MAME32 Full Screen Not On All Games

Last response: in Video Games
a b U Graphics card
August 19, 2005 7:05:49 AM

Hi all,
Quick question, I have a cabinet (Atomiswave) running a VGA monitor,
MAME32 under Win98 and some of the games (most) do not run as full
screen. Battlezone from example is fine, but things like Donkey Kong
run centred with loads of black border.
I have set the hardware stretching on, etc but still no joy. I was
wondering if it may be the graphics card, I have a on-board built in
card on a Jetway PM800DM and thought masybe it does not support
hardware stretching
Any ideas / thoughts?
Cheers
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 19, 2005 7:07:39 AM

Sorry I should also say I have the latest DirectX installed
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 19, 2005 3:01:15 PM

Horizontal / Vertical games. As you don't mention, I guessing that you
have the monitor set horizontally, hence vertical games will appear with
black think borders.

--
Ian
The Pinny Parlour

IPM Invader - http://www.geocities.com/ipminvader

<shaunsizen@msn.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> Quick question, I have a cabinet (Atomiswave) running a VGA monitor,
> MAME32 under Win98 and some of the games (most) do not run as full
> screen. Battlezone from example is fine, but things like Donkey Kong
> run centred with loads of black border.
> I have set the hardware stretching on, etc but still no joy. I was
> wondering if it may be the graphics card, I have a on-board built in
> card on a Jetway PM800DM and thought masybe it does not support
> hardware stretching
> Any ideas / thoughts?
> Cheers

Related resources
August 19, 2005 5:37:27 PM

<shaunsizen@msn.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> Quick question, I have a cabinet (Atomiswave) running a VGA monitor,
> MAME32 under Win98 and some of the games (most) do not run as full
> screen. Battlezone from example is fine, but things like Donkey Kong
> run centred with loads of black border.
> I have set the hardware stretching on, etc but still no joy. I was
> wondering if it may be the graphics card, I have a on-board built in
> card on a Jetway PM800DM and thought masybe it does not support
> hardware stretching
> Any ideas / thoughts?
> Cheers

Hello Shaun,

Remember me? Hitesh. I sold a Jamma Cabinet to you last year.

Anyway, back to topic, its a sin to stretch to full screen!. Live with the
black borders, keep it original. And get a second machine just for vertical
games.

You might be interested to see what I ended up with :
www.freewebs.com/pujara

Regards, Hitesh
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 20, 2005 3:30:13 PM

gee in this day and age someone still donesnt get the consept of aspect
ratios

you have a choice see it with the black bars or see it streched or
squished

go play darius and try to fit that on a monitor
August 24, 2005 3:35:46 AM

dark marky mark wrote:

> gee in this day and age someone still donesnt get the consept of aspect
> ratios

"What is this ass-peck ratio you speak of -- I just don't want any black
bars in my DVDs or games! They're like so annoying. I got a fancy 20-inch
TV, I want to see all of the screen!"
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2005 12:45:41 PM

"Shawn" <no@spam.com> wrote in message news:430BB3B7.A5AFD35C@spam.com...
> dark marky mark wrote:
>
>> gee in this day and age someone still donesnt get the consept of aspect
>> ratios
>
> "What is this ass-peck ratio you speak of -- I just don't want any black
> bars in my DVDs or games! They're like so annoying. I got a fancy 20-inch
> TV, I want to see all of the screen!"

Ok, You turn your TV on its side, (that's Vertical monitor setting). Games
like Galaga, Dig Dug, Pacman, Space Invaders etc have this monitor setting.

Have your TV as it is and that's Horizontal setting, great for games like
Double Dragon, Wonderboy, Silkworm, Street Fighter etc.

If you have a vertical game on a horizontal monitor, you get some space on
each side. There is no way around this fact.

You can however build 2 machines, have a rotating monitor in your cabinet
and there are a few very clever people out there that have devised other
ways I'm sure.

I hope that explains things a little better for you.

--
Ian
The Pinny Parlour
http://www.thepinnyparlour.com

IPM Invader - http://www.geocities.com/ipminvader
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 26, 2005 6:10:55 AM

Hi
Phew a flurry of replies, maybe I was not clear enough but its not that
I want to stretch Hor / Ver games to cover the whole screen I agree
that would make them look pretty awful, what the problem I have is that
the game is playing centre screen with huge black borders all the way
round it, its not using the whole height or width of the screen
(depending on game) when it should be. The reason I got a huge monitor
is that I don' then really have to spin monitors.
Hi Hitesh :)  Nice cabinet, mine is a VGA monitor so I'm driving it
straight from the graphics card, I did have one of the ArcadeVGA cards
but of no use to me now unless I get another cabinet with a true arcade
monitor (and I know they look / play better in true arcade monitors but
I was not going to turn down the cabinet on that basis!!)
Cheers all
August 27, 2005 8:52:28 AM

shaunsizen@msn.com wrote:

> the problem I have is that the game is playing centre screen with huge
> black borders all the way
> round it

Have you tried
Options -> Default Game Options -> Miscellaneous -> Use Additional Artwork
-> turn off
?
August 27, 2005 8:56:57 AM

The Pinny Parlour wrote:

> I hope that explains things a little better for you.

Sorry I was just poking fun at those who dwell in the 4:3 world and can't stand
to see black bars due to true aspect ratios...
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 27, 2005 12:06:23 PM

Try many different video cards and see if that helps.

--

!