:41 AM

Developing cutting edge products on a fast schedule isn't easy; Errors happen, for Google as well as Apple.

Interesting to read the reactions in the forum
Score
July 20, 2012 12:41:08 AM

snowzsanIt's still an issue for Google considering it's built specifically for them. Also, claiming that anything built in China or Taiwan is of shotty quality compared to anything in the U.S.A.... Compare any car built here to those built overseas. /end argument.citation]

actually thats a crappy argument since that hasnt been true for at least the last 5 years. American made cars are holding their own again any foreign manufacturer. There is a reason kia and the rest have 100k mile warranties....they need them.
Score
July 20, 2012 1:09:11 AM

We have 10 in our extended family and everyone seems to be loving them so far and after a few days as of this evening noone has experienced any of these problems. I think we had 1 sound issues that fixed itself when we updated to 4.1.1
Score
July 20, 2012 1:48:51 AM

o..Crap.. no only the Sleep of Death issue is back but i just checked, my left side of screen is also "Life"....... waiting on the phone now for RMA and refund T_T;
Score
July 20, 2012 2:01:59 AM

geminireaper
snowzsanIt's still an issue for Google considering it's built specifically for them. Also, claiming that anything built in China or Taiwan is of shotty quality compared to anything in the U.S.A.... Compare any car built here to those built overseas. /end argument.citation]actually thats a crappy argument since that hasnt been true for at least the last 5 years. American made cars are holding their own again any foreign manufacturer. There is a reason kia and the rest have 100k mile warranties....they need them.

+1, the American car companies have really been getting their crap together over the past 5 years. The argument that American cars are junk doesn't really hold up anymore.
Score
July 20, 2012 3:30:06 AM

Kami3kRight, hello employee. Don't forget to worship Steve Jobs!

I really like this one. Very hilarious!
Score
July 20, 2012 3:40:28 AM

11796pcs said:
+1, the American car companies have really been getting their crap together over the past 5 years. The argument that American cars are junk doesn't really hold up anymore.
I accidentally downrated you because you quoted gemini, who had a botched quote. So I thought you were quoting snowzsan and mistakenly agreeing with him. Sorry.

The current crop of US/Canadian-made vehicles are pretty good overall in terms of quality. Same goes for Korean cars, in particular ever since Hyundai bought Kia many years ago, and gradually brought quality up on both lines.

Regardless, we're talking about China and Taiwan here. How many Chinese-built cars has anyone here owned? It's not really fair to group all foreign products together. Comparing Chinese products to Japanese, Korean, etc, is an insult.
Score
July 20, 2012 3:41:25 AM

It was rushed through from conception to market. So this is not a surprise. I just hope google learns something here. I know Asus has been cursing them for a while and now ..... Oops looky there it broke. Oh well I just hope google doesn't turn too many people away from a potentially great product. I want to see Crapple take a nose dive tee hee hee!
Score
July 20, 2012 3:43:17 AM

alextheblueI accidentally downrated you because you quoted gemini, who had a botched quote. So I thought you were quoting snowzsan and mistakenly agreeing with him. Sorry.The current crop of US/Canadian-made vehicles are pretty good overall in terms of quality. Same goes for Korean cars, in particular ever since Hyundai bought Kia many years ago, and gradually brought quality up on both lines. Regardless, we're talking about China and Taiwan here. How many Chinese-built cars has anyone here owned? It's not really fair to group all foreign products together. Comparing Chinese products to Japanese, Korean, etc, is an insult.

Word^
Score
July 20, 2012 4:51:21 AM

Well, even idevices (especially the ipad) seem to eventually suffer from a frozen home button. It's ok, i'm sure they'll fix it.
Score
July 20, 2012 7:13:56 AM

Chinese Shiite... very disapointing from Google... Anyway, they're all just trying to keep up with Apple... and obviously can't... makes me think about samsungs's galaxy S3, feels like a cheap piece of plastic... Thanks, i'll stick to Apple, until the Android/PC world decides to invest in quality, cos that's what WE want to pay for...
Score
July 20, 2012 7:42:49 AM

uruquioraChinese Shiite... very disapointing from Google... Anyway, they're all just trying to keep up with Apple... and obviously can't... makes me think about samsungs's galaxy S3, feels like a cheap piece of plastic... Thanks, i'll stick to Apple, until the Android/PC world decides to invest in quality, cos that's what WE want to pay for...

Well, even if your comment wasn't racist, it would still be wrong because you can't get a new Apple device of the same quality as another company's new device for the same or a similar market at the same price. Heck, going into full-blown x86 computers, Apple isn't even close. Yes, I've used Macs and speak from experience. The value ratio is very low in comparison with a PC or a Linux computer with the same (or better) hardware.
Score
Anonymous
July 20, 2012 11:26:04 AM

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA CRAP PRODUCT CRAP HARDWARE LOL HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA

#AAPLWINS
Score
July 20, 2012 11:27:36 AM

New products have issues; that is to be expected.
It is HOW the company deals with it that can make or break a new product !
Score
July 20, 2012 11:36:56 AM

Just 15-30 days to return it??

Wow nice consumer protection you have in the US guys!

Thank god I get 1-3 years+.
Score
July 20, 2012 1:20:33 PM

otacon72This is what you get when [you] rush something from development through production.

This is what you get when you rush to post a comment...
Score
July 20, 2012 1:31:51 PM

uruquioraChinese Shiite... very disapointing from Google... Anyway, they're all just trying to keep up with Apple... and obviously can't... makes me think about samsungs's galaxy S3, feels like a cheap piece of plastic... Thanks, i'll stick to Apple, until the Android/PC world decides to invest in quality, cos that's what WE want to pay for...

Apple makes really "Quality" macs, (hardware cool, software not so great).
I personally restart my Macbook Air more often than my windows 7 HP.
The trick Apple plays is that they caught "all" unexpected exceptions and swallowed them, so it appears to regular users as if everything is okay. On the other hand, a "normal" OS like windows 7 will throw you the exception when it gets one. I like this approach, because I can actually google the exception and try to resolve the issue. What Mac did here is wrong, it hides all errors and simply refuse to work until I reboot the OS. That's why people always said when Mac works it's "Magic", and when it refuses to work, it's the user's fault.
The same goes for iOS.
Score
July 20, 2012 1:33:28 PM

AAPLWINSHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA CRAP PRODUCT CRAP HARDWARE LOL HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA#AAPLWINS

If Apple really wins, then everyone loses. Including you, you mindless iSheep. Your Lord Steve J will not spare you.
Score
July 20, 2012 1:53:39 PM

AAPLWINSHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA CRAP PRODUCT CRAP HARDWARE LOL HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA#AAPLWINS

Crap keyboard? Your shift key is stuck. To cheap to spend $10 on a new one?
Score
Anonymous
July 20, 2012 2:28:00 PM

lamorpacrybabyCrap keyboard? Your shift key is stuck. To cheap to spend $10 on a new one?

YES, I AM "TOO" CHEAP (YOU LEFT OUT AN O, BUDDY). I AM AN ANDROID USER, SO IT GOES WITHOUT SAYING THAT I AM POOR AND ENVIOUS OF APPLE! IF I WAS ON A MAC, THIS WOULD BE FORMATTED CORRECTLY!

#AAPLWINS
Score
July 20, 2012 2:33:27 PM

I got mine list night dead out of the box, called google and they are sending another one.
Score
July 20, 2012 2:38:29 PM

AAPLWINSAGAINYES, I AM "TOO" CHEAP (YOU LEFT OUT AN O, BUDDY). I AM AN ANDROID USER, SO IT GOES WITHOUT SAYING THAT I AM POOR AND ENVIOUS OF APPLE! IF I WAS ON A MAC, THIS WOULD BE FORMATTED CORRECTLY!#AAPLWINS

lol, I always thought iOS users were the cheap uneducated ones.
Most of the iOS users I saw are so stupid that they don't even know what App Store is, lol.

I give the following advises to everyone I know of, girls and the uneducated(or just plain stupid) should stick to iOS, everyone else who has used a pc before should go with Android. iOS has been dummy-proof for people like you ;) 
Score
July 20, 2012 2:43:48 PM

amdwilliam1985Apple makes really "Quality" macs, (hardware cool, software not so great).I personally restart my Macbook Air more often than my windows 7 HP.The trick Apple plays is that they caught "all" unexpected exceptions and swallowed them, so it appears to regular users as if everything is okay. On the other hand, a "normal" OS like windows 7 will throw you the exception when it gets one. I like this approach, because I can actually google the exception and try to resolve the issue. What Mac did here is wrong, it hides all errors and simply refuse to work until I reboot the OS. That's why people always said when Mac works it's "Magic", and when it refuses to work, it's the user's fault. The same goes for iOS.

I'm not sure which macbook air you're using or what OS X version you have. That is not my experience; And until (thank you Microsoft) Windows 7, I was rebooting Vista daily because it was a piece of horrible.

I have the complete opposite experience with OS X. If anything both (Windows 7 and OSX) are stable. Additionally I've been running 10.8 in order to iron out bugs. Even with the errata I've never had to reboot the system due to bugs.

Hope you have better luck with the next update.

Score
July 20, 2012 2:49:08 PM

sundragonI'm not sure which macbook air you're using or what OS X version you have. That is not my experience; And until (thank you Microsoft) Windows 7, I was rebooting Vista daily because it was a piece of horrible.I have the complete opposite experience with OS X. If anything both (Windows 7 and OSX) are stable. Additionally I've been running 10.8 in order to iron out bugs. Even with the errata I've never had to reboot the system due to bugs.Hope you have better luck with the next update.

I have the 2011 MBA, 13" inche with 1.7GHz Core i5 and paired with 4GB of DDR3 and a 128GB SSD.
I won't buy Mac OSX before lion, there's no maximum button. I'm a "neat freak", I need all my screens lined up neatly. I can't never understand the "+" button in Mac OSX. It is the biggest turn off for me for OSX, until lion.
Score
July 20, 2012 2:52:53 PM

amdwilliam1985I have the 2011 MBA, 13" inche with 1.7GHz Core i5 and paired with 4GB of DDR3 and a 128GB SSD.I won't buy Mac OSX before lion, there's no maximum button. I'm a "neat freak", I need all my screens lined up neatly. I can't never understand the "+" button in Mac OSX. It is the biggest turn off for me for OSX, until lion.

Hmm, I have the same system with the Core i7. You'll like Mountain Lion - It cleans up the interface a bit more. I don't use the (+) but there is a way to control it's maximization.
Score
July 20, 2012 3:05:56 PM

sundragonHmm, I have the same system with the Core i7. You'll like Mountain Lion - It cleans up the interface a bit more. I don't use the (+) but there is a way to control it's maximization.

I probably have too high of expectation when I got my MBA 2011. I should've gone for Macbook pro instead of MBA for the workloads I put to it.

I wish some hacker would integrated Mac OSX with Windows 7.
I love the gestures with my touchpad and I also love windows 7's "drag and snap window".
Score
July 20, 2012 3:06:01 PM

Quote:
YES, I AM "TOO" CHEAP (YOU LEFT OUT AN O, BUDDY). I AM AN ANDROID USER, SO IT GOES WITHOUT SAYING THAT I AM POOR AND ENVIOUS OF APPLE! IF I WAS ON A MAC, THIS WOULD BE FORMATTED CORRECTLY!

#AAPLWINS

Your Caps Lock appears to be stuck, lose.
Score
July 20, 2012 3:10:42 PM

amdwilliam1985I probably have too high of expectation when I got my MBA 2011. I should've gone for Macbook pro instead of MBA for the workloads I put to it.I wish some hacker would integrated Mac OSX with Windows 7.I love the gestures with my touchpad and I also love windows 7's "drag and snap window".

I had a pro and switched to the air when I started grad school. I miss the larger screen but it's easier to pack with all the books and stuff for the day.
Windows 8 (hopefully) will bring the ability to use gestures etc. Mountain Lion cleans up the OS - notifications, for example and runs more smoothly overall.

Compared to OS 10.5 and Vista, we have come a loooooo*cough*oong way :)  I hope this trend continues.
Score
July 20, 2012 3:15:25 PM

sundragonI had a pro and switched to the air when I started grad school. I miss the larger screen but it's easier to pack with all the books and stuff for the day. Windows 8 (hopefully) will bring the ability to use gestures etc. Mountain Lion cleans up the OS - notifications, for example and runs more smoothly overall. Compared to OS 10.5 and Vista, we have come a loooooo*cough*oong way I hope this trend continues.

Haven't try Mountain Lion yet, for the price they're asking, I'm sure I'll upgrade in an heart beat when they're available at retail.
What you comment on Mountain Lion sounds like what Jelly Bean is doing to Ice Cream Sandwich. And I hope you're right.
Score
July 20, 2012 4:37:35 PM

AAPLWINSAGAINYES, I AM "TOO" CHEAP (YOU LEFT OUT AN O, BUDDY). I AM AN ANDROID USER, SO IT GOES WITHOUT SAYING THAT I AM POOR AND ENVIOUS OF APPLE! IF I WAS ON A MAC, THIS WOULD BE FORMATTED CORRECTLY!#AAPLWINS

My Android and no Android that I've heard of has no shift/caps lock capability. My usual Android phones, a Samsung Transform and an Evo 4G, are both somewhat older phones and the Transform is an older phone than even the Evo 4G. It's also a very low end phone for its time. However, it has a sift key. It also has a caps lock key. If your problems are because you have an Android, then it's because you have no clue as to what you're doing despite Android being quite simple and easy to use. I'm not saying that Apple's stuff is crap like the apple fanboy that you are insults other stuff, but they most certainly do not win, at least not for the vast majority of relevant comparisons.
Score
July 20, 2012 11:53:55 PM

I got mine yesterday, dead out of box. Did factory reset (only time turns on) and still no luck. Called google and they are sending another one.

Called them today and they didn't give me any update :-(
Score
July 21, 2012 7:50:55 PM

It might feel cheap to you, but it's light weight which in turn means when you drop it, it's a lot less likely to crack or break. Breaking easy is not a good combination for something your carry around with you all day. I have an S2 and have dropped it twice, I know I'd at least be on my second Iphone if I had one of them. I'm always seeing broken Iphones from work collages and friends and yet a good few of them have S2's and I've yet to see one cracked screen.
Score
Anonymous
July 23, 2012 2:53:48 AM

lol people just get the transformer infinity and end all this nonsense!
Score
Anonymous
July 31, 2012 7:46:20 AM

Had thie Nexus 7 for 32 hours the screen cracked, very thin hearline crack why I couldnt tell you, but after looking on the web I dont think I am the only person this has happened to. ASUS tech support want another £200, Tescos support in a word - NO & Google are a joke you will never get customer support from them. There are obvious screen problems with this device thats why the warrenty you get with it dosnt cover the screen.. THE BEST ADVERT APPLE COULD GET FOR GETTING APPLE PRODUCTS WITH APPLE CARE.

What is the redress many of us have for getting the obviously floored product, nothing, I will NEVER PERCHASE ANOTHER ASUS, GOOGLE PRODUCT AGAIN.
Score
!