How to put sensor between the CPU and the heatsink?

I am upgrading my XP CPU, also will have a Volcano heatsink. THe temp
monitor has a little "flat" thermistor that needs to ideally go directly on
the top of the CPU on or near the core. It will also have a copper shim.
Problem is, it is very flat, but still has enough thickness that the
heatsink would not be in good thermal contact with the CPU any longer if it
is placed between the heatsink and and CPU. So how do you position it?
2 answers Last reply
More about sensor heatsink

    Jim Caldwell wrote:

    > I am upgrading my XP CPU, also will have a Volcano heatsink. THe temp
    > monitor has a little "flat" thermistor that needs to ideally go directly on
    > the top of the CPU on or near the core. It will also have a copper shim.
    > Problem is, it is very flat, but still has enough thickness that the
    > heatsink would not be in good thermal contact with the CPU any longer if it
    > is placed between the heatsink and and CPU. So how do you position it?

    I also installed a Volcano fan and heat sink, and I believe the sensor
    goes UNDER the CPU chip. Look carefully at the instructions, and I
    think you will see an illustration of the wires for the sensor being
    dressed between the CPU pins.

    Ken

    On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 23:03:53 -0600, "Jim Caldwell"
    <Jamesw@grandecom.net> wrote:

    >I am upgrading my XP CPU, also will have a Volcano heatsink. THe temp
    >monitor has a little "flat" thermistor that needs to ideally go directly on
    >the top of the CPU on or near the core.

    touching the HS botttom as close to the Cpu core possible (NOT between
    HS & core !)

    -- Regards, SPAJKY ®
    E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##

Homebuilt Heatsinks CPUs Systems