TV tuner card for LCD

Stacey

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.os.linux.mandrake (More info?)

Working on a new project. Building a simple box for an in wall mounted 19"
LCD to use for a TV/-digital image display frame- for my den. Mainly is
going to be cycling through 1000's of digital images but would like to also
use for TV as there isn't one in that room and it will be mounted where I
can watch it laying on the couch. I realize they make TV-monitor combos but
they are like $250 more than a monitor and seem bigger as well.

My questions are, I know LCD's like to run at native resolution. Are there
TV tuners that convert in hardware the standard TV rez to 1280 X 1024 so it
will display to native rez? Or software that will do this? I know the
regular digital images can be resized so that isn't a concern. I'm just
concerned about the TV output to the monitor.

Other than this, which solutions seem to work best, separate PCI cards or
"all in wonder" types? Since I'm not going to be doing other things with
this box and will be either using it for full screen TV or full screen
display of images, multitasking etc isn't a concern. I already have several
"too old for anything else" type machines around so all I need is a screen
and a video/TV card card. If a PCI works OK that would be cheaper for me.

Of the brands, which TV chipsets seem to work best? Again no video capture
or anything fancy, just TV display. While I could run it in windows 98se,
Linux support for basic TV would be much prefered. Oh and a remote would be
nice! :)

TIA for any advice.
--

Stacey

See http://www.dscaler.org/

Stacey wrote:

> Or software that will do this?

Stacey

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.os.linux.mandrake (More info?)

Stacey wrote:

> Working on a new project. Building a simple box for an in wall mounted 19"
> LCD to use for a TV/-digital image display frame- for my den.

Thanx for everyones help! And Dave, I think you missed I had the followup
set for alt.comp.hardware to limit the crossposting (my software does this
by default). Thanx so much for testing this for me, I have that leadtek
card on the way!

--

> Stacey wrote:
>
> > Working on a new project. Building a simple box for an in wall mounted
19"
> > LCD to use for a TV/-digital image display frame- for my den.
>

> Thanx for everyones help! And Dave, I think you missed I had the followup
> set for alt.comp.hardware to limit the crossposting (my software does this
> by default). Thanx so much for testing this for me, I have that leadtek
> card on the way!
>
> --
>
> Stacey

Oooops. :) I thought my posts were going nowhere. :) -Dave