Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

asus p4p800 deluxe usb/firewire question

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Firewire
  • USB
  • Motherboards
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b B Homebuilt system
March 30, 2004 11:12:49 PM

Upon my recommendation, one of my friends bought a new P4P800 deluxe
motherboard to upgrade his system. Last night he called me to tell me
that the front USB connectors did not work.

When I took a look at his machine this morning, he had connected the
Firewire cable to the USB connector. I switched the cables around and
the front USB ports now works fine.

His concern afterwards is that the P4P800 deluxe manual says that
connecting a firewire cable to the motherboards usb connectors will
damage the motherboard.

Am I correct in presuming that because the firewire cable that had
been mistakenly connected to the usb connector on the motherboard
never had a device connected to it is the reason the motherboard was
not damaged?

I'm guess that if he had plugged a firewire device into it that it
would have shorted out because usb and firewire use a different
pin-layout.

Pete

More about : asus p4p800 deluxe usb firewire question

April 12, 2006 7:22:32 PM

If it was an adaptor, then the pin layout differences would have been taken into account. The damage would have come from power constraints and clock speeds.