SATA 2 Native Command Cueing and Multi Tasking. Alot bette..

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
July 10, 2005 9:28:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned (More info?)

SATA 2 Native Command Cueing and Multi Tasking. Alot better ???

I know the speed of SATA 2 is 300mbs. Not to fussed about that as we
are not even using the ATA 100 full bandwitdth yet :)

But i am interested on what effects NCQ has on responsivness of your
computer system. Will it make it much smoother.

Example coying a file and doinf somthing. That make my system grind
toa halt. Still can use it but much easier to leave it and wait.

Iam waiting to build a new 64 bit system. An Amd X2 with SATA 2 driver
sounds IDEAL.

I never want to see an Hour glass or my system slow down like it does
now.

Thanks for any info.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
July 12, 2005 6:27:01 PM

Son Of Sheep. wrote:
> SATA 2 Native Command Cueing and Multi Tasking. Alot better ???
>
> I know the speed of SATA 2 is 300mbs. Not to fussed about that as we
> are not even using the ATA 100 full bandwitdth yet :)
>
> But i am interested on what effects NCQ has on responsivness of your
> computer system. Will it make it much smoother.
>
> Example coying a file and doinf somthing. That make my system grind
> toa halt. Still can use it but much easier to leave it and wait.
>
> Iam waiting to build a new 64 bit system. An Amd X2 with SATA 2 driver
> sounds IDEAL.
>
> I never want to see an Hour glass or my system slow down like it does
> now.
>
> Thanks for any info.

Used in a server with multiple users, NCQ offers some speed gains. In a
desktop, not at all.

Storage Review may have benchmarks for NCQ capable drives.

WD Raptors, 37/74GB 10,000 RPM are your best. Four of them on a 3Ware
controller are smoking.
!