Newly purchased IPAQ 4150 battery not charging & LED does ..

August 9, 2004 4:51:55 AM

My 30 day old 4150 works perfectly on all counts except till 48 hrs
back when the battery doesn't charge & the LED does not come on - it
just says Main battery is on " AC Power" with no indicator for
charging . Backup Battery shows 100%.I have tried :
1. Directly charging with mains for over 24 hrs
2. Several soft resets
3. Removing and physically replacing the battery
4. Connecting with HP website for diagnostics - it doesn't recognise
the battery
5. Talking to HP chat - they say go to a service centre
6. Even uninstalling Battery Plus software - in case of any glitch
Please help before my last resort of going to a service centre.
Many Thanks,
Ranjit
Anonymous
August 9, 2004 3:45:43 PM

"Ranjit" <ranjitshah@gmail.com> wrote in message
> My 30 day old 4150 works perfectly on all counts
except till 48 hrs
> back when the battery doesn't charge & the LED
does not come on - it
> just says Main battery is on " AC Power" with no
indicator for
> charging . Backup Battery shows 100%.I have
tried :
> 1. Directly charging with mains for over 24 hrs
> 2. Several soft resets
> 3. Removing and physically replacing the battery
> 4. Connecting with HP website for diagnostics -
it doesn't recognise
> the battery
> 5. Talking to HP chat - they say go to a service
centre
> 6. Even uninstalling Battery Plus software - in
case of any glitch
> Please help before my last resort of going to a
service centre.
> Many Thanks,
> Ranjit

it sounds like bad battery connections, can you
'wipe' the contacts on the battery & inside the
battery compartment?

roy

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system
(http://www.grisoft.com).
Date: 04-Aug-04
August 9, 2004 3:45:44 PM

"Roy Collingwood" <roy@roycollingwood.co.uk> wrote in message news:<WbOdnf7hFZlNyIrcRVn-tA@brightview.com>...
> "Ranjit" <ranjitshah@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > My 30 day old 4150 works perfectly on all counts
> except till 48 hrs
> > back when the battery doesn't charge & the LED
> does not come on - it
> > just says Main battery is on " AC Power" with no
> indicator for
> > charging . Backup Battery shows 100%.I have
> tried :
> > 1. Directly charging with mains for over 24 hrs
> > 2. Several soft resets
> > 3. Removing and physically replacing the battery
> > 4. Connecting with HP website for diagnostics -
> it doesn't recognise
> > the battery
> > 5. Talking to HP chat - they say go to a service
> centre
> > 6. Even uninstalling Battery Plus software - in
> case of any glitch
> > Please help before my last resort of going to a
> service centre.
> > Many Thanks,
> > Ranjit
>

> it sounds like bad battery connections, can you
> 'wipe' the contacts on the battery & inside the
> battery compartment?
>
> roy
>

> ---
> Checked by AVG anti-virus system
> (http://www.grisoft.com).
> Date: 04-Aug-04

Thanks - tried it but it didn't work.The battery seems fine since I
can charge it separately (outside the 4150) and the amber light turns
to green in a reasonable time on the charger.Also I tried a hard reset
but no change. Any other thoughts - Thanks.
August 10, 2004 1:25:16 AM

Ranjit,
Not sure what the battery contacts look like on the h4150, I have one on
order so should know soon.
If they are small pins like on some devices they could be stuck and
therefore not making a good contact with the battery contacts. I had a
phone like that once that required the pins to be set free so it would make
a good contact.
Just an idea.

Graham

> "Roy Collingwood" <roy@roycollingwood.co.uk> wrote in message
> > "Ranjit" <ranjitshah@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > > My 30 day old 4150 works perfectly on all counts
> > except till 48 hrs
> > > back when the battery doesn't charge & the LED
> > does not come on - it
> > > just says Main battery is on " AC Power" with no
> > indicator for
> > > charging . Backup Battery shows 100%.I have
> > tried :
> > > 1. Directly charging with mains for over 24 hrs
> > > 2. Several soft resets
> > > 3. Removing and physically replacing the battery
> > > 4. Connecting with HP website for diagnostics -
> > it doesn't recognise
> > > the battery
> > > 5. Talking to HP chat - they say go to a service
> > centre
> > > 6. Even uninstalling Battery Plus software - in
> > case of any glitch
> > > Please help before my last resort of going to a
> > service centre.
> > > Many Thanks,
> > > Ranjit
> >

> > it sounds like bad battery connections, can you
> > 'wipe' the contacts on the battery & inside the
> > battery compartment?
> >
> > roy
> >

> > ---
> > Checked by AVG anti-virus system
> > (http://www.grisoft.com).
> > Date: 04-Aug-04
>
> Thanks - tried it but it didn't work.The battery seems fine since I
> can charge it separately (outside the 4150) and the amber light turns
> to green in a reasonable time on the charger.Also I tried a hard reset
> but no change. Any other thoughts - Thanks.
Anonymous
August 10, 2004 3:21:03 PM

That happened to me too - I had the battery in upside down (yes it will
fit)....

"Ranjit" <ranjitshah@gmail.com> wrote in message
> My 30 day old 4150 works perfectly on all counts except till 48 hrs
> back when the battery doesn't charge & the LED does not come on - it
> just says Main battery is on " AC Power" with no indicator for
> charging . Backup Battery shows 100%.I have tried :
> 1. Directly charging with mains for over 24 hrs
> 2. Several soft resets
> 3. Removing and physically replacing the battery
> 4. Connecting with HP website for diagnostics - it doesn't recognise
> the battery
> 5. Talking to HP chat - they say go to a service centre
> 6. Even uninstalling Battery Plus software - in case of any glitch
> Please help before my last resort of going to a service centre.
> Many Thanks,
> Ranjit
Anonymous
August 11, 2004 1:29:32 PM

Can't you just exchange it where you bought it? Sounds lije a hardware
issue!

25:16 Subject: Re: Newly purchased IPAQ 4150 battery not charging & LED
does not come on

"Ranjit" <ranjitshah@gmail.com> wrote in message news:a930e843.0408090546.
cd7c795@posting.google.com...
> "Roy Collingwood" <roy@roycollingwood.co.uk> wrote in message
>> "Ranjit" <ranjitshah@gmail.com> wrote in message news:a930e843.
>> 0408082351.bcb0f71@posting.google.com...
>>> My 30 day old 4150 works perfectly on all counts
>> except till 48 hrs
>>> back when the battery doesn't charge & the LED
>> does not come on - it
>>> just says Main battery is on " AC Power" with no
>> indicator for
>>> charging . Backup Battery shows 100%.I have
>> tried :
>>> 1. Directly charging with mains for over 24 hrs
>>> 2. Several soft resets
>>> 3. Removing and physically replacing the battery
>>> 4. Connecting with HP website for diagnostics -
>> it doesn't recognise
>>> the battery
>>> 5. Talking to HP chat - they say go to a service
>> centre
>>> 6. Even uninstalling Battery Plus software - in
>> case of any glitch
>>> Please help before my last resort of going to a
>> service centre.
>>> Many Thanks,
>>> Ranjit

>> it sounds like bad battery connections, can you 'wipe' the contacts on
>> the battery & inside the battery compartment?

>> roy

>> ---
>> (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.734 / Virus Database: 488 -
>> Release Date: 04-Aug-04

> Thanks - tried it but it didn't work.The battery seems fine since I can
> charge it separately (outside the 4150) and the amber light turns to
> green in a reasonable time on the charger.Also I tried a hard reset but
> no change. Any other thoughts - Thanks.
August 12, 2004 1:51:52 AM

Thanks, all:
I cleaned the battery tips and did everything that was recommended -
then I left it to charge for 48 hours untouched and suddenly the LED
showed that the battery was "alive & kicking". I can't explain it but
I'm glad it has restarted and no further glitches till now. Ranjit
!