Dual NICs?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.firewall,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking (More info?)

I am bringing up a new Windows Server 2003 server with dual NICs - one
private and one public. I am not sure how I should make the network
connections:
(1) Should the public NIC be connected directly to the router, or should
there be a switch between the them.
(2) Should the private NIC be uplinked to a separate switch to which all
our internal machines are connected?

Thanks in advance,

Mervin Williams
9 answers Last reply
More about dual nics
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.firewall,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking (More info?)

    The public NIC can go directly into your router and the internal can go into
    a switch that is linked to your internal network.

    "Mervin Williams" <mwilliams@innovasolutions.net> wrote in message
    >I am bringing up a new Windows Server 2003 server with dual NICs - one
    >private and one public. I am not sure how I should make the network
    >connections:
    > (1) Should the public NIC be connected directly to the router, or
    > should there be a switch between the them.
    > (2) Should the private NIC be uplinked to a separate switch to which
    > all our internal machines are connected?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Mervin Williams

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.firewall,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking (More info?)

    "Mervin Williams" <mwilliams@innovasolutions.net> wrote in message
    > I am bringing up a new Windows Server 2003 server with dual NICs - one
    > private and one public. I am not sure how I should make the network
    > connections:
    > (1) Should the public NIC be connected directly to the router, or
    should
    > there be a switch between the them

    Switch is optional.

    > (2) Should the private NIC be uplinked to a separate switch to which
    all
    > our internal machines are connected?

    Switch (or hub) is required. No "uplink",... it is just a normal
    connection. "Uplink" connections are for connecting two hubs/switches
    together.

    Then you must configure the Server as a Router or a NAT Device (depending on
    which applies) by using RRAS.

    --

    Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
    www.wandtv.com

    Server 2K3 has something built in to networking called Network Load
    Balancing. I'm not sure I've seen a setup using this to share load
    between two nics on the same machine though. Typically, it's used
    between multiple servers.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.firewall,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking (More info?)

    Just out of interest....

    I have heard someone describing that their W2K3 server has two nics, both
    were connected to their switch in the same way. They seemed to think that
    they'd get workload sharing or something(?). I tried to explain that he
    probably had a public/private configuration, one nic for internal LAN and
    2nd nic for outside world (connected to router), but he still maintained
    that they were both connected to the LAN in the same way. I was about to
    ridicule them, then thought I'd better double check that he was being as
    silly as I thought, and that it was not me being ignorant.

    Any useful comments?

    KarlS
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.firewall,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking (More info?)

    "KarlS" <karl@adm-partnership.co.uk> wrote in message
    > I have heard someone describing that their W2K3 server has two nics, both
    > were connected to their switch in the same way. They seemed to think that
    > they'd get workload sharing or something(?).

    Unless they were using *specially* designed Nics that come with specialized
    software & drivers to perform Nic Teaming,... then they will not get any
    kind of load balancing or load sharing,...absolutely not.

    175767 - Expected Behavior of Multiple Adapters on Same Network
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;175767

    But there are other reasons for doing that,..as Jeff mentioned.

    --

    Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
    www.wandtv.com
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.firewall,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking (More info?)

    That is for multiple Server, not multiple Nics.

    --

    "Mark S" <marks@aldec.com> wrote in message
    > Server 2K3 has something built in to networking called Network Load
    > Balancing. I'm not sure I've seen a setup using this to share load
    > between two nics on the same machine though. Typically, it's used
    > between multiple servers.

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.firewall,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking (More info?)

    On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 10:49:12 +0100, "KarlS"
    <karl@adm-partnership.co.uk> wrote:

    >I have heard someone describing that their W2K3 server has two nics, both
    >were connected to their switch in the same way. They seemed to think that
    >they'd get workload sharing or something(?). I tried to explain that he
    >probably had a public/private configuration, one nic for internal LAN and
    >2nd nic for outside world (connected to router), but he still maintained
    >that they were both connected to the LAN in the same way. I was about to
    >ridicule them, then thought I'd better double check that he was being as
    >silly as I thought, and that it was not me being ignorant.
    >
    >Any useful comments?

    A VLAN can run separate virtual networks through the same switch gear,
    so you could both be right. The IP addresses and netmasks assigned to
    the NIC would most likely tell you.

    Jeff
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.windows.networking.firewall (More info?)

    Most of the answeres seemed a little out of focus so....

    Yes you can team network adapters for agragate throuput and fault tolerance.
    It requires "special hardware".

    All or my core services servers use multiple teams for
    both speed and multihoming.

    "KarlS" wrote:

    > Just out of interest....
    >
    > I have heard someone describing that their W2K3 server has two nics, both
    > were connected to their switch in the same way. They seemed to think that
    > they'd get workload sharing or something(?). I tried to explain that he
    > probably had a public/private configuration, one nic for internal LAN and
    > 2nd nic for outside world (connected to router), but he still maintained
    > that they were both connected to the LAN in the same way. I was about to
    > ridicule them, then thought I'd better double check that he was being as
    > silly as I thought, and that it was not me being ignorant.
    >
    > Any useful comments?
    >
    > KarlS

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.windows.networking.firewall (More info?)

    Ig you want to go multihomed:

    public port should go into a firewall device and only the needed public
    ports should be exposed/translated. Firewall device goes into router.

    Private connection gets patched into a second firewall device. Firewall
    device is then attatched to the internal LAN.

    Tha being said, multihoming is not needed on the server. A multiport
    firewall can do all this with less cable mess.

    "Mervin Williams" wrote:

    > I am bringing up a new Windows Server 2003 server with dual NICs - one
    > private and one public. I am not sure how I should make the network
    > connections:
    > (1) Should the public NIC be connected directly to the router, or should
    > there be a switch between the them.
    > (2) Should the private NIC be uplinked to a separate switch to which all
    > our internal machines are connected?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Mervin Williams

Windows Server Networking Microsoft Wireless Networking