asus p4p800 deluxe usb/firewire question

Upon my recommendation, one of my friends bought a new P4P800 deluxe
motherboard to upgrade his system. Last night he called me to tell me
that the front USB connectors did not work.

When I took a look at his machine this morning, he had connected the
Firewire cable to the USB connector. I switched the cables around and
the front USB ports now works fine.

His concern afterwards is that the P4P800 deluxe manual says that
connecting a firewire cable to the motherboards usb connectors will
damage the motherboard.

Am I correct in presuming that because the firewire cable that had
been mistakenly connected to the usb connector on the motherboard
never had a device connected to it is the reason the motherboard was
not damaged?

I'm guess that if he had plugged a firewire device into it that it
would have shorted out because usb and firewire use a different
pin-layout.

Pete
1 answer Last reply
More about asus p4p800 deluxe firewire question
  1. If it was an adaptor, then the pin layout differences would have been taken into account. The damage would have come from power constraints and clock speeds.

Homebuilt Firewire USB Motherboards Systems