How to pick a good LCD Monitor

Hello there.

I'm in the market for a new monitor as my CRT has gone blurry on me and I am
considering an LCD monitor. As for LCD monitors, what makes a good LCD
monitor?

Should the Contrast Ratio have a higher or lower value? What about
brightness? Does a DVI interface really make that big a difference?

I'm into playing games but do a lot of surfing and document editing in Word
and I understand that a lower response time is better for games.

I live in Calgary and these are the stores I shop at

http://www.memoryexpress.com/
http://www.computerrack.ca/

I am thinking about the following:

AG Neovo E-17A
BenQ FP767
NEC 1760NX

Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
5 answers Last reply
More about pick good monitor

    > I live in Calgary and these are the stores I shop at
    >
    > http://www.memoryexpress.com/
    > http://www.computerrack.ca/
    >
    > I am thinking about the following:
    >
    > AG Neovo E-17A
    > BenQ FP767
    > NEC 1760NX
    >
    > Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated!
    >
    > Thanks!

    I have the NEC 1760V (BK) monitor, which is the black version of the 1760V
    listed at compterrack.ca. I have years of professional experience adjusting
    video equipment including TVs, monitors and projectors, so I have a good,
    trained eye for picture quality. To me, the picture of the 1760V is quite
    simply PERFECT. But be aware that the factory settings (at least on my
    model) were cranked up to maximum brightness. Not only is this bad for
    picture quality, but it could actually be harmful to your eyes, as this is a
    really BRIGHT monitor that you won't want to stare at for long at max
    brightness (at least not when it's fairly new). I'm guessing NEC probably
    did that so it would catch people's eyes if it was used as a demo in a
    brightly lit store. To me, it looks right at 50 brightness and 50 contrast,
    which is as it should be. But from memory, the factory setting was all the
    way up to 100 brightness!!! You can't pay much attention to brightness,
    contrast or even response time specifications, as all of these numbers can
    be fudged by quite a large factor. You need to trust your eyes to pick a
    good monitor and ignore the specifications, other than NATIVE RESOLUTION.
    Native resolution is important, as it can't be changed or it will look
    horrible.

    BTW, the 1760NX you are looking at is identical to the 1760V I own, except
    that the 1760NX has a DVI input as well as the regular analog input. Some
    of the specs listed on computerrack are wrong. On paper at least, they are
    the same monitor. Oh, and my teenage nephew thinks it's a kick-butt gaming
    monitor. Go for the NEC! I don't think you'll be disappointed. -Dave

    Something to look at when shopping for an LCD is to determine what the
    manufacturers dead pixel allowance is. I picked up a Samsung 17" digital
    for a client, and, after 3 months, a dead (unlit or same colour locked)
    pixel appeared just off center of the screen. My supplier won't replace it
    until there are 10 dead pixels. I ate the cost and picked up an NEC. They
    seem to have a pretty good dead pixel policy.... much better than Samsung at
    any rate...

    The client was tickled pink with the NEC.

    Elp.

    "Chris Stephen" <c.stephen@!nospam.shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > Hello there.
    >
    > I'm in the market for a new monitor as my CRT has gone blurry on me and I
    am
    > considering an LCD monitor. As for LCD monitors, what makes a good LCD
    > monitor?
    >
    > Should the Contrast Ratio have a higher or lower value? What about
    > brightness? Does a DVI interface really make that big a difference?
    >
    > I'm into playing games but do a lot of surfing and document editing in
    Word
    > and I understand that a lower response time is better for games.
    >
    > I live in Calgary and these are the stores I shop at
    >
    > http://www.memoryexpress.com/
    > http://www.computerrack.ca/
    >
    > I am thinking about the following:
    >
    > AG Neovo E-17A
    > BenQ FP767
    > NEC 1760NX
    >
    > Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated!
    >
    > Thanks!

    In article <A1Fbc.18862$oR5.14654@pd7tw3no>, elpee@_nospam_._com_
    says...
    > Something to look at when shopping for an LCD is to determine what the
    > manufacturers dead pixel allowance is. I picked up a Samsung 17" digital
    > for a client, and, after 3 months, a dead (unlit or same colour locked)
    > pixel appeared just off center of the screen. My supplier won't replace it
    > until there are 10 dead pixels. I ate the cost and picked up an NEC. They
    > seem to have a pretty good dead pixel policy.... much better than Samsung at
    > any rate...
    >
    > The client was tickled pink with the NEC.
    >
    > Elp.
    >

    > "Chris Stephen" <c.stephen@!nospam.shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > > Hello there.
    > >
    > > I'm in the market for a new monitor as my CRT has gone blurry on me and I
    > am
    > > considering an LCD monitor. As for LCD monitors, what makes a good LCD
    > > monitor?
    > >
    > > Should the Contrast Ratio have a higher or lower value? What about
    > > brightness? Does a DVI interface really make that big a difference?
    > >
    > > I'm into playing games but do a lot of surfing and document editing in
    > Word
    > > and I understand that a lower response time is better for games.
    > >
    > > I live in Calgary and these are the stores I shop at
    > >
    > > http://www.memoryexpress.com/
    > > http://www.computerrack.ca/
    > >
    > > I am thinking about the following:
    > >
    > > AG Neovo E-17A
    > > BenQ FP767
    > > NEC 1760NX
    > >
    > > Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated!
    > >
    > > Thanks!

    I'm continuing to use a CRT (Sony 21") because I very much like to be
    able to change color temperature.

    Are there flat panels out there that can change color temperature?

    TIA

    Louise

    "> >

    > I'm continuing to use a CRT (Sony 21") because I very much like to be
    > able to change color temperature.
    >
    > Are there flat panels out there that can change color temperature?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Louise

    I'd be surprised if you can find one that doesn't have that feature.
    However, you need to keep in mind that LCDs can't be color-matched as
    accurately as CRTs. For the most part, this won't matter unless you are
    doing some kind of desktop publishing or video editing where color-matching
    is important. -Dave

    Dell 17 and 19 in are top-rated. Check the site often and you can catch 10%
    and free shipping (I got a 19" for $611 delivered in 3 days). USB ports
    builtin, dig or analog, rotatable. A+ image.

Homebuilt LCD Monitor Monitors Systems