MAME32 Full Screen Not On All Games

Hi all,
Quick question, I have a cabinet (Atomiswave) running a VGA monitor,
MAME32 under Win98 and some of the games (most) do not run as full
screen. Battlezone from example is fine, but things like Donkey Kong
run centred with loads of black border.
I have set the hardware stretching on, etc but still no joy. I was
wondering if it may be the graphics card, I have a on-board built in
card on a Jetway PM800DM and thought masybe it does not support
hardware stretching
Any ideas / thoughts?
Cheers
10 answers Last reply
More about mame32 full screen games

    Sorry I should also say I have the latest DirectX installed

    Horizontal / Vertical games. As you don't mention, I guessing that you
    have the monitor set horizontally, hence vertical games will appear with
    black think borders.

    --
    Ian
    The Pinny Parlour

    IPM Invader - http://www.geocities.com/ipminvader

    <shaunsizen@msn.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    > Quick question, I have a cabinet (Atomiswave) running a VGA monitor,
    > MAME32 under Win98 and some of the games (most) do not run as full
    > screen. Battlezone from example is fine, but things like Donkey Kong
    > run centred with loads of black border.
    > I have set the hardware stretching on, etc but still no joy. I was
    > wondering if it may be the graphics card, I have a on-board built in
    > card on a Jetway PM800DM and thought masybe it does not support
    > hardware stretching
    > Any ideas / thoughts?
    > Cheers

    <shaunsizen@msn.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    > Quick question, I have a cabinet (Atomiswave) running a VGA monitor,
    > MAME32 under Win98 and some of the games (most) do not run as full
    > screen. Battlezone from example is fine, but things like Donkey Kong
    > run centred with loads of black border.
    > I have set the hardware stretching on, etc but still no joy. I was
    > wondering if it may be the graphics card, I have a on-board built in
    > card on a Jetway PM800DM and thought masybe it does not support
    > hardware stretching
    > Any ideas / thoughts?
    > Cheers

    Hello Shaun,

    Remember me? Hitesh. I sold a Jamma Cabinet to you last year.

    Anyway, back to topic, its a sin to stretch to full screen!. Live with the
    black borders, keep it original. And get a second machine just for vertical
    games.

    You might be interested to see what I ended up with :
    www.freewebs.com/pujara

    Regards, Hitesh

    gee in this day and age someone still donesnt get the consept of aspect
    ratios

    you have a choice see it with the black bars or see it streched or
    squished

    go play darius and try to fit that on a monitor

    dark marky mark wrote:

    > gee in this day and age someone still donesnt get the consept of aspect
    > ratios

    "What is this ass-peck ratio you speak of -- I just don't want any black
    bars in my DVDs or games! They're like so annoying. I got a fancy 20-inch
    TV, I want to see all of the screen!"

    "Shawn" <no@spam.com> wrote in message news:430BB3B7.A5AFD35C@spam.com...
    > dark marky mark wrote:
    >
    >> gee in this day and age someone still donesnt get the consept of aspect
    >> ratios
    >
    > "What is this ass-peck ratio you speak of -- I just don't want any black
    > bars in my DVDs or games! They're like so annoying. I got a fancy 20-inch
    > TV, I want to see all of the screen!"

    Ok, You turn your TV on its side, (that's Vertical monitor setting). Games
    like Galaga, Dig Dug, Pacman, Space Invaders etc have this monitor setting.

    Have your TV as it is and that's Horizontal setting, great for games like
    Double Dragon, Wonderboy, Silkworm, Street Fighter etc.

    If you have a vertical game on a horizontal monitor, you get some space on
    each side. There is no way around this fact.

    You can however build 2 machines, have a rotating monitor in your cabinet
    and there are a few very clever people out there that have devised other
    ways I'm sure.

    I hope that explains things a little better for you.

    --
    Ian
    The Pinny Parlour
    http://www.thepinnyparlour.com

    IPM Invader - http://www.geocities.com/ipminvader

    Hi
    Phew a flurry of replies, maybe I was not clear enough but its not that
    I want to stretch Hor / Ver games to cover the whole screen I agree
    that would make them look pretty awful, what the problem I have is that
    the game is playing centre screen with huge black borders all the way
    round it, its not using the whole height or width of the screen
    (depending on game) when it should be. The reason I got a huge monitor
    is that I don' then really have to spin monitors.
    Hi Hitesh :) Nice cabinet, mine is a VGA monitor so I'm driving it
    straight from the graphics card, I did have one of the ArcadeVGA cards
    but of no use to me now unless I get another cabinet with a true arcade
    monitor (and I know they look / play better in true arcade monitors but
    I was not going to turn down the cabinet on that basis!!)
    Cheers all

    shaunsizen@msn.com wrote:

    > the problem I have is that the game is playing centre screen with huge
    > black borders all the way
    > round it

    Have you tried
    Options -> Default Game Options -> Miscellaneous -> Use Additional Artwork
    -> turn off
    ?

    The Pinny Parlour wrote:

    > I hope that explains things a little better for you.

    Sorry I was just poking fun at those who dwell in the 4:3 world and can't stand
    to see black bars due to true aspect ratios...

    Try many different video cards and see if that helps.

    --

    > Hi
    > Phew a flurry of replies, maybe I was not clear enough but its not that
    > I want to stretch Hor / Ver games to cover the whole screen I agree
    > that would make them look pretty awful, what the problem I have is that
    > the game is playing centre screen with huge black borders all the way
    > round it, its not using the whole height or width of the screen
    > (depending on game) when it should be. The reason I got a huge monitor
    > is that I don' then really have to spin monitors.
    > Hi Hitesh :) Nice cabinet, mine is a VGA monitor so I'm driving it
    > straight from the graphics card, I did have one of the ArcadeVGA cards
    > but of no use to me now unless I get another cabinet with a true arcade
    > monitor (and I know they look / play better in true arcade monitors but
    > I was not going to turn down the cabinet on that basis!!)
    > Cheers all

Hardware Games Graphics Cards Video Games