Antec: Sonata or SLK2700BQE?

Bonjour,

I plan to build a machine based on Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe and XP2500+.
I am in research mode for the case and hesitate between these two
models.
Sonata is lightly more expensive, has a 380W psu instead of a 350W,
one usb, one firewire and audio on front panel. 2700BQE is a bit
cheaper, one more bay (5 1/4), 2 usb ports up front...
I am interested (like many) by a quiet operation... I think fans are
the same. Is it right?
Any useful consideration? or suggestion in the same price range for a
quiet unit (I am not sticked with antec but when searching I often am
pointed to these models...)
Tahnks

More about antec sonata slk2700bqe

    "Peyo" <peyo57@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
    > Bonjour,
    >
    > I plan to build a machine based on Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe and XP2500+.
    > I am in research mode for the case and hesitate between these two
    > models.
    > Sonata is lightly more expensive, has a 380W psu instead of a 350W,
    > one usb, one firewire and audio on front panel. 2700BQE is a bit
    > cheaper, one more bay (5 1/4), 2 usb ports up front...
    > I am interested (like many) by a quiet operation... I think fans are
    > the same. Is it right?
    > Any useful consideration? or suggestion in the same price range for a
    > quiet unit (I am not sticked with antec but when searching I often am
    > pointed to these models...)
    > Tahnks

    I was considering both those units also. The other case I like a lot was the
    P160. The Sonata has 2 front USB, BTW. The fans are the same. My final
    decision rested on the smaller case (after I thought about the max devices I
    would put in this box ) with the added features. I have no freakin idea what
    I'm going to use them for, but I also had no clue about what I'd use USB for
    when I got it on my last box in 1997. If I was honest, I'd say it was
    because the Sonata is better looking and the BQE design is just old looking
    and screams DELL!

    In article <bb21e7ff.0404011246.1249dfc7@posting.google.com>, Peyo says...

    >Bonjour,
    >
    >I plan to build a machine based on Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe and XP2500+.
    >I am in research mode for the case and hesitate between these two
    >models.
    >Sonata is lightly more expensive, has a 380W psu instead of a 350W,
    >one usb, one firewire and audio on front panel. 2700BQE is a bit
    >cheaper, one more bay (5 1/4), 2 usb ports up front...
    >I am interested (like many) by a quiet operation... I think fans are
    >the same. Is it right?
    >Any useful consideration? or suggestion in the same price range for a
    >quiet unit (I am not sticked with antec but when searching I often am
    >pointed to these models...)
    >Tahnks

    I have built in both in the last 2 months and I much prefer the Sonata.

    The only advantage to the 2700BQE is the front fan mounts between the bezel and
    the frame, blowing air over the hard drive cages instead of pulling it in as the
    Sonata does. Otherwise, with the exception of the extra drive bay, they are the
    same.

    The Sonata gets the nod because the rails for the optical drives actually make
    sense. Why use rails if you have to remove the bezel to install the drive, as
    in the BQE? Plus, in the Sonata the filter can be changed without removing the
    front bezel.

    They are both fine looking cases that run very quiet and very cool and I think
    that you would be happy with either. I just find the Sonata to be nicer to
    build in and use.

    Here are some pics of them side by side.

    http://members5.clubphoto.com/ed363686/2161698/owner-4e67.phtml

    Don't ask how it got a Thermaltake power supply.....it's a long story but there
    wasn't anything wrong with the Antec 350...:)

    Ed

    In article <c4imhj0239b@drn.newsguy.com>, Ed_ says...

    >In article <bb21e7ff.0404011246.1249dfc7@posting.google.com>, Peyo says...
    >>
    >>Bonjour,
    >>
    >>I plan to build a machine based on Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe and XP2500+.
    >>I am in research mode for the case and hesitate between these two
    >>models.
    >>Sonata is lightly more expensive, has a 380W psu instead of a 350W,
    >>one usb, one firewire and audio on front panel. 2700BQE is a bit
    >>cheaper, one more bay (5 1/4), 2 usb ports up front...
    >>I am interested (like many) by a quiet operation... I think fans are
    >>the same. Is it right?
    >>Any useful consideration? or suggestion in the same price range for a
    >>quiet unit (I am not sticked with antec but when searching I often am
    >>pointed to these models...)
    >>Tahnks

    >I have built in both in the last 2 months and I much prefer the Sonata.
    >
    >The only advantage to the 2700BQE is the front fan mounts between the bezel and
    >the frame, blowing air over the hard drive cages instead of pulling it in as the
    >Sonata does. Otherwise, with the exception of the extra drive bay, they are the
    >same.
    >
    >The Sonata gets the nod because the rails for the optical drives actually make
    >sense. Why use rails if you have to remove the bezel to install the drive, as
    >in the BQE? Plus, in the Sonata the filter can be changed without removing the
    >front bezel.
    >
    >They are both fine looking cases that run very quiet and very cool and I think
    >that you would be happy with either. I just find the Sonata to be nicer to
    >build in and use.
    >
    >Here are some pics of them side by side.
    >
    >http://members5.clubphoto.com/ed363686/2161698/owner-4e67.phtml
    >
    >Don't ask how it got a Thermaltake power supply.....it's a long story but there
    >wasn't anything wrong with the Antec 350...:)
    >
    >Ed

    Sorry about that, it's a 3700BQE but I assume that you know that and that is the
    case that you were referring to.

    Ed

    Peyo wrote:
    > Bonjour,
    >
    > I plan to build a machine based on Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe and XP2500+.
    > I am in research mode for the case and hesitate between these two
    > models.
    > Sonata is lightly more expensive, has a 380W psu instead of a 350W,
    > one usb, one firewire and audio on front panel. 2700BQE is a bit
    > cheaper, one more bay (5 1/4), 2 usb ports up front...
    > I am interested (like many) by a quiet operation... I think fans are
    > the same. Is it right?
    > Any useful consideration? or suggestion in the same price range for a
    > quiet unit (I am not sticked with antec but when searching I often am
    > pointed to these models...)

    The Sonata has the better power supply. The 3700BQE has a few extra drive
    bays. Either case is "very" quiet, even with two 120mm fans. The Sonata
    mounts the hard drives transversely, the 3700 in the regular manner.

    --
    He said, "Bring on a brand new renaissance
    Cause I think I'm ready

    In article <106p4av89u71cb0@corp.supernews.com>,
    Zpoweretal@110.neZt says...

    > "Peyo" <peyo57@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
    > > Bonjour,
    > >
    > > I plan to build a machine based on Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe and XP2500+.
    > > I am in research mode for the case and hesitate between these two
    > > models.
    > > Sonata is lightly more expensive, has a 380W psu instead of a 350W,
    > > one usb, one firewire and audio on front panel. 2700BQE is a bit
    > > cheaper, one more bay (5 1/4), 2 usb ports up front...
    > > I am interested (like many) by a quiet operation... I think fans are
    > > the same. Is it right?
    > > Any useful consideration? or suggestion in the same price range for a
    > > quiet unit (I am not sticked with antec but when searching I often am
    > > pointed to these models...)
    > > Tahnks
    > >
    > I was considering both those units also. The other case I like a lot was the
    > P160. The Sonata has 2 front USB, BTW. The fans are the same. My final
    > decision rested on the smaller case (after I thought about the max devices I
    > would put in this box ) with the added features. I have no freakin idea what
    > I'm going to use them for, but I also had no clue about what I'd use USB for
    > when I got it on my last box in 1997. If I was honest, I'd say it was
    > because the Sonata is better looking and the BQE design is just old looking
    > and screams DELL!

    I went with the p160. Same case layout as the Sonata,
    but one additional 5.25" bay. (Important, since I plan
    on adding a 3ware 4-drive 3-bay hot-swap SATA cage in
    the future.) Dunno if it's quieter then the Sonata or
    not, but that's mostly a function of the power-supply
    and cooling fans anyway.

    "Toshi1873" <toshi1873@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > In article <106p4av89u71cb0@corp.supernews.com>,
    > Zpoweretal@110.neZt says...
    > >
    > > "Peyo" <peyo57@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
    > > > Bonjour,
    > > >
    > > > I plan to build a machine based on Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe and XP2500+.
    > > > I am in research mode for the case and hesitate between these two
    > > > models.
    > > > Sonata is lightly more expensive, has a 380W psu instead of a 350W,
    > > > one usb, one firewire and audio on front panel. 2700BQE is a bit
    > > > cheaper, one more bay (5 1/4), 2 usb ports up front...
    > > > I am interested (like many) by a quiet operation... I think fans are
    > > > the same. Is it right?
    > > > Any useful consideration? or suggestion in the same price range for a
    > > > quiet unit (I am not sticked with antec but when searching I often am
    > > > pointed to these models...)
    > > > Tahnks
    > > >
    > > I was considering both those units also. The other case I like a lot was
    the
    > > P160. The Sonata has 2 front USB, BTW. The fans are the same. My final
    > > decision rested on the smaller case (after I thought about the max
    devices I
    > > would put in this box ) with the added features. I have no freakin idea
    what
    > > I'm going to use them for, but I also had no clue about what I'd use USB
    for
    > > when I got it on my last box in 1997. If I was honest, I'd say it was
    > > because the Sonata is better looking and the BQE design is just old
    looking
    > > and screams DELL!
    > >

    > I went with the p160. Same case layout as the Sonata,
    > but one additional 5.25" bay. (Important, since I plan
    > on adding a 3ware 4-drive 3-bay hot-swap SATA cage in
    > the future.) Dunno if it's quieter then the Sonata or
    > not, but that's mostly a function of the power-supply
    > and cooling fans anyway.

    What is very effective in both cases is the rubber grommets on the HDD
    cages. They completely eliminate the HD "stutter".
    It is still louder than I'd like, but a huge improvement over my old
    machine. Not a big surprise considering there are 5 fans running vs. 2
    though. (1-PS, 1-case, 1-CPU, 2-video).

Homebuilt Systems