wireless home workgroup network; 1 shared HP printer not w..

Specifically, the HP printer is NOT working on the other workgroup printers
that are on the home network. The other 2 computers are XP - successfully
ran the network wizard, all computers show up as well as the shared printer
(YES, file and printer sharing is enabled) Additionally, the printer is
attached to a Windows 2000 system which is wired directly to the Linksys
DI-624 4-port wireless router/switch and the 2 XP systems connect over the
wireless.

I was printing a couple of months ago and not sure what has changed on my
network. I CAN PRINT from the computer directly attached to the printer (USB
connection)
The exact error message is: "Test page failed to print" and then it asks if
I want to use the troubleshooter, which did not help much. So as you can
see, I was able to "Add" the network printer to each wireless system, but
cannot print to the printer from the wireless systems.
Would really appreciate any assistance, as this one is hurting my
brain........lol

danr

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2003

Kevin wrote:
> Specifically, the HP printer is NOT working on the other workgroup printers
> that are on the home network. The other 2 computers are XP - successfully
> ran the network wizard, all computers show up as well as the shared printer
> (YES, file and printer sharing is enabled) Additionally, the printer is
> attached to a Windows 2000 system which is wired directly to the Linksys
> DI-624 4-port wireless router/switch and the 2 XP systems connect over the
> wireless.
>
> I was printing a couple of months ago and not sure what has changed on my
> network. I CAN PRINT from the computer directly attached to the printer (USB
> connection)
> The exact error message is: "Test page failed to print" and then it asks if
> I want to use the troubleshooter, which did not help much. So as you can
> see, I was able to "Add" the network printer to each wireless system, but
> cannot print to the printer from the wireless systems.
> Would really appreciate any assistance, as this one is hurting my
> brain........lol

Have you made any changes to any software firewall programs? If so check into
that.
You say you were able to "Add" the network printer etc. Did things work fine
AFTER you did this for some time before the problem started? You may want to
troubleshoot with one computer at a time. Remove the network printer and start
over. When you add a network printer the computer is supposed to GET the driver
for the printer over the network. Let that happen again.

No changes to firewalls; in fact, I disabled the Windows Firewall on the XP
systems to see if I could get the printer thing working. ALL of my file
sharing is working for some odd reason - it's just the printer sharing. I
understand about the drivers supposed to d/l from the network, but it's not
happening, I just get a message saying I successfully completed adding the
network printer, but when I try to print from it, I get the error
(IMMEDIATELY). I can even dbl click on the printer and set print properties,
but can't print. I can even access the printer properties via web browser
through IIS, but no can print. I even tried dragNdrop ops to get SOMETHING
to print, but no dice.

Interestingly enough, when this first occurred, I checked the printer and it
would NOT work from the attached printer; I uninstalled the printer,
rebooted, and reinstalled the printer.

I also tried renaming the home network workgroup, but I would NOT recommend
that for anyone with little experience............. it only took me a couple
of hours to "flush" the old settings in all three computers.......doh and
the router.

I also tried to "reset" the printer by unplugging, but it is working fine
within the computer it is attached to, just not working on the workgroup
network (Wireless), and like I said, ALL the file sharing is working, just
not the printer sharing, even though it appears to add the network printer.
I've tried several different ways of adding the network printer, but all end
up the same way not printing and giving error msg.

Kevin wrote:
> No changes to firewalls; in fact, I disabled the Windows Firewall on the XP
> systems to see if I could get the printer thing working. ALL of my file
> sharing is working for some odd reason - it's just the printer sharing. I
> understand about the drivers supposed to d/l from the network, but it's not
> happening, I just get a message saying I successfully completed adding the
> network printer, but when I try to print from it, I get the error
> (IMMEDIATELY). I can even dbl click on the printer and set print properties,
> but can't print. I can even access the printer properties via web browser
> through IIS, but no can print. I even tried dragNdrop ops to get SOMETHING
> to print, but no dice.
>
> Interestingly enough, when this first occurred, I checked the printer and it
> would NOT work from the attached printer; I uninstalled the printer,
> rebooted, and reinstalled the printer.
>
> I also tried renaming the home network workgroup, but I would NOT recommend
> that for anyone with little experience............. it only took me a couple
> of hours to "flush" the old settings in all three computers.......doh and
> the router.
>
> I also tried to "reset" the printer by unplugging, but it is working fine
> within the computer it is attached to, just not working on the workgroup
> network (Wireless), and like I said, ALL the file sharing is working, just
> not the printer sharing, even though it appears to add the network printer.
> I've tried several different ways of adding the network printer, but all end
> up the same way not printing and giving error msg.

Have you tried loading the printer software onto the XP computers? (from printer
install CD) It's my understanding you don't need to do this but I think it will
insure the correct driver is available on the XP machine. Could be a problem
because of Win2K and WinXP. Maybe the driver that the XP machine needed was not
on the 2K machine.

Previously, yes; I did have the XP driver on the wireless systems. Funny
thing is that the XP driver also says 2000 on it, and the first time I shared
the printer with 1 other system, I did not use the XP/2000 driver and the
printer sharing worked (Non wireless) between printer attached to 2000 system
and another XP system.

Now that I'm thinking about it - I don't think I've been able to print from
the printer since I've gone wireless.......... I think I'll try getting the
XP/2000 driver and install this from "add/remove" hardware. Thanks for your
help, hope this works............ if not, I suppose it could be the
printer.............

"Kevin" wrote:

> Previously, yes; I did have the XP driver on the wireless systems. Funny
> thing is that the XP driver also says 2000 on it, and the first time I shared
> the printer with 1 other system, I did not use the XP/2000 driver and the
> printer sharing worked (Non wireless) between printer attached to 2000 system
> and another XP system.
>
> Now that I'm thinking about it - I don't think I've been able to print from
> the printer since I've gone wireless.......... I think I'll try getting the
> XP/2000 driver and install this from "add/remove" hardware. Thanks for your
> help, hope this works............ if not, I suppose it could be the
> printer.............
>
> "DanR" wrote:
>
> > Have you tried loading the printer software onto the XP computers? (from printer
> > install CD) It's my understanding you don't need to do this but I think it will
> > insure the correct driver is available on the XP machine. Could be a problem
> > because of Win2K and WinXP. Maybe the driver that the XP machine needed was not
> > on the 2K machine.

OK - IT WORKED! But this is NOT how it is advertised to work, although I
guess I shouldn't complain. Computers and networks can be strange
animals...............

This is how I got it to work:
Kept the 2000 system intact w/its drivers

Deleted EVERYTHING hp/hewlett packard on the XP wireless systems, rebooted
and downloaded the XP driver for the printer, then extracted the files, but
did NOT run the setup. Includes uninstalling printer software

Then, I used Add/Remove Hardware to point to the network printer location
and name when it asked which port(s) on a drop down menu, followed the
prompts for the location of the driver, which was in the extracted files.
Oddly enough, this by itself did not show the new printer on my
Printer/Faxes.............

THEN, since the new printer was not added, I immediately tried to add a new
network printer, did the search and selected it, and it actually asked a few
more questions this time, like did I want to share it, and even give it a
share name, then it asked if I wanted to print a test page (Previously, it
did not, and I had to access the printer properties to try and print the test
page)

Well, it worked, so I'm off to do this with the laptop....... Thanks for
the help!!

danr

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2003

Kevin wrote:
> "Kevin" wrote:
>
>> Previously, yes; I did have the XP driver on the wireless systems. Funny
>> thing is that the XP driver also says 2000 on it, and the first time I shared
>> the printer with 1 other system, I did not use the XP/2000 driver and the
>> printer sharing worked (Non wireless) between printer attached to 2000 system
>> and another XP system.
>>
>> Now that I'm thinking about it - I don't think I've been able to print from
>> the printer since I've gone wireless.......... I think I'll try getting the
>> XP/2000 driver and install this from "add/remove" hardware. Thanks for your
>> help, hope this works............ if not, I suppose it could be the
>> printer.............
>>
>> "DanR" wrote:
>>
>>> Have you tried loading the printer software onto the XP computers? (from
>>> printer install CD) It's my understanding you don't need to do this but I
>>> think it will insure the correct driver is available on the XP machine.
>>> Could be a problem because of Win2K and WinXP. Maybe the driver that the XP
>>> machine needed was not on the 2K machine.
>>>

> OK - IT WORKED! But this is NOT how it is advertised to work, although I
> guess I shouldn't complain. Computers and networks can be strange
> animals...............
>
> This is how I got it to work:
> Kept the 2000 system intact w/its drivers
>
> Deleted EVERYTHING hp/hewlett packard on the XP wireless systems, rebooted
> and downloaded the XP driver for the printer, then extracted the files, but
> did NOT run the setup. Includes uninstalling printer software
>
> Then, I used Add/Remove Hardware to point to the network printer location
> and name when it asked which port(s) on a drop down menu, followed the
> prompts for the location of the driver, which was in the extracted files.
> Oddly enough, this by itself did not show the new printer on my
> Printer/Faxes.............
>
> THEN, since the new printer was not added, I immediately tried to add a new
> network printer, did the search and selected it, and it actually asked a few
> more questions this time, like did I want to share it, and even give it a
> share name, then it asked if I wanted to print a test page (Previously, it
> did not, and I had to access the printer properties to try and print the test
> page)
>
> Well, it worked, so I'm off to do this with the laptop....... Thanks for
> the help!!

Glad to hear you're up and running. Sometimes it's just persistence that fixes
the problem. I had similar problems about 2 years ago with XP and ME machines.

"DanR" wrote:

> Glad to hear you're up and running. Sometimes it's just persistence that fixes
> the problem. I had similar problems about 2 years ago with XP and ME machines.

Well................. the laptop is proving to be more of a pain than I
thought.......... it is NOT giving me the option under Add/Remove hardware
to select the network location for the printer; however, I did try the
standard TCP/IP port and named the port where the printer was attached
(USB001) and it "SEEMED" to be working, but had similar results.....no
printing.

I think it might have something to do with the ability of the laptop to
connect to resources on the workgroup wireless network; I did not have this
problem with the desktop XP on the wireless.......

Sometimes I can connect through using "View Workgroup Computers", but when
you search your windows network and you have the option to select from the 3
different places (Choosing the MS Windows Networks) I am unable to connect.
It's really weird, my signal strength is "excellent" and I've even tried to
"repair" the connection without success. I am trying a shutdown so we'll see
how that works.

TRENDING THREADS