Your question

Disk Management problems in windows 7

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Windows 7
  • Disk Management
Last response: in Windows 7
February 26, 2011 3:59:16 PM

I have installed Windows 7 with SP1, there appears to be a problem with the order of the Drives’.
In the BIOS the Drives' are CORRECT.
They are all SATA Drives’
Port: 0 200 GB O/S C:
Port: 1 500 GB Data D:
Port: 2 1TB Data E:
Port: 3 400 GB Data F:

In WINDOWS 7
THEY HAVE ALL MOVED ABOUT IN, Disk Management etc
Port: 0 SHOWS AS 1TB Data E:
Port: 1 SHOWS AS 400 GB Data F:
Port: 2 SHOWS AS 200 GB OPERATING SYSTEM C:
Port: 3 SHOWS AS 500 GB Data D:

WHEN I DO A DOS CHECK THEY ALL SHOW IN CORRECT ORDER,
IF I TAKE OUT THE 1TB DRIVE THEY ALL RETURN TO THERE CORRECT PORTS.

(THIS DRIVE HAS BEEB REPLACED SO IT IS NOT THE DRIVE)
Please note: I have reformatted all Drives’, reinstalled Windows 7 at least 3 times.
WHAT IS WRONG???

PLEASE NOTE THIS IS THE SAME SET UP WHEN IT WAS RUNNING WINDOWS XP AND THAT WAS FINE.
The Motherboard is a GA-MA790X-DS4

More about : disk management problems windows

a c 209 $ Windows 7
February 27, 2011 12:13:19 AM

When you say that the 1TB shows as "Port: 0" in Windows Disk Management, do you mean that it's listed as "Disk 0" in the lower section of the middle pane?
m
l
March 11, 2011 3:38:48 PM

sminlal said:
When you say that the 1TB shows as "Port: 0" in Windows Disk Management, do you mean that it's listed as "Disk 0" in the lower section of the middle pane?

YES. How an I do a snap shot of my Disk Management File so you can see it
m
l
a c 209 $ Windows 7
March 11, 2011 5:28:36 PM

I'm guessing that the issue is the way Windows enumerates the ports. Are ports 0 and 1 on a different controller than ports 2 and 3? If may be that Windows 7 has a different priority as to which controller it enumerates first.

I'm not sure why this should be a problem, though - the port number is basically irrelevant since application software goes solely by the drive letter. And even for utility software which may show port numbers you should still be able to use the volume names, or at worst the drive sizes to distinguish between them.
m
l
!